Friday 17 March 2023

Storytelling: Beowulf

Now, today is Paddy's Day. But for once, I didn't do anything related - I was back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for a performance of Beowulf, at King's Place. Mind you, when I mentioned it to my boss today, he did point out that Seamus Heaney wrote a well-received translation of the same work - there's my connection! Two Danish storytellers for this.

I don't like eating at King's Place - the service is dreadful. I might have gone to O' Neill's - but, given the day that's in it, and the number of times I haven't been able to get a table, I thought it'd be a waste of time. Then I thought of Nando's, which is on the way - so I went there. Now, I had to queue - but it wasn't for too long, and I got seated down the back, away from the door, which kept being left open. And wow, they've finally graduated to taking orders online - so much handier, not to queue at the till! And aww, they remembered I had a reward coming to me, despite it being so long since I was last at a Nando's - a red reward, yet! which basically meant I got my food for free, and just paid for the wine.

Service was quick - and wow, the food was delicious. I caught myself wondering why I hadn't been to a Nando's in so long - oh yes, they kept burning the chicken! Well, you know what? Not here.. I had no complaints whatsoever. I do believe this is the very first Nando's I've ever been in where the chicken wasn't burnt. Oh my goodness, I wolfed it down. Didn't really have time for their delectable chocolate dessert, but I treated myself to another wine, since it'd be cheaper than at King's Place..

Made it up there just in time, and was directed to a row - this was in the round. Ben Haggarty was MCing, as usual, and took a seat in the front row for the show. And in due course, our performers took the stage. Now, this turned out a lot funnier than I expected. Nay, hilarious is the word. A very physical performance, a very interactive performance. The two storytellers were lovely - one making very inventive use of a watering can. And it was a riotous evening, probably the most entertaining version of Beowulf I'm likely to hear. I do hope we have more of these international collaborations..

Tomorrow - awesome! Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners have a walk I haven't done, and which is scheduled for a day I can make it. How unusual.. This is Clubland: Secrets of the Gentleman's Clubs. Unfortunately, it turns out that this is one of the many days affected by rail strikes.. and the poor chap also seems to be having terrible trouble getting people to confirm whether they're coming for lunch after. I know that feeling..

And what a very good job it's in the afternoon - because that evening is a performance, in conjunction with the CCC, of Medusa, again at King's Place! An unusual take on it, from the evidence of last week's storytelling..

On Sunday, London Walks, Art & Culture Explorers are going on a Quirky London walk. And so am I.

On Monday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for a play called Women, Beware the Devil, set in the year 1640 - showing in the Almeida.

On Tuesday, I booked with The London Palestinian Rights Meetup Group for Taking Sides – A Conversation about Love, War, and Changing the World. Happening at Amnesty International UK. But you know, I thought I might just go to a film instead.. When the listings came out, top of the list was Rye Lane, a romcom set in South London. The trailer looks hilarious - this looks like much more fun than that talk, and since it is free, I have no problem in cancelling my attendance. Nearest place to me showing the film that day is the Vue Islington - which now has theatre-style pricing, with different seats at different prices. So I booked, to get a decent seat at the cheapest price possible..

Back with UITCS for the next two days - on Wednesday, it's for comedian Rosie Holt at the Leicester Square Theatre.

On Thursday, I'm at Further Than the Furthest Thing, at the Young Vic. Then back to Ireland for the weekend again. Might get to see Scream VI at last..?

On the 27th, I booked with the Happy Positive Group! For their weekly Monday trivia night! They seem to be completely online. But wow, looking at it lately, they seemed to have switched that week to the next day! Although, having cancelled my attendance, I then noticed that all Meetups were displaying in the wrong time zone, so were shown as starting five hours later than they actually were.. I complained, and they did fix it. Well, I probably wouldn't have gone anyway. The best Meetup left for that day is with the Shanty Singers Colliers Wood. This is another of those things I once booked and ended up cancelling, so I'll hold off on booking that till nearer the time. As is becoming usual.

On the 28th, I've booked for Phaedra, at the National.

On the 29th, I'm going with UITCS to Sadler's Wells - first time in an age - for Creature, by Akram Khan! I absolutely love his work. Handily enough, I used my latest Theatre Token for this - would have used it for Phaedra, but while neither theatre takes them online (you have to phone if you want to use a token), the National charges extra for phone bookings. So I used it for this instead.

On the 30th, back with the London European Club, at somewhere called the Ugly Duck, for Synchrony, a female 12-piece string ensemble. Tickets from Eventbrite. As hosted by Eleanor Salter Thorn again! So glad to see her hosting events in more central locations..

I was keeping the 31st free because Ivan is feeling thirsty again. :-) And for once, he seems to be sticking to the date, having booked us a table at The Lucas Arms (which, as he pointed out, has a smoker's area). We're hoping to have Martin - my other friendly ex-boss - join us, but he has more family commitments, which he's trying to juggle - we've told him to join us whenever. And this looks like turning into the first zapoi in a while - Ivan is talking about booking a studio, where we can drink overnight. Oy ve, watch this space.. So, not pushed about doing anything extra on the 1st.

And on the 2nd, I'm back with the CCC, for Orpheus Dismembered, at the British Museum, courtesy of Ben Haggarty.

No comments:

Post a Comment