Wednesday 8 March 2023

Storytelling: Goddesses in the Garden

Tonight - back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC), woohoo! for Goddesses in the Garden, at the Chelsea Physic Garden. Just the thing for International Women's Day. Advertised performers were my favourite, Clare Murphy, along with Sarah Liisa WilkinsonLaura Sampson, and Xanthe Gresham. Now, it's been so cold this week that I was worried - especially when I checked today's weather forecast, which was for unremitting snow! But upon closer inspection, I saw it was indoors, phew! They have a gallery, it seems. Gee, I had visions of us all turning into ice sculptures.. Anyway, I also discovered it was sold out.

Buses would have taken a bit long, so I took the Tube, eating beforehand in O' Neill's. Downstairs was packed, so I headed upstairs - which was deserted. Right behind me was a group of, it transpired, six young women. Well, the guys on "service" upstairs were obviously not used to it..

Firstly, while I got a table, the group of six was turned away. The place was nearly empty - he could have shoved a couple of tables together for them.

Secondly - I'm used to table service upstairs; it's slower, but it's the norm. After a few minutes of waiting, however, as he passed my table without enquiring whether I was ready to order, it occurred to me that - perhaps - he expected me to use the app! So I did, and was quickly served. (And it was delicious, BTW - except that, had I had table service, I'd have asked for regular fries, rather than the twisty ones that have become the norm.)

Thirdly, he looked so wary when he asked whether my food was ok - well, that's putting it more eloquently than he did. He grunted, "OK?" at me with, as mentioned, a wary expression.

Fourthly - an adjacent table had one person sitting at it for ages, alone for half an hour before a second person arrived. As I was leaving, they got up to find a larger table - the waiter was troubled at the fact that they were moving, and questioned them, to be told they wanted space for three. He had known this, and as he pointed out, had set their table for three. Seriously, it was one of the small tables! Really, he can't ever have waited at table before..

Well, off I went, and the Victoria Line was as packed as any Tube I've ever been on - I believe some trains had been cancelled on that line. I was just glad, when I had to change, that I was on the side where the doors opened! And the District Line was much less crowded. Unfortunately, I then had about a 15-minute walk - and it was, frankly, way too cold to be outdoors. Raining all day, too. I was so relieved when I got there. Had my name checked off, and she directed me through and to the right. Where there was a marquee, outside the building. The people ahead of me asked whether this was where the event was happening - Oh no, the lady said, this is an "amuse-bouche". There were cardboard cutouts where you could have your picture taken:


and a shrine, which I discovered was dedicated to Our Lady of Guadalupe:


Turned out you could leave petitions at the shrine in little bottles, which they should have told us at the interval, but forgot. Ah well.

Inside the building proper, stairs lead up to the gallery - but were blocked off by a sign, explaining that the show didn't actually start until 7.20, and directing us to the adjacent cafe. 7.20?! and me rushing to get there by 7! Just glad I didn't try to get there for 6.30, when the doors were said to be opening.. Anyway, I took myself into the cafe, where I was glad to see they had wine - although it wasn't fantastic. All the seating in there was occupied, though, so I took myself back to the marquee, which was OK as long as you kept your coat on. And were careful of the rickety tables. And when it was time, the usher moved through both cafe and marquee, shifting us all along.

For once, I didn't feel like sitting in the front row - dunno why. Anyway, we did indeed have four storytellers, all regaling us with stories of goddesses - Xanthe seemed to be directing proceedings:


(Kept forgetting to introduce herself, mind!) And then we had - not Sara-Liisa Wilkinson at all, but Lucy Lill! Not that we minded at all - she might well have been the most entertaining of the lot, tonight, with her stories from Mexican folklore:


She was followed by Laura, who is an excellent storyteller, if perhaps a bit more clinical than the others:


And ending the first half - and starting the second - Clare, with the bawdiest story of the night, involving the war between the Formorians and the Tuatha Dé Danann:


Note that, by and large, they dressed up - and Lord help them in such flimsy garments, on such a night! In fact, there was a prize for best-dressed audience member - honestly, I only spotted one person in the entire audience who made an effort, with dramatic black eye makeup, occult-type silver jewellery, and something long, black and floaty. It was a given that she'd get a prize! Other prizes went to folks who answered riddles correctly at the end - heavens, I'm hopeless at riddles..

They did all collaborate at the end:


But wow, they played a blinder - Clare's second tale a vivid tale from Egyptian mythology, Lucy with an hilarious story about a party goddess, Xanthe with a really unusual take on the take of Medusa. One of the prizes tonight was a book written by her - another was a book about Medusa, whose author is apparently doing a CCC session that the prize recipient is attending! as am I - read on for more.

So, another fascinating and entertaining trek through time with the CCC - which was being filmed by no fewer than two cameras. Wonder whether we'll see that footage? Just a shame the night is so cold - and, given the cold walk I had there from the Tube, I was delighted to see that the buses home would be faster than outbound, making them feasible. And involved a lot less walking. Mind you, I did have to stand and wait for quite a while..

Tomorrow, my final booking - for the week - with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS), for Brilliant Jerks at Southwark Playhouse. And wouldn't you know it, I still had credit on my Pay as you Go subscription, so got it for free! Looks like it's just me and the organiser, but how bad..

And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again. Now that the film listings are finally out for there, at the top of the list was one I hadn't heard of. My Sailor, My Love is an Irish, geriatric love story - a crusty old ex-sailor is looked after by his daughter, who gets in a housekeeper (Brid Brennan, looking a lot older than when I last saw her, in Brooklyn). The last thing she's expecting is for them to fall in love.. This is showing in the Odeon Limerick.

Ah, but today they finally released a rating for the newly released Scream VI! And it's a lot higher-rated - although it has dropped a lot today. Still, let's hope it stays at least as high as the other choice - I'd much rather see this, frankly! It moves the action to New York, where the survivors of the original killers have moved to start a new life - still has Courteney Cox, of course, and the classic Scream masks.. and this one is in Ennis, which is quicker to get to. And with a choice of showings.. Contains strobe lighting, by the look of one of the trailers.

On Monday, I'm also planning film. And with the London listings finally out (partially), I plumped for A Guilty Conscience, a Hong Kong film about a lawyer whose negligence gets an innocent woman convicted - so he sets out to put things right. Showing in the Odeon Haymarket - cheaper to book online, so I have.

On Tuesday, I was to go with The Hideout: Horror Sci-Fi Club London to a talk at the Horse Hospital, entitled Raising Hell, about horror and the British film industry in the 1980s. Bought a ticket - and then the organiser said he can't make it. I already have a ticket, of course - so I'll be going anyway. And the annoying thing is, he's deleted the event completely! It might have been nice to meet others who could still make it, you know..! This isn't the first time he's done this, apparently. Well, at least it seems to be close to me.

Next Wednesday, back with UITCS for Medea, with Sophie Okonedo, at Soho Place.

On the 16th, it's back to the Vault Festival - for Happy Factory, who have an airealist show. Not suitable for young children, apparently..

Now, the 17th is Paddy's Day. But for once, I'm not doing anything related - I'm back with the CCC for a performance of Beowulf, at King's Place. Two Danish storytellers, it seems.

On the 18th - awesome! Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners have a walk I haven't done, and which is scheduled for a day I can make it. How unusual.. This is Clubland: Secrets of the Gentleman's Clubs. I hear there was supposed to be yet another rail strike that day, but not now..

And what a very good job it's in the afternoon - because that evening is the aforementioned performance, in conjunction with the CCC, of Medusa!

On the 19th, London Walks, Art & Culture Explorers are going on a Quirky London walk. And so am I.

On the 20th, back with UITCS for a play called Women, Beware the Devil, set in the year 1640 - showing in the Almeida.


Back with UITCS for the next two days - on the 22nd, it's for comedian Rosie Holt at the Leicester Square Theatre.

On the 23rd, I'm at Further Than the Furthest Thing, at the Young Vic. Then back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 27th, I've booked with the Happy Positive Group! For their weekly Monday trivia night! They seem to be completely online, and frankly, the chances of me attending this are slim. But we'll see.

On the 28th, I've booked for Phaedra, at the National.

On the 29th, I'm going with UITCS to Sadler's Wells - first time in an age - for Creature, by Akram Khan! I absolutely love his work. Handily enough, I used my latest Theatre Token for this - would have used it for Phaedra, but while neither theatre takes them online (you have to phone if you want to use a token), the National charges extra for phone bookings. So I used it for this instead.

And on the 30th, back with the London European Club, at somewhere called the Ugly Duck, for Synchrony, a female 12-piece string ensemble. Tickets from Eventbrite. As hosted by Eleanor Salter Thorn again! So glad to see her hosting events in more central locations..

No comments:

Post a Comment