Sunday 8 April 2018

Storytelling: The Liberty Tree - Robin Hood and Other English Radicals

Today, I had booked for London's Grime & Punishment Tour, with Walking in London. However, when I checked Crick Crack's Meetup group.. I discovered I'd forgotten about their story of The Liberty Tree - Robin Hood and Other English Radicals, at the British Museum! What's more, it was hosted by Hugh Lupton, and my second-favourite storyteller, Nick Hennessy. I'd have hated to miss this - thank heaven there were still tickets. Not to mention that I could blithely cancel the walk, as it's Funzing, and it'd already been used to amass a loyalty discount, so I had no penalty at all. Happily, it was also on an hour later than the walk - and I could walk to it. All good.

So, I had a leisurely getting up, and a leisurely stroll down - albeit in persistent rain. Along the way, a naive newcomer to the group asked on the event page whether we were meeting somewhere. As I explained, this group doesn't do that - but I said I was on my way, and would message when I arrived, and would be happy to meet. Of course, I never got a response - but then, reception is dicey within the building.

The usual off-putting security queue greeted me at the main entrance - I could have gone around the back, but this is handier for Crick Crack events. Me, I headed along the fast track, for which you're eligible if you have tickets for stuff. So there was actually no delay at all, apart from the guard taking a second to decide whether my nail scissors were ok. Inside, I headed for the cafe, where I thought the clementines looked tempting, and bought one - I was a little early for the show. Unfortunately, I only ate about half (while standing, as there were no tables) - it was chewier than I expected, and unpleasantly sticky. Instead, I headed in.


Lordy, I'd forgotten what a lovely venue this is! So dark, so completely quiet.. unusually for London. And such spacious, comfy leather seats (with back support) - it's no wonder I actually dropped off to sleep, briefly. I had no trouble getting a front-row seat - in fact, the place was only about two-thirds full, which is a travesty! Well, they don't know what they missed.


We started late, of course, to give people time to take their seats. The ladies behind me - Crick Crack afficionadas, by the sound of them - were surprised both by the lack of the "Crick - Crack", "Honour - Respect" response cycle that the Crick Crack Club normally favours (they concluded that it must be because Ben Haggerty wasn't there), and by the fact that the performers didn't bother to introduce themselves. Or, indeed, each other. Never mind - I, for one, was well familiar with both.

As Hugh explained, they'd have two halves, the first longer than the second - which is the reverse of the normal procedure. The second half would concern Robin Hood himself - the first, stories to "set the scene". Well and good - we were in the hands of masters, here. The first half, as it transpired, featured stories about the love of land, and particularly emphasising the value of brotherhood - the highlight, for me, was a soulful rendition of The Quiet Joys of Brotherhood, by Nick. I thought it sounded familiar - turns out that the tune is My Lagan Love, an Irish melody that I've heard many a time.

After a lengthy interval, we were into the Robin Hood legends. Told with gusto by both storytellers, this was generally a more lighthearted segment - but always with an eye to rebellion against ever-present tyranny. Wat Tyler and Tom Paine had their stories told, always with a reference to there being copies of Robin Hood available to peruse. Music was always hovering at the edges - I hadn't known that Hugh could play!

As one of the chatty ladies behind me remarked afterwards, isn't it great to learn stories of your own place? Well, exactly. And with a brilliant performance - and a beautiful venue - what a way to do it. I gave them five out of five on the survey we were given, on the way out. And so home, in rain that had at least lessened a bit.


And I got the last chicken and stuffing sandwich in the Co-op! Tomorrow, back with Let's Do This for Nell & the Hot Mess Muggers, at Wilton's. Now, that should be a good night..

On Tuesday, the London European Club (LEC) advertised a free classical concert in St. John's, Smith Square. Email musikolondon@gmail.com for tickets, subject to availability.

On Wednesday, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to see Pericles, at the Barbican. Actually, Friday night's organiser and I had some fun after the show on Friday night, trying to figure out when we'd see each other again - Wednesday, we deduced!

On Thursday, the LEC is going to Voices of America, at Sadler's Wells. Goodee, two nights in a row that I can walk! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 16th, tragically, a Crick Crack event that I found out about too late.. Red Bead Woman, with Martin Shaw at Soho Theatre, is sold out. Never mind, he's not one of my favourites anyway. Instead, back with the Funzing talk groups, London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night (until they cancel!), for The Story of Accent and Identity.

On the 17th, (nominally) going with London Science Events for a talk on Gravitational Waves and Beyond, at the Royal Institution. They've given no Meetup details, so I'm not anticipating a social evening.

On the 18th, Funzing again, for The Strangest Feeling: Déjà Vu, at Gabeto, in Camden Market. Presented by Anthony Peake, whom I spent a long time researching to make sure he's not a sceptic, as I have extensive personal experience of precognitive experiences.

On the 19th, back with London Literary Walks - he's only doing them fortnightly now, it seems. Well, he's covered half of London at this rate! This one is called Guitar Bands Are on the Way Out, Mr. Epstein.

On the 20th, I got the very last ticket to The Phlebotomist, downstairs at Hampstead Theatre. I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats - North London Friends are seeing it in preview, but it was already sold out for that night.

On the 21st, I'm back with London Discovery Walks for yet another ghost tour - this one is  called Ghosts of the Old City - just like my last Funzing walk!

On the 22nd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for a film music gala at the Albert Hall.

On the 23rd, a Funzing talk - An Introduction to the Dark Net. At Sink.. For which I earned a loyalty discount, on account of all I booked recently!

On the 24th and 25th, back again with Up in the Cheap Seats: the 24th is for An Ideal Husband - part of the Oscar Wilde Season, at the Vaudeville. Stars father and son, Edward and Freddie Fox. And Susan Hampshire. The 25th is for Mood Music, at the Old Vic, with Ben Chaplin.

On the 26th, the LEC is attending a lecture at the LSE, on Euroscepticism and the Future of European Integration. Then I'm back to the highly non-Eurosceptic Ireland again, for the weekend.

On the 30th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for A Gym Thing - got a fright when I saw that, but no, it's a play - in the Pleasaunce.

On the 1st, I am back with North London Friends - to the Theatre Royal, Stratford East for Our Country's Good.

On the 2nd, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to The Writer, at the Almeida.

And on the 3rd, London Literary Walks is doing - ahem - Stalin's Doss House. Meeting at Starbucks, naturally!

No comments:

Post a Comment