Wednesday 29 March 2023

Dance: Creature

Tonight, I was back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) to Sadler's Wells - feels like ages, but it's not that long - for Creature, by Akram Khan! I absolutely love his work. Handily enough, I used my latest Theatre Token for this - would have used it for Phaedra, last night, but while neither theatre takes them online (you have to phone if you want to use a token), the National charges extra for phone bookings. So I used it for this instead.

Again, to The Lucas Arms - and I notice the first time I went here was the last time I was in Sadler's Wells! It was busy, but mercifully, not as much as last night, and I got a better located table. And the dinner was excellent - happily, accompanying the pie, they seem to have swapped out the cabbage for peas, which I much prefer! Still quite busy, mind - I got the impression the staff were eyeing my table, although they didn't try to hurry me. And as I was packing up, a group of three approached to ask whether I was leaving. So, business continues to boom..

As I was walking along Acton Street afterwards, would you believe, as I approached each of the two bus stops, a bus pulled up to it! Lordy, I wouldn't have such service if I needed it..

My, but it's a taxing walk from there to Sadler's Wells, a substantial amount uphill - and, as usual, I had the stairs to climb there. I certainly worked off that dinner! Got myself an interesting pinot grigio from the bar - yes, I generally prefer sauvignon, but I wasn't sure the one they had was worth it, so I just went with this. Which was cheaper, and fine. Better queue management than the National last night, I might point out - I neglected to mention it in last night's blog, but our queue was cut in on last night, and neither queue-jumpers nor the barman paid the slightest attention to the apoplectic reaction of people on all sides of me.. you have been warned. Much more civilised here. And we all chatted happily until it was time to go in - no problem taking my glass in, either.

I was in one of those handy seats to the side, one with no other seats beside it (N30):


Wow. After tonight, yes, I still love Akram Khan. The booming score is compelling, the imagery striking. Basically, some kind of creature is experimented on by an openly agressive regime - we are left in no doubt about the regime's ferocity, nor the creature's essential humanity.. The vision of the synchronised marching of the regime's soldiers bearing down on the creature is absolutely overwhelming. And as someone remarked, kudos to the dancer portraying the creature, who works visibly harder than anyone else on that stage! The set falling to pieces at the end is a nice touch.. you can kind of see how the structure lends itself to that.. Mind you, again as someone remarked, we were lucky to be sat up high, what with the live orchestra - it was loud enough for us, but must have been deafening to be closer to the stage!

Runs until Saturday. V highly recommended.. Contains strobe lighting.

Tomorrow, back with the London European Club, at somewhere called the Ugly Duck, for Synchrony, a female 12-piece string ensemble. Tickets from Eventbrite. As hosted by Eleanor Salter Thorn again! So glad to see her hosting events in more central locations..

I was keeping Friday free because Ivan is feeling thirsty again. :-) And for once, he seems to be sticking to the date, having booked us a table at The Lucas Arms (which, as he pointed out, has a smoker's area). We're hoping to have Martin - my other friendly ex-boss - join us, but he has more family commitments, which he's trying to juggle - we've told him to join us whenever. And this looks like turning into the first zapoi in a while - Ivan is talking about booking a studio, where we can drink overnight. Oy ve, watch this space.. So, not pushed about doing anything extra on Saturday.

On Sunday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for Orpheus Dismembered, at the British Museum, courtesy of Ben Haggarty. The event there that I'd already heard of..

Monday is film, so I was waiting for the film listings - and I'm delighted with what's come up. Far ahead of anything else on the list at this point - and rising in ratings - is Tetris, would you believe! Now, this is a game I used to love - and it seems it also has an interesting backstory! The chameleon-like Taron Egerton plays the American businessman who wants the rights, but it seems the inventor is actually a programmer in Soviet Russia. Cue lots of Cold War-style intrigue - right when the USSR was collapsing, in 1989. So, also looking forward to sights and sounds I remember from then! Also stars Toby Jones. Seems the real story wasn't quite as exciting as depicted - but you know what they say about not letting the truth get in the way of a good story! Anyway, the trailer looks fantastic. Streaming on Apple TV+ from Friday, if you have it.. In cinemas, it seems to be exclusively in the Everyman - not all of them though, and the closest showing to me is in the Screen on the Green

Tuesday, back with UITCS for The Unfriend, in The Criterion Theatre. A comedy about a British family that befriend an American lady while on holiday over there, and agree to keep in touch. Now she's on a plane over to see them - and they've discovered a terrible secret about her! How to they get rid of her - politely..? Sounds excellent. My though, I had terrible trouble trying to find a decent seat - everything left that was cheap seemed to be behind a pillar! and they aren't small pillars, as I discovered thanks to Seatplan. I finally plumped for something in the back row of the Dress Circle, where the pillars are thinner. Hey, you never know, I might be upgraded..

Next Wednesday, back with the Horror Book Club, at the Prince of Wales in Drury Lane, as usual. And wow, this month's book is a doozy - House of Leaves is a massive tome, which I started reading years ago and never did get finished. I couldn't find that copy, so ended up buying it again - but am I finding the time to read it? Well, I'm doing my best, and it is a cracking read. Here's hoping I get it finished in time, as it's quite dense.. I'm still only about 110 pages through a nearly 700-page story..

On the 6th, with a bank holiday next day, flying back to Ireland. Aer Lingus, because I left it too late to book with Ryanair, and the evening flights were gone. Now, I have an old friend, Vicki, in Cork, whom I usually go down to see once a year, staying the night - usually at Christmas, but she was too busy for me last Christmas. So we've arranged for me to go and stay on the 11th this year, coming back the next day. Now, that realistically means I can't fly to London before the 13th - but with nothing unmissable on the 14th, I'm flying back that day instead. I haven't yet had a chance to put in a holiday request though, and now the system security isn't letting me in! Honestly, you couldn't make it up.. Well, if I am denied the holiday, I'll just have to take the laptop with me. Which could get interesting, as I'd have to have it on in the car on the road to Cork..

I definitely have to be back for the 15th though, when I'm booked on another walk with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! This one is A City built by a Genius - Wren's London. And as of now, he's scheduling walks I haven't done for days I can make them! Very cool.. because I do love his walks. And lunches.

Now, I'm not exactly clear on what's happening on the 16th, when my boss suggested - quite a while ago - that we might have a jaunt to the head office in Tel Aviv! I haven't heard anything since, though - I must get around to asking him. The dates suggested were out on the 16th, back on the 21st. Watch this space..

No comments:

Post a Comment