Friday 6 April 2018

Musical Theatre: Bernstein's Mass

Tonight, with nothing much on Meetup, I booked - with my £3.60 club, when they finally put something on - for Banana Crabtree Simon, at the Drayton Arms. A play about dementia, it might be terrible, but I could give it a try. Mind you, most of my recent experiences with them have been terrible, so when Up in the Cheap Seats ultimately advertised a trip to see Bernstein's Mass at the Royal Festival Hall, I booked that instead. Certainly closer than the blasted Drayton Arms..

And yay, nothing surprising kept me late at work! I tell you this though - what with burning the candle at both ends, I'm exhausted. Still functioning, of course.. but thank goodness it was a short week. Fully three 55s came before my bus arrived, but I was in decent time - yawning all the way - and shortly made my way to the venue. Now, they have a free film showing beforehand - interviewing people involved in the production, and such - in the Clore Ballroom, which is on the entrance level. So I moseyed down there - past the jazz band that was performing at the entrance - and the group found me before I noticed them!

Very interesting it was, too. They spoke with fervour about this huge project that utilises no fewer than 400 performers! Lots of enthusiastic schoolkids - and how great it is to get them involved in something so wide-ranging. We'd been worried about getting to the performance in time, especially since the film started late, and with some speechifying beforehand - never fear, it's only 12 minutes long, and we were soon moseying up to the hall. Through the wrong door, but they weren't bothered. We were scattered about the rear stalls:


There are, of course, no bad seats here, and I settled happily into my comfy one. In this shot, you can see the screens that hang over the stage, just about see the orchestra in its pit - and at the far end, you should just be able to make out the altar, draped in a white cloth. Behind the stage sit two choirs - they aren't the only ones to perform.

So, it kind of starts off as a (semi-) regular Mass. In Latin, mind. There's a priest, who first appears in jeans and a shirt, then is dressed in his cassock by three little altar-servers. There's a whole bevy of enthusiastic young people, bouncing about with religious fervour. The screens set the scene, reminding us what was happening in the world in the 60s, just before this was written - scenes of the Kennedys abound.

The cracks start to show at the Penitential Rite, where the kids start to get restless. It's interesting that Bernstein started out to write a regular Mass, then decided to make a commentary instead - remember that, along with all the other upheaval in the world at the time, the Church was undergoing its own earthquake in the early 60s, in the form of Vatican II. Make no mistake, the changes were momentous - the Mass was now to be celebrated in the vernacular instead of Latin, with the priest actually facing the congregation! Can you imagine what a change that was..? Never mind that most of the altar rails were removed, and - shock horror - Communion wafers could be received in the hand - while standing, not kneeling! And girls were allowed to be altar servers. Well, I never..

Pity the poor churchman, swept along by all of this. A marching band appears at the front of the rear stalls - at this point, you're better to be up a bit so you can see. Of the two choirs behind the stage, one is dressed in black, and does the serious, Latin stuff - the other, more colourfully dressed, is populated with kids, who start to kick off at about this point. And just wait until sundry audience members start to join in the protest marches! (Did I mention the dancers?!) As the politics hot up on screen and we zip through the 60s, the stage turns to chaos - it took me a while to notice that the priest had resorted to the altar wine.

The whole thing builds to a jaw-dropping crescendo. "Spectacular" is the best word I could find for it afterwards - and both I and the lady beside me leapt to our feet for a standing ovation when it did finally finish, two hours later, the Church having finally found its way out the other side. (Spoiler, nobody dies.) Wow, kudos to the performers - it runs again for a final performance tomorrow night, with the film beforehand again. Highly recommended. Most of us repaired to the bar, which unfortunately was closed, but hey, we sat and chatted, and marvelled at the sheer logistics in moving all those people - and all those kids - around. So glad I changed my plans and went to this.

On the way back onto the bridge to catch one of the many buses that stop there, I discovered a nifty path along the balconies! Must research an even better one. Tomorrow, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for The Inheritance, at the Young Vic - both parts, so the whole day! At least I can have a bit of a lie-in. With each part running to about 3.5 hours, I hope it's worth it.. Vanessa Redgrave takes part (only in Part II). We've got a table booked in Cubana between the two parts.

On Sunday, I had booked for London's Grime & Punishment Tour, with Walking in London. However, when I checked Crick Crack's Meetup group.. I discovered I'd forgotten about their story of The Liberty Tree - Robin Hood and Other English Radicals, at the British Museum! What's more, it's hosted by Hugh Lupton, and my second-favourite storyteller, Nick Hennessy. I'd have hated to miss this - thank heaven there were still tickets. Not to mention that I could blithely cancel the walk, as it's Funzing, and it'd already been used to amass a loyalty discount, so I had no penalty at all.

On Monday, back with Let's Do This for Nell & the Hot Mess Muggers, at Wilton's. Now, that should be a good night..

On Tuesday, the London European Club (LEC) advertised a free classical concert in St. John's, Smith Square. Email musikolondon@gmail.com for tickets, subject to availability.

On Wednesday, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to see Pericles, at the Barbican. Actually, tonight's organiser and I had some fun after the show tonight, trying to figure out when we'd see each other again - Wednesday, we deduced!

On Thursday, the LEC is going to Voices of America, at Sadler's Wells. Goodee, two nights in a row that I can walk! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 16th, tragically, a Crick Crack event that I found out about too late.. Red Bead Woman, with Martin Shaw at Soho Theatre, is sold out. Never mind, he's not one of my favourites anyway. Instead, back with the Funzing talk groups, London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night (until they cancel!), for The Story of Accent and Identity.

On the 17th, (nominally) going with London Science Events for a talk on Gravitational Waves and Beyond, at the Royal Institution. They've given no Meetup details, so I'm not anticipating a social evening.

On the 18th, Funzing again, for The Strangest Feeling: Déjà Vu, at Gabeto, in Camden Market. Presented by Anthony Peake, whom I spent a long time researching to make sure he's not a sceptic, as I have extensive personal experience of precognitive experiences.

On the 19th, back with London Literary Walks - he's only doing them fortnightly now, it seems. Well, he's covered half of London at this rate! This one is called Guitar Bands Are on the Way Out, Mr. Epstein.

On the 20th, I got the very last ticket to The Phlebotomist, downstairs at Hampstead Theatre. I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats - North London Friends are seeing it in preview, but it was already sold out for that night. For the 20th, one of the group is looking to sell her ticket, if you're interested - I didn't see that until I'd got mine.

On the 21st, I'm back with London Discovery Walks for yet another ghost tour - this one is  called Ghosts of the Old City - just like my last Funzing walk!

On the 22nd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for a film music gala at the Albert Hall.

On the 23rd, a Funzing talk - An Introduction to the Dark Net. At Sink.. For which I earned a loyalty discount, on account of all I booked recently!

On the 24th and 25th, back again with Up in the Cheap Seats: the 24th is for An Ideal Husband - part of the Oscar Wilde Season, at the Vaudeville. Stars father and son, Edward and Freddie Fox. And Susan Hampshire. The 25th is for Mood Music, at the Old Vic, with Ben Chaplin.

On the 26th, the LEC is attending a lecture at the LSE, on Euroscepticism and the Future of European Integration. Then I'm back to the highly non-Eurosceptic Ireland again, for the weekend.

On the 30th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for A Gym Thing - got a fright when I saw that, but no, it's a play - in the Pleasaunce.

On the 1st, I am back with North London Friends - to the Theatre Royal, Stratford East for Our Country's Good.

On the 2nd, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to The Writer, at the Almeida.

And on the 3rd, London Literary Walks is doing - ahem - Stalin's Doss House. Meeting at Starbucks, naturally!

No comments:

Post a Comment