Thursday 2 March 2023

Musical: Bat Out of Hell

Tonight, with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) again at the Peacock (I can walk to that!) for Bat Out of Hell, a musical based on the music of Meat Loaf. Awesome - just a pity it wasn't one of the singalong nights..

Of course, walking south means I pass GBK, so I popped in there for one of their delicious burgers. And a glass of the cheapest wine in the city centre. And then walked on, meeting the others in the circle bar - two of us were in the circle, two in the rear stalls. And wow, I have seen a new high price for a glass of wine - they charge £14.50 for a large glass of sauvignon blanc! So I had pinot grigio. The chat, mind you, was excellent - and it was great, in particular, to get to talk to one of the group, whom I have hardly seen since the pandemic..


Now, what can I say about this? You're either a rocker, or you're not - if you're not, you know to stay well away. If you are, however.. oh man, this is fantastic. It's so long since I had an evening of rock - as I explained to the guy beside me, I was never a huge Meat Loaf fan, but I am a rocker. And it might not have been a singalong evening - but I challenge any rockers to resist the big numbers. The stage effects are excellent, with jets of flame - also a fair bit of strobe lighting. And it was funny - for the first half, the guy on the end of the row was jiggling, so the whole row was shaking. For the second half, it was the guy on my other side.. Fair play to them, the more action the better. As remarked by one of the group, the story isn't much - but it's fine, and who cares anyway?! Plenty of merchandise available as well, for those who want it.. So, if this is your thing.. what the hell are you waiting for? Runs till the 1st. And as the Meat Loaf fan amongst us pointed out, all actually written by the incredibly talented Jim Steinman. Go see.

Tomorrow, ending a run of UITCS with Lucrezia Borgia, by the English Touring Opera Company, at the Hackney Empire.

On Saturday, back cat-herding - Ivan suggested that whole day for, well, a lot of drinking. And food - he wanted to go back to O' Neill's. Well, he got in touch. To say that, unfortunately, he can't now make it. My other coworker from that company still can, though - as they've both said, it's been so long since they actually met each other! They can never seem to coordinate.. The third person I invited never got back to me, so it's just the two of us again, as so often.

On Sunday, back with Discover London at last - she does excellent walks, but sometimes they clash, and sometimes they sell out before I get to them! This one is Discover Historic Chelsea: From Quaint to Quant - 1660s to 1960s.

On Monday, back with - you guessed it - UITCS, for Romeo and Julie, at the Dorfman.

On Tuesday - not so much appealed on MeetupFree Stuff and Free Events does have Free Community Singing with Ros Hone and the Global Fusion Sound Singers, which you can attend on Zoom, or in person at Fossdene School Community Hall. Which sounds just fine - except that this is the sort of thing I keep cancelling! So I decided not to confirm until nearer the time. Which is just as well, because - predictably last-minute - Eleanor Salter Thorn, from Tuned In London, just advertised an evening of Iranian music with Shahab Azinmehr, with the World Music Meetup. I adore this kind of music - and for once, it's not all the way out in Rotherhithe! It's just such a trek.. no, this is in St. Ethelburga's Centre for Reconciliation and Peace. Which, ironically, is just down the road from where I last lived.. anyway, much closer than usual for these concerts! Refugees and asylum seekers get free tickets.

On Wednesday - back with the Crick Crack Club, woohoo! for Goddesses in the Garden, at the Chelsea Physic Garden. Features my favourite, Clare Murphy, along with Sarah Liisa WilkinsonLaura Sampson, and Xanthe Gresham.

Next Thursday, my final booking - for the week - with UITCS, for Brilliant Jerks at Southwark Playhouse. And wouldn't you know it, I still had credit on my Pay as you Go subscription, so got it for free! And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

No comments:

Post a Comment