Thursday 30 March 2023

Concert: Synchrony

Tonight, back with the London European Club, at somewhere called the Ugly Duck, for Synchrony, a female 12-piece string ensemble. Tickets from Eventbrite. As hosted by Eleanor Salter Thorn again! So glad to see her hosting events in more central locations..

Now, I know there are plenty of good places to eat around that part of town. Looking around on Google Maps, I suddenly came up with the Dean Swift.. I hadn't eaten there before, but I'd had a great drinking session there! At under 10 minutes' walk from the venue, it was in an OK location - I filled out the form, and the manager got right back to me to confirm the booking. Excellent! Mind you, this was one of those busy afternoons.. I should have had time to get the bus all the way, but I ended up leaving late, so it was Tube. Followed by bus! Happily, I got an earlier Tube than I needed, and the bus was right along - so, even though it was diverted (burst water main), I got to the pub just in time for my booking.


A smiley lady at the bar spotted I wanted to talk to someone - I told her I had a booking, she checked my name, and told me my table was upstairs. Which turned out to be almost empty - apart from a long table of Americans, sounding like army guys (to my untrained ears). I found the table with my "Reserved" sign on it, and the same lady took my drink order. When she took my food order, she was unsure which dish I wanted - I showed her on the menu, she apologised for her ignorance; seems this was only her third day! Ah, she was lovely, though.

I had the "marinated sirloin boccadillo" (steak sandwich, to you and me). Sounded good, marinated in red wine and onion as it promised to be. And OMG it was.. too messy to pick up and eat though, I had to use a knife and fork. She had given me a steak knife, fortunately. The accompanying chips were gorgeous too, if a bit salty - excellent, I've found another good eatery! I had a second glass of wine, while I worked my way through the sandwich - would have liked to try the churros you can have for dessert, but I didn't really have time. Raincheck..

And so to the venue, which turned out to be a warehouse. The guy checking tickets gave mine a cursory glance, and directed me to the bar - where the group was hanging out and chatting. Now, they were only serving non-alcoholic drinks - but I have to say, their "noughty" white wine was very tasty! Club Soda is the name, it seems..

When the time came to go upstairs for the concert, I was relieved to see that seating was laid out for us! and Eleanor had thoughtfully saved us some seats in the front. As there'd been no seating in the bar, I'd had visions of us standing..


You know, it's a curious thing - this is the first time I've attended a concert in a warehouse, but not the first time I've seen one; the Irish-language TV channel, TG4, has had lots of series about Irish music, where Irish traditional musicians collaborate with musicians from Brittany, or Newfoundland, who have the same musical traditions. And they're always hanging out in warehouses! The acoustics, perhaps..?

Well, the sound tonight was top notch - just as well, as they were recording. The programme threw up a few surprises - we were given free programme fliers on the way in, which detail what it is we were to listen to: but I'm not sure that the first piece, Ramifications by Ligeti, managed to convey the complex themes described in the flier.. it did vaguely remind me of a swarm of malevolent insects. Mind you, we had been warned. We were on safer ground with Stravinsky, which took us to the interval.

During the interval, I finally took the opportunity to resolve outstanding issues with my flat's water bill (yes, this is the level of detail my life has, these days). Sorted now - for the moment..

After the interval, we had a completely new piece - and the composer in the audience, which was nice. She herself described this as "heavy metal Persian" or some such.. Anyway, I fancied I could hear some Persian influences, and this was the first new piece I've heard in ages that I actually liked! Probably my favourite of the night, in fact. We finished with Bartók's Divertimento - and it was lovely to see accomplished artists in such an intimate setting. Really, a lovely concert - as all of Eleanor's are!

Bus all the way home, and as I was changing buses, I gave directions to a Spanish-speaking family looking for the Tower. In the night..? Anyway, they were glad to hear they could walk - less complicated than buses, when you're not familiar with them. And of course, it does look even more spectacular, floodlit..

I was keeping tomorrow free because Ivan is feeling thirsty again. :-) And for once, he seems to be sticking to the date, having booked us a table at The Lucas Arms (which, as he pointed out, has a smoker's area). We're hoping to have Martin - my other friendly ex-boss - join us, but he said he'll be late - he'll join when he can. And this looks like turning into the first zapoi in a while - Ivan is talking about booking a studio, where we can drink overnight. Oy ve, watch this space.. So, not pushed about doing anything extra on Saturday.

On Sunday, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for Orpheus Dismembered, at the British Museum, courtesy of Ben Haggarty. The event there that I'd already heard of..

Monday is film, so I was waiting for the film listings - and I was delighted with what came up. Top of the list was Tetris, would you believe! Now, this is a game I used to love - and it seems it also has an interesting backstory! The chameleon-like Taron Egerton plays the American businessman who wants the rights, but it seems the inventor is actually a programmer in Soviet Russia. Cue lots of Cold War-style intrigue - right when the USSR was collapsing, in 1989. So, also looking forward to sights and sounds I remember from then! Also stars Toby Jones. Seems the real story wasn't quite as exciting as depicted - but you know what they say about not letting the truth get in the way of a good story! Anyway, the trailer looks fantastic. Streaming on Apple TV+ from Friday, if you have it.. In cinemas, it seems to be exclusively in the Everyman - not all of them though, and the closest showing to me is in the Screen on the Green.

And then its rating fell today. :-( Now, top of the list is Mrs. Chatterjee Vs. Norway - based on the true story of an Indian woman, living in Norway, whose children were taken into care. Differences in perceptions of how children should be raised, apparently. Only showing in Cineworld Wood Green at a time I can manage - but do you know, I'd much rather watch Tetris. Watch this space..

Tuesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for The Unfriend, in The Criterion Theatre. A comedy about a British family that befriend an American lady while on holiday over there, and agree to keep in touch. Now she's on a plane over to see them - and they've discovered a terrible secret about her! How to they get rid of her - politely..? Sounds excellent. My though, I had terrible trouble trying to find a decent seat - everything left that was cheap seemed to be behind a pillar! and they aren't small pillars, as I discovered thanks to Seatplan. I finally plumped for something in the back row of the Dress Circle, where the pillars are thinner. Hey, you never know, I might be upgraded..

On Wednesday, back with the Horror Book Club, at the Prince of Wales in Drury Lane, as usual. And wow, this month's book is a doozy - House of Leaves is a massive tome, which I started reading years ago and never did get finished. I couldn't find that copy, so ended up buying it again - but am I finding the time to read it? Well, I'm doing my best, and it is a cracking read. Here's hoping I get it finished in time, as it's quite dense.. I'm still only about 120 pages through a nearly 700-page story..

Next Thursday, with a bank holiday next day, flying back to Ireland. Aer Lingus, because I left it too late to book with Ryanair, and the evening flights were gone. Now, I have an old friend, Vicki, in Cork, whom I usually go down to see once a year, staying the night - usually at Christmas, but she was too busy for me last Christmas. So we've arranged for me to go and stay on the 11th this year, coming back the next day. Now, that realistically means I can't fly to London before the 13th - but with nothing unmissable on the 14th, I'm flying back that day instead. I finally got my holiday request in - no word yet.. Well, if I am denied the holiday, I'll just have to take the laptop with me. Which could get interesting, as I'd have to have it on in the car on the road to Cork..

I definitely have to be back for the 15th though, when I'm booked on another walk with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners! This one is A City built by a Genius - Wren's London. And as of now, he's scheduling walks I haven't done for days I can make them! Very cool.. because I do love his walks. And lunches.

Now, I'm not exactly clear on what's happening on the 16th, when my boss suggested - quite a while ago - that we might have a jaunt to the head office in Tel Aviv! I haven't heard anything since, though - I must get around to asking him. The dates suggested were out on the 16th, back on the 21st. But that was when there were two writers - we lost one, and they still don't have a replacement. Perhaps he wants to wait until that happens.. Watch this space..

Anyway, I have to go back to Ireland the following weekend. On the 24th, back with UITCS for The Secret Life of Bees, at the Almeida - no seats left in the stalls! Seatplan made me wary of the cheapest seats, so I'm in the next bracket up..

And on the 25th, back with Over 40 Living the Life, for dinner at the Greenwich Yacht Club again. Well, it was good last time - good food, cheap prices, good company. Only me and the organiser so far - I'm sure there'll be more!

No comments:

Post a Comment