Wednesday 22 March 2023

Comedy: Rosie Holt - Women's Hour

Back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for the next two days - tonight, it was for comedian Rosie Holt at the Leicester Square Theatre.

I'd come very close to O' Neill's on my way - thought I'd eat there. And wow, they had tables free! But when I checked the app, to order - no chicken! None at all. Dunno what happened there - but all they had was mac n cheese or steak & Guinness pie. I love a steak & ale pie - but steak & Guinness, I find too heavy. I up and left, said I'd find something where I was headed.

I had some trouble getting the bus(es) there, too - I had to change, fine. But the second bus I got on decided not only to terminate early, but to head in the wrong direction as it was doing so. So I ended up on quite a different route! Thus adding some time to my journey. When I realised I'd be walking through Chinatown, I thought that might be a quick-ish alternative for food. And so, for the first time in over five years (!), I headed to New Loon Fung.


Plenty of seating, and service seems to have quickened up a bit. I always used to have the chicken in honey and lemon sauce here, and did this evening as well. Plus chicken spring rolls to start. And it was all yum! Wine - meh. Not having much luck with wine, this week. I finished just after the time I was supposed to meet the others, and legged it over to the theatre, where I met them just outside the auditorium. Mind you, as was pointed out, the bars are better inside the auditorium - so, in we went. And - joy! A decent wine at last.. as we chatted about the car crash that is Boris Johnson..


First up was Matt Hudson, who warmed us up with a mostly musical act - I particularly liked the bits where he "answered" several popular songs: so, for instance, starting with Delilah's response to the song "Hey there, Delilah".. Brilliant idea, excellently executed.

Rosie Holt felt much the same as we did about the day's events, by the look of it - the show tonight was topped and tailed by her impression of a Tory MP, and she had plenty of jibes about them: making sure, of course, to balance her satire with some jabs at the left! To be fair, I don't watch British TV much - or any TV, in fact, generally, unless I'm in Ireland. So I only had a vague impression of some of the things she was satirising. But what I recognised seemed well-aimed. Only thing I really didn't like was when she dragged a hapless individual onstage. He played along gamely, but I found her lampooning of him quite over-the-top. I don't think I'd have been as obliging, in his shoes..

Afterwards, for once, someone suggested a drink. Whee! So we headed for a nightcap to the Moon Under Water - a Wetherspoon's, so nice n cheap. As one remarked, it's a bit pricey for a Wetherspoon's - but for this part of town, rock bottom prices! And it was lovely to chill for a bit..

Tomorrow, I'm with the same group (mostly different people, though) at Further Than the Furthest Thing, at the Young Vic.

Then back to Ireland for the weekend again. And hallelujah praise the Lord, Scream VI is still showing in Limerick! Earlier in the Omniplex, so I booked before they get the chance to &^%^$ change it again.. It moves the action to New York, where survivors have moved to start a new life - still has Courteney Cox, of course, and the classic Scream masks.. Contains strobe lighting, by the look of one of the trailers.

On Monday, I booked with the Happy Positive Group! For their weekly Monday trivia night! They seem to be completely online. But wow, looking at it lately, they seemed to have switched that week to the next day! Although, having cancelled my attendance, I then noticed that all Meetups were displaying in the wrong time zone, so were shown as starting five hours later than they actually were.. I complained, and they did fix it. Well, I probably wouldn't have gone anyway. The best Meetup left for that day is with the Shanty Singers Colliers Wood. This is another of those things I once booked and ended up cancelling, so I'll hold off on booking that till nearer the time. As is becoming usual.

On Tuesday, I've booked for Phaedra, at the National.

Next Wednesday, I'm going with UITCS to Sadler's Wells - first time in an age - for Creature, by Akram Khan! I absolutely love his work. Handily enough, I used my latest Theatre Token for this - would have used it for Phaedra, but while neither theatre takes them online (you have to phone if you want to use a token), the National charges extra for phone bookings. So I used it for this instead.

On the 30th, back with the London European Club, at somewhere called the Ugly Duck, for Synchrony, a female 12-piece string ensemble. Tickets from Eventbrite. As hosted by Eleanor Salter Thorn again! So glad to see her hosting events in more central locations..

I was keeping the 31st free because Ivan is feeling thirsty again. :-) And for once, he seems to be sticking to the date, having booked us a table at The Lucas Arms (which, as he pointed out, has a smoker's area). We're hoping to have Martin - my other friendly ex-boss - join us, but he has more family commitments, which he's trying to juggle - we've told him to join us whenever. And this looks like turning into the first zapoi in a while - Ivan is talking about booking a studio, where we can drink overnight. Oy ve, watch this space.. So, not pushed about doing anything extra on the 1st.

And on the 2nd, I'm back with the Crick Crack Club, for Orpheus Dismembered, at the British Museum, courtesy of Ben Haggarty. The event there that I'd already heard of..

No comments:

Post a Comment