Wednesday 1 March 2023

Play: Afghanistan is Not Funny

Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) at the Arcola for Afghanistan is Not Funny, the true story of a British comedian, Henry Naylor, and photographer, Sam Maynard, in war-torn Afghanistan. Heading in that direction, I'd be passing close enough to O' Neill's.. so decided to try my luck at getting in there. Hallelujah - not only did I get a table, but it was the last one on the ground floor! Which has a better atmosphere, and quicker service - on the app. And wow, did the food taste good after what felt like so long, although it was only 10 days since I was last there!

I had a choice of buses - started with the #73, which was crammed; with downstairs full, and since I had a little way to go, I went upstairs. Which turned out to be just as well shortly afterwards, when there was an altercation between the driver and someone downstairs.. I couldn't really hear what it was about, or see it, being on the wrong side. Which was vexing. But I was happy to be out of it. Happier still to be on the less crowded #56 after a bit..

In the theatre bar, there were a few ahead of me.. I had a very nice glass of wine, which I could take in, as it comes in plastic. Sadly, they only do small or medium - the glasses don't come any bigger! But it is tasty. And we chatted away until showtime, my entrance delayed by the ticket scanner being broken! As the lady behind me remarked, "I'm glad you broke it, it's usually me..!"


The show is performed by the writer/comedian himself, and several photos from this trip to Afghanistan are displayed on the screen - this is the view from the side, one seat from the end, which I found fine. The double table-and-chair setup seems to have little function other than to give him space to roam around the stage, moving between them.

Advertised as 70 minutes, it definitely wasn't tonight - more like 90. They also started 10 minutes late. But did I mind?

No, I did not.

Certainly, the start of the play is entertaining - he's a very funny guy, and knows where the jokes lie. At some point in the play, however, he switches seamlessly to a more serious tone - we're taken, blow by blow, through his and his companions' personal experiences. Some are humorous - sometimes, the humour masks a dreadful, underlying truth. The horror of what the locals have to live through is only hinted at.

Some of what he had to say hit home - and in reconstructed sessions with his therapist, he (small spoiler) realised that what he was fighting with this play was indifference. The point, I guess, is to raise awareness. Of the fact that this is still going on, of the fact that there are less fortunate than we are, of the cynicism of armies and the governments that tell them where to go. Oh, he has plenty to say about that. And if it does raise awareness, that is indeed a good result.

I did also find it entertaining. As I say, he's a skilled raconteur. And it's a fascinating story. Runs till the 11th. Contains, as the warnings say, swearing and references to war. (Also had a flickering light, at tonight's performance.) As our group found, it's also a great source of discussion: but as one man said, the only thing worse than being talked about.. is not being talked about. Go see for yourselves..

Tomorrow, with the group again at the Peacock (I can walk to that!) for Bat Out of Hell, a musical based on the music of Meat Loaf. Awesome - just a pity it isn't one of the singalong nights..

On Friday, ending a run of UITCS with Lucrezia Borgia, by the English Touring Opera Company, at the Hackney Empire.

On Saturday, back cat-herding - Ivan suggested that whole day for, well, a lot of drinking. And food - he wanted to go back to O' Neill's. Well, he got in touch. To say that, unfortunately, he can't now make it. My other coworker from that company still can, though - as they've both said, it's been so long since they actually met each other! They can never seem to coordinate.. Still have to hear from my other ex-coworker with whom I'm in contact, as to whether he can make it himself.

On Sunday, back with Discover London at last - she does excellent walks, but sometimes they clash, and sometimes they sell out before I get to them! This one is Discover Historic Chelsea: From Quaint to Quant - 1660s to 1960s.

On Monday, back with - you guessed it - UITCS, for Romeo and Julie, at the Dorfman.

On Tuesday - not so much appealed on MeetupFree Stuff and Free Events does have Free Community Singing with Ros Hone and the Global Fusion Sound Singers, which you can attend on Zoom, or in person at Fossdene School Community Hall. Which sounds just fine - except that this is the sort of thing I keep cancelling! So I decided not to confirm until nearer the time. Which is just as well, because - predictably last-minute - Eleanor Salter Thorn, from Tuned In London, just advertised an evening of Iranian music with Shahab Azinmehr, with the World Music Meetup. I adore this kind of music - and for once, it's not all the way out in Rotherhithe! It's just such a trek.. no, this is in St. Ethelburga's Centre for Reconciliation and Peace. Which, ironically, is just down the road from where I last lived.. anyway, much closer than usual for these concerts! Refugees and asylum seekers get free tickets.

Next Wednesday - back with the Crick Crack Club, woohoo! for Goddesses in the Garden, at the Chelsea Physic Garden. Features my favourite, Clare Murphy, along with Sarah Liisa WilkinsonLaura Sampson, and Xanthe Gresham.

On the 9th, my final booking - for the week - with UITCS, for Brilliant Jerks at Southwark Playhouse. And wouldn't you know it, I still had credit on my Pay as you Go subscription, so got it for free! And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

No comments:

Post a Comment