Saturday 11 March 2023

Film: An Irish Goodbye

Back to Ireland for the weekend again. With few enough travel issues, despite a broken-down train ahead of us on the track, on the way to the airport.. and a game of Ryanair musical departure gates when I was finally there. Our gate wasn't changed, but we were delayed - yet another French air traffic control strike, apparently..

When the film listings finally came out, at the top of the list was one I hadn't heard of. My Sailor, My Love is an Irish, geriatric love story - a crusty old ex-sailor is looked after by his daughter, who gets in a housekeeper (Brid Brennan, looking a lot older than when I last saw her, in Brooklyn). The last thing she's expecting is for them to fall in love.. This is showing in the Odeon Limerick.

Ah, but then they finally released a rating for the newly released Scream VI! And it's a lot higher-rated - although it dropped a lot on its first day. Still, I hoped it'd stay at least as high as the other choice - I'd much rather see this, frankly! It moves the action to New York, where the survivors of the original killers have moved to start a new life - still has Courteney Cox, of course, and the classic Scream masks.. and this one is in Ennis, which is quicker to get to. And with a choice of showings.. Contains strobe lighting, by the look of one of the trailers.

Well, I don't know what the hell Ennis is doing with its film scheduling, but when I looked again, only an early time was available - and that would have led to too much of a rush for me, rushing around for my mother, as usual on the Saturdays I'm back. So I headed for Limerick instead - and by the time I got there, only the later matinée in the Odeon was feasible. I headed out there. But when I tried to buy my ticket from the machine, that showing wasn't available.. wouldn't you know it, when I queued and asked at the desk, it turned out they had a technical issue with that screen. Upshot is, I didn't get to a film at all today - I shopped and came back. Hoping to get to that film tomorrow - Ennis (hah!) is advertising the same, early times again.. Watch this space.

At least tv showed An Irish Goodbye tonight. This is the Irish film shortlisted in the Short Film category! so I was delighted to get a look. It's half an hour long, set in rural northern Ireland, and is the story of two brothers, one with Down Syndrome, whose mother has just died. He lived alone with her on the family farm - his brother lives in London. Question is - what happens now?

Have to say, for all its serious subject matter, it's the most hilarious film about death I've ever seen! The brother with Downs is a laugh a minute, as he insists that his brother help him to fulfil their late mother's bucket list.. with her participating, in the form of ashes in an urn. Seriously, it's a lovely film! I haven't seen its rivals, but good luck to it anyway, in what is being known as the Green Wave..

On Monday, back in London, I'm also planning film. And with the London listings finally out (partially), I plumped for A Guilty Conscience, a Hong Kong film about a lawyer whose negligence gets an innocent woman convicted - so he sets out to put things right. Showing in the Odeon Haymarket - cheaper to book online, so I have.

On Tuesday, I was to go with The Hideout: Horror Sci-Fi Club London to a talk at the Horse Hospital, entitled Raising Hell, about horror and the British film industry in the 1980s. Bought a ticket - and then the organiser said he can't make it. I already have a ticket, of course - so I'll be going anyway. And the annoying thing is, he's deleted the event completely! It might have been nice to meet others who could still make it, you know..! This isn't the first time he's done this, apparently. Well, at least it seems to be close to me.

On Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Medea, with Sophie Okonedo, at Soho Place.

On Thursday, it's back to the Vault Festival - for Happy Factory, who have an airealist show. Not suitable for young children, apparently..

Now, Friday is Paddy's Day. But for once, I'm not doing anything related - I'm back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for a performance of Beowulf, at King's Place. Two Danish storytellers, it seems.

Next Saturday - awesome! Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners have a walk I haven't done, and which is scheduled for a day I can make it. How unusual.. This is Clubland: Secrets of the Gentleman's Clubs. I hear there was supposed to be yet another rail strike that day, but not now..

And what a very good job it's in the afternoon - because that evening is a performance, in conjunction with the CCC, of Medusa, again at King's Place! An unusual take on it, from the evidence of Wednesday's storytelling..

On the 19th, London Walks, Art & Culture Explorers are going on a Quirky London walk. And so am I.

On the 20th, back with UITCS for a play called Women, Beware the Devil, set in the year 1640 - showing in the Almeida.


Back with UITCS for the next two days - on the 22nd, it's for comedian Rosie Holt at the Leicester Square Theatre.

On the 23rd, I'm at Further Than the Furthest Thing, at the Young Vic. Then back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 27th, I've booked with the Happy Positive Group! For their weekly Monday trivia night! They seem to be completely online, and frankly, the chances of me attending this are slim. But we'll see.

On the 28th, I've booked for Phaedra, at the National.

On the 29th, I'm going with UITCS to Sadler's Wells - first time in an age - for Creature, by Akram Khan! I absolutely love his work. Handily enough, I used my latest Theatre Token for this - would have used it for Phaedra, but while neither theatre takes them online (you have to phone if you want to use a token), the National charges extra for phone bookings. So I used it for this instead.

And on the 30th, back with the London European Club, at somewhere called the Ugly Duck, for Synchrony, a female 12-piece string ensemble. Tickets from Eventbrite. As hosted by Eleanor Salter Thorn again! So glad to see her hosting events in more central locations..

No comments:

Post a Comment