Thursday 23 March 2023

Play: Further Than the Furthest Thing

Tonight, I was with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) at Further Than the Furthest Thing, at the Young Vic. About six different buses (at least, and that's not counting the ones where I'd have to change) could get me there - I chose the route that got me walking past the recycling bins, having - as usual - business to conduct with them. This route also took me past GBK - so that's where I ate, and boy was it comforting, on such a chilly, miserable, wet evening.

Not too long a walk from the bus stop to the theatre, where the others were stood down the back of the packed bar. I ran to the loo first - where artwork consisted of an interesting green splotch on the wall. And when I came out, we chatted briefly before heading in.


Looks for all the world like an ancient Roman amphiteatre, doesn't it? The stone-effect seats are particularly realistic:


Actually, they're nice and spongy - not hard at all. The first two rows weren't the most comfortable though, having no backrests - many people moved further back, to rows with back support: including two of our group, in the second half. It wasn't too full. Me, hey, I survived..

So - the visuals for this production are absolutely stunning. We go from a mockup of a Roman amphiteatre to - when the lights are down - the middle of the Atlantic, with an incredible light show, projected on the floor, that mimics the ocean, in its myriad colours, the waves pounding. Plus, a really beautiful singer pipes up from the side, evoking island life, I think. All in all, it's a breathtaking experience - and if you focus on the lights on the floor, quite dizzying too, what with the back and forth motion of the waves, and great sweeping motions, like sand being swept aside..

The play starts on a remote island in the Atlantic - presumably the South Atlantic, what with someone visiting from Cape Town. In fact, this is based on real-life events on Tristan da Cunha - the play being built around the true story. So, it all starts when a young man returns to the island after some months abroad. He's been raised by his aunt and uncle, who are delighted to see him back - but he hasn't come alone; he's brought a businessman with him from, as previously mentioned, Cape Town. And of course, he's got a business proposition..

The first half is interesting - we're immersed in a very insular island life, with a most distinctive dialect. They have their own customs - even the recently returned relative finds himself a bit at sea! and as for his guest, well.. he's like a visitor from a different planet. This won't be for everyone - apart from the dialect, not everyone can relate to the parochial nature of life that these characters take for granted.

By the end of the first half, however, events have taken a turn, and the second half is much different - and probably more accessible to most, being more familiar in style to the audience. Having said that, I was fascinated by the whole story - not to the point that I want to move there, mind, but I thought this was good. As I say, stunningly presented too.. quite a memorable experience. Runs till the 29th of next month. Oh, and I took a different bus home! Well, why not..

Tomorrow, back to Ireland for the weekend again. And hallelujah praise the Lord, Scream VI is still showing in Limerick! Earlier in the Omniplex, so I booked before they get the chance to &^%^$ change it again.. It moves the action to New York, where survivors have moved to start a new life - still has Courteney Cox, of course, and the classic Scream masks.. Contains strobe lighting, by the look of one of the trailers.

On Monday, I booked with the Happy Positive Group! For their weekly Monday trivia night! They seem to be completely online. But wow, looking at it lately, they seemed to have switched that week to the next day! Although, having cancelled my attendance, I then noticed that all Meetups were displaying in the wrong time zone, so were shown as starting five hours later than they actually were.. I complained, and they did fix it. Well, I probably wouldn't have gone anyway.

The best Meetup left for that day is with the Shanty Singers Colliers Wood. This is another of those things I once booked and ended up cancelling, so I said I'd hold off on booking that till nearer the time. But you know, when I looked more carefully.. this is a big complicated affair, with "warming up exercises", a vocal coach, a "practice session".. for goodness' sake. The more I read, the less enthusiastic I felt.

I finally gave up on Meetup, and have booked with TAC, for a Kirckman piano concert at King's Place. Should be nice, and is definitely close.

On Tuesday, I've booked for Phaedra, at the National.

On Wednesday, I'm going with UITCS to Sadler's Wells - first time in an age - for Creature, by Akram Khan! I absolutely love his work. Handily enough, I used my latest Theatre Token for this - would have used it for Phaedra, but while neither theatre takes them online (you have to phone if you want to use a token), the National charges extra for phone bookings. So I used it for this instead.

Next Thursday, back with the London European Club, at somewhere called the Ugly Duck, for Synchrony, a female 12-piece string ensemble. Tickets from Eventbrite. As hosted by Eleanor Salter Thorn again! So glad to see her hosting events in more central locations..

I was keeping the 31st free because Ivan is feeling thirsty again. :-) And for once, he seems to be sticking to the date, having booked us a table at The Lucas Arms (which, as he pointed out, has a smoker's area). We're hoping to have Martin - my other friendly ex-boss - join us, but he has more family commitments, which he's trying to juggle - we've told him to join us whenever. And this looks like turning into the first zapoi in a while - Ivan is talking about booking a studio, where we can drink overnight. Oy ve, watch this space.. So, not pushed about doing anything extra on the 1st.

And on the 2nd, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for Orpheus Dismembered, at the British Museum, courtesy of Ben Haggarty. The event there that I'd already heard of..

No comments:

Post a Comment