Wednesday 15 March 2023

Play: Medea

Tonight, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for Medea, with Sophie Okonedo, at Soho Place. My only Meetup of the week! (until Saturday).

My way there took me past GBK - so I ate there again. I had considered going for "The Duke" - their take on beef Wellington, which I love - but frankly, I do love their chicken too, so I just stuck to that. Their WiFi dropped halfway through my meal, but otherwise I had an excellent experience, as usual - even with the manager taking time out to conduct a job interview, over by the window. I had a moreish burger and delicious, piping hot chips. I tell you though, beware sitting on the sofa in the middle - if anyone sits on the opposite side to you, it bounces like crazy..

Hallelujah that, on the very day when everyone seemed to be on strike, I could walk to the theatre. In particular, the Tube was on strike - and the buses were rammed; a bus queue I passed gave me pause for thought:


There seemed to be a large queue to get into the theatre, too, but it turned out to be just a group of teenagers, standing and chatting.


I'd never been here before, but easily found the group, sitting directly ahead as I entered. We were meeting in the lobby bar, although there is a bar on each level. Speaking of levels, most people in the group got an upgrade - but then, most people booked in the row behind mine! Seems they didn't upgrade the front row - ah well. It just meant an extra flight of stairs - I've had worse climbs.

Nice decor, with a kind of starry effect to the ceiling. I have to compliment them on their reasonable wine prices! They only have one size of wine glass - which I presume is medium - but it's a while since I had wine for under £8 in central London. And yes, I found the cheaper sauvignon blanc very nice. Also, I didn't realise they have a proper restaurant! Mea culpa for not checking, but it's few enough theatres do. Someone from the group had eaten there before we met, and was happy with the food, and the cost. I'll have to ty it, next time.

A brief hello and chat, and we headed upstairs - a couple of us further than others!


The set is, basically, Medea's sitting room, with steps leading down to other living areas that we don't see. Ben Daniels plays all the male roles - he's the first person we see, and is an almost-constant presence throughout; when not on stage, he's usually pacing the outside rim of the stage in slow motion, like a moving figure from a Grecian urn, matching the rather sinister music that maintains the suspense. There's Medea, her nurse/maid, and her two kids with Jason - as with all child actors, they have a number of stand-ins. Nice job, actually - they don't have any lines to learn, just need to follow stage directions, and this pair tonight came on eating Cornettos. Oh, and they have to do a bit of shrieking, offstage, towards the end..

Full marks to the director for planting members of the chorus in the audience - it works a treat, and came as a great surprise. "The women of Corinth", they are, observing and commenting on the action.

We know the story of Medea - her husband, Jason, betrayed her and went off to live with the daughter of the King of Corinth. In fury, Medea murdered their children - this being the best revenge she could exact on Jason. And gee, if you didn't know, you'd have figured it out in this play - they are none too subtle, hinting at it throughout, the aforementioned women of Corinth pleading with her, pointing out how she couldn't possibly do this..

I couldn't resist this play - it's the epitome of calculated rage. Sophie Okonedo gives a tour de force as a wronged woman, rejected by her adopted country, abandoned by her husband, who had professed to love her. Even when she points out to him all the acts she committed against her own people, to help him, he lays all the credit at the feet of Aphrodite, who made Medea love him so that she couldn't keep from helping him. No credit to her at all. If you have a feminist bone in you, you'll be as angry as she is.. It's a deliciously vindictive play, in which she will not be diverted from her purpose - and her purpose is as dark as can be. Yes, she has moments of humanity, in which she is distraught at the thought of what she is going to do - but they never last long. Such a single-minded pursuit of revenge you rarely see, and for anyone who ever wished ill on anyone else, this should prove very satisfying.

Standing ovation well deserved. Runs till the 22nd of next month, if you fancy dipping into the dark side.. and at least the rain wasn't too heavy, on the walk home.

Tomorrow, it's back to the Vault Festival - for Happy Factory, who have an airealist show. Not suitable for young children, apparently..

Now, Friday is Paddy's Day. But for once, I'm not doing anything related - I'm back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for a performance of Beowulf, at King's Place. Two Danish storytellers, it seems.

On Saturday - awesome! Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners have a walk I haven't done, and which is scheduled for a day I can make it. How unusual.. This is Clubland: Secrets of the Gentleman's Clubs. I hear there was supposed to be yet another rail strike that day, but not now.. and the poor chap seems to be having terrible trouble getting people to confirm whether they're coming for lunch after. I know that feeling..

And what a very good job it's in the afternoon - because that evening is a performance, in conjunction with the CCC, of Medusa, again at King's Place! An unusual take on it, from the evidence of last Wednesday's storytelling..

On Sunday, London Walks, Art & Culture Explorers are going on a Quirky London walk. And so am I.

On Monday, back with UITCS for a play called Women, Beware the Devil, set in the year 1640 - showing in the Almeida.

On Tuesday, I booked with The London Palestinian Rights Meetup Group for Taking Sides – A Conversation about Love, War, and Changing the World. Happening at Amnesty International UK. But you know, I thought I might just go to a film instead.. The listings just came out, and top of the list is Rye Lane, a romcom set in South London. The trailer looks hilarious - this looks like much more fun than that talk, and since it was free, I have no problem in cancelling my attendance. Nearest place to me showing the film that day is the Vue Islington - which now has theatre-style pricing, with different seats at different prices. So I booked, to get a decent seat at the cheapest price possible..

Back with UITCS for the next two days - next Wednesday, it's for comedian Rosie Holt at the Leicester Square Theatre.

On the 23rd, I'm at Further Than the Furthest Thing, at the Young Vic. Then back to Ireland for the weekend again. Might get to see Scream VI at last..?

On the 27th, I booked with the Happy Positive Group! For their weekly Monday trivia night! They seem to be completely online. But wow, looking at it lately, they seemed to have switched that week to the next day! Although, having cancelled my attendance, I then noticed that all Meetups were displaying in the wrong time zone, so were shown as starting five hours later than they actually were.. I complained, and they did fix it. Well, I probably wouldn't have gone anyway. The best Meetup left for that day is with the Shanty Singers Colliers Wood. This is another of those things I once booked and ended up cancelling, so I'll hold off on booking that till nearer the time. As is becoming usual.

On the 28th, I've booked for Phaedra, at the National.

On the 29th, I'm going with UITCS to Sadler's Wells - first time in an age - for Creature, by Akram Khan! I absolutely love his work. Handily enough, I used my latest Theatre Token for this - would have used it for Phaedra, but while neither theatre takes them online (you have to phone if you want to use a token), the National charges extra for phone bookings. So I used it for this instead.

On the 30th, back with the London European Club, at somewhere called the Ugly Duck, for Synchrony, a female 12-piece string ensemble. Tickets from Eventbrite. As hosted by Eleanor Salter Thorn again! So glad to see her hosting events in more central locations..

I was keeping the 31st free because Ivan is feeling thirsty again. :-) And for once, he seems to be sticking to the date, having booked us a table at The Lucas Arms (which, as he pointed out, has a smoker's area). We're hoping to have Martin - my other friendly ex-boss - join us, but he has more family commitments, which he's trying to juggle - we've told him to join us whenever. And this looks like turning into the first zapoi in a while - Ivan is talking about booking a studio, where we can drink overnight. Oy ve, watch this space.. So, not pushed about doing anything extra on the 1st.

And on the 2nd, I'm back with the CCC, for Orpheus Dismembered, at the British Museum, courtesy of Ben Haggarty.

No comments:

Post a Comment