Tuesday 28 February 2023

Dinner: Greenwich Yacht Club

This evening, my one non-Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) day this week - back with Over 40 Living the Life, for a dinner at Greenwich Yacht Club. Ooh la la.. The organiser provided quite complicated meeting instructions..

It had to be Tube - and the Jubilee Line was awful, subject to delays and crammed. Google Maps suggested I hop onto a bus, the #132, from North Greenwich - and wouldn't you know it, all I did was follow the signs for buses and there was a #132 right in front of me, taking people on! It was even more crammed than the Tube - but at least I was only going one stop!

When I alighted - with relief - I was fortunate enough to come across a couple who saw me squinting at my phone, and asked whether I was looking for somewhere. Turned out they were going there too! They promised faithfully not to kidnap me - and true to their word, they led me straight there. Where we parted company, and I joined the group.

The clubhouse is out on the water - as our organiser was later to tell us, it was built with the proceeds of the deal done to build the O2 and North Greenwich Station, for the millennium! The Yacht Club owns that land, you see.. Well, the views are great:



The special was sea bass - there was also "fish and chips", which turned out to be battered cod, and which I had. And which was excellent! Which I followed by some excellent lemon sponge cake, with a choice of ice cream and/or custard. The main course was £10.50, I think - the dessert £3. The menu is short - there were also burgers, as I recall, and a vegetarian option, and for dessert, there was also apple pie. Star of the night, however, had to be the wine.. when is the last time I had a large glass of wine for £4.50?! Not in London, for sure - at just over 1/3 of the price I paid for it last night! Seriously, this is a find.. we might all turn out to be sailors yet! ;-) Company was also excellent - and I did my best to drink the wine fridge dry. Excellent choice I made, tonight..

Tomorrow, back with UITCS at the Arcola for Afghanistan is Not Funny, the true story of a British comedian and photographer in war-torn Afghanistan.

On Thursday, with them again at the Peacock (think I can walk to that!) for Bat Out of Hell, a musical based on the music of Meat Loaf. Awesome - just a pity it isn't one of the singalong nights..

On Friday, ending a run of UITCS with Lucrezia Borgia, by the English Touring Opera Company, at the Hackney Empire.

On Saturday, back cat-herding - Ivan suggested that whole day for, well, a lot of drinking. And food - he wanted to go back to O' Neill's. Well, he got in touch. To say that, unfortunately, he can't now make it. My other coworker from that company still can, though - as they've both said, it's been so long since they actually met each other! They can never seem to coordinate.. Still have to hear from my other ex-coworker with whom I'm in contact, as to whether he can make it himself.

On Sunday, back with Discover London at last - she does excellent walks, but sometimes they clash, and sometimes they sell out before I get to them! This one is Discover Historic Chelsea: From Quaint to Quant - 1660s to 1960s.

On Monday, back with - you guessed it - UITCS, for Romeo and Julie, at the Dorfman.

Next Tuesday - not so much appeals on MeetupFree Stuff and Free Events does have Free Community Singing with Ros Hone and the Global Fusion Sound Singers, which you can attend on Zoom, or in person at Fossdene School Community Hall. Which sounds just fine - except that this is the sort of thing I keep cancelling! So I'm not confirming until nearer the time.

On the 8th - back with the Crick Crack Club, woohoo! for Goddesses in the Garden, at the Chelsea Physic Garden. Features my favourite, Clare Murphy, along with Sarah Liisa WilkinsonLaura Sampson, and Xanthe Gresham.

On the 9th, my final booking - for the week - with UITCS, for Brilliant Jerks at Southwark Playhouse. And wouldn't you know it, I still had credit on my Pay as you Go subscription, so got it for free! And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

No comments:

Post a Comment