Monday 9 April 2018

Concert: Nell & the Hot Mess Muggers

Tonight, back with Let's Do This for Nell & the Hot Mess Muggers, at Wilton's. Now, that promised to be a good night. During the afternoon, the organiser warned us to be on time - the music was starting unusually early, at 7! Unfortunately, I had a meeting until 6 - well, I'd still make it in time for the music, but I'd have liked to be earlier.

Caught the #205 - Google Maps keeps trying to send me up the road, having little idea where my office actually is, but I knew I was closer to the fire station. So out I schlepped - the morning's rain had turned to looming mist, which obscured the tops of the buildings: quite an unusual sight for this time of year! Along the route, a little old lady sat beside me, fetchingly attired all in red - hat and coat, with a matching trolley bag. After a bit, she apologised for bothering me - but what day was it? I assured her that it was Monday. Turned out that she'd slept so deeply last night, she hadn't been sure what day it was! Worried that she'd miss her flight to Italy to see the family, she turned off the gas, unplugged everything, and out she went to Liverpool Street. Where the coach driver told her, ah no sorry, it's Monday - she has to come back tomorrow! As I remarked, it could be worse.. could be Wednesday..

I got off into rain - again - and had an interesting trek around backstreets, approaching the pub from the other side, for once. Well, the bar was already suitably crowded - our group had a space near the bar counter, which was very handy for both leaning on, and ordering; I made sure to hold onto a bit of that counter for the rest of the evening. Had a couple of glasses of very presentable house white - and, for once, food! I can heartily recommend the chips with garlic and oregano - I ate them at the bar, making a few folks jealous.

Terribly crowded, as usual - it was troublesome (especially while trying to maintain by real estate at the bar) but I did get one shot:


Beautiful, old-style music - the singing-along came when she broke into La Vie en Rose. My personal highlight, however, was when she dropped Dance Me to the End of Love into the repertoire.. ah, what a lovely show! Pity they played for such a short time - Mary suggested that they had another gig somewhere else. Perhaps - although they did take the time to have a drink at the bar, right beside us.

We stayed on for a little chat afterwards, but it wasn't long before we left - we'd already lost one of our members, whose friend had arrived, and didn't fancy joining and paying £1 to hang out with us, when it was her pal she'd come to see. So, they didn't. Others hadn't been able to make it - so it was a select group that ventured out into the persistent rain. But it was great to see them!

Tomorrow, the London European Club (LEC) advertised a free classical concert in St. John's, Smith Square. Email musikolondon@gmail.com for tickets, subject to availability.

On Wednesday, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to see Pericles, at the Barbican. Actually, Friday night's organiser and I had some fun after the show on Friday night, trying to figure out when we'd see each other again - Wednesday, we deduced!

On Thursday, the LEC is going to Voices of America, at Sadler's Wells. Goodee, two nights in a row that I can walk! Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

Next Monday, tragically, a Crick Crack event that I found out about too late.. Red Bead Woman, with Martin Shaw at Soho Theatre, is sold out. Never mind, he's not one of my favourites anyway. Instead, back with the Funzing talk groups, London Speaks Sessions and LDN Talks @ Night (until they cancel!), for The Story of Accent and Identity.

On the 17th, (nominally) going with London Science Events for a talk on Gravitational Waves and Beyond, at the Royal Institution. They've given no Meetup details, so I'm not anticipating a social evening.

On the 18th, Funzing again, for The Strangest Feeling: Déjà Vu, at Gabeto, in Camden Market. Presented by Anthony Peake, whom I spent a long time researching to make sure he's not a sceptic, as I have extensive personal experience of precognitive experiences.

On the 19th, back with London Literary Walks - he's only doing them fortnightly now, it seems. Well, he's covered half of London at this rate! This one is called Guitar Bands Are on the Way Out, Mr. Epstein.

On the 20th, I got the very last ticket to The Phlebotomist, downstairs at Hampstead Theatre. I'm going with Up in the Cheap Seats - North London Friends are seeing it in preview, but it was already sold out for that night.

On the 21st, I'm back with London Discovery Walks for yet another ghost tour - this one is  called Ghosts of the Old City - just like my last Funzing walk!

On the 22nd, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for a film music gala at the Albert Hall.

On the 23rd, a Funzing talk - An Introduction to the Dark Net. At Sink.. For which I earned a loyalty discount, on account of all I booked recently!

On the 24th and 25th, back again with Up in the Cheap Seats: the 24th is for An Ideal Husband - part of the Oscar Wilde Season, at the Vaudeville. Stars father and son, Edward and Freddie Fox. And Susan Hampshire. The 25th is for Mood Music, at the Old Vic, with Ben Chaplin.

On the 26th, the LEC is attending a lecture at the LSE, on Euroscepticism and the Future of European Integration. Then I'm back to the highly non-Eurosceptic Ireland again, for the weekend.

On the 30th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats, for A Gym Thing - got a fright when I saw that, but no, it's a play - in the Pleasaunce.

On the 1st, I am back with North London Friends - to the Theatre Royal, Stratford East for Our Country's Good.

On the 2nd, Up in the Cheap Seats is off to The Writer, at the Almeida.

And on the 3rd, London Literary Walks is doing - ahem - Stalin's Doss House. Meeting at Starbucks, naturally!

No comments:

Post a Comment