Thursday 2 February 2023

Play: My Son's a Queer (but what can I do?)

Tonight, I was on my own for My Son's a Queer (but what can you do?), a play at the Ambassadors Theatre. Walking distance again, lovely! Now, Byron Burger is close to the theatre - but I had a look at the website, and it looked as though they might be a bit busy. So I said I'd be safer going to GBK, where I never have trouble getting a seat. And sure enough, I didn't. We'll forgive tonight's server for not knowing me - he seemed new. I was well - and quickly - fed, and off I went. Mind you, Byron Burger didn't seem full as I passed. Ah well, next time perhaps?

I was in the Circle - and, delightfully, the entrance is up just a few steps from the lobby! The bar, mind you, is up another couple of flights - I decided I was early enough to head up, and I got myself a sauvignon blanc and a bag of chocolate buttons - an inspired choice, I hadn't had them in ages. And then I took my seat - happily, just this morning, I'd been upgraded (they closed the rear Circle), and so my seat was right beside the entrance. I positioned my glass on the step beside me, tucked against the seat - wouldn't you know it, the guy getting into his seat just behind sent it flying! but saw at the same moment I did, and immediately got me another. Fair play. (So I had a glass and a bit..)



The show is only an hour long - but what an entertaining hour. So, it's the protagonist's story of being a little boy, mad into theatre and performing, and with a penchant for wearing flamboyant dresses. School isn't that supportive - happily, his family is, and sends him to Stagecoach. And the rest is history - told through sweet, hilarious, and well-edited home movies, with him providing some narration, and digging out props. Wait for the big parade of characters at the end - this guy was born to take the limelight, and he revels in it now - he's also a fabulous singer. It's an entertaining hour, as I say - also surprisingly moving. Standing ovation well deserved. Runs until the 18th of next month, except Sundays - twice a day on Thursdays and Saturdays. Well worth a look!

Tomorrow, my first meeting of the year with London Classical Music and Theatre Group! We're off to Wigmore Hall, to listen to the Hagen Quartet play Mozart. They're Austrian, so that's appropriate.. I just need to remember not to drink the ultra-expensive sauvignon blanc! Meeting my sometime dinner companion beforehand, down the road at Olivelli.

On Saturday, well, Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners are back to Greenwich again. Now, I have been there with him before.. not sure how "new" this one will be, but hey, it was a great day last time! And that evening, meeting Ivan - and another ex-boss with whom I'm still friendly, Martin, for dinner: and wouldn't you know it, I actually managed to book O' Neill's. Wonders shall never cease.. of course, Christmas is over now, so things might calm down. Also, although the Six Nations is on that day, the matches are in the afternoon..

On Sunday, nothing on Meetup appealed massively - I thought I might go for a walk along the Ken's Events route, if I feel like it! (on my own). Or Over 40 Living the Life has advertised a walk along the New River.. I'd have to see, as I have to pay to sign up (refunds given to those who then come). And I might well change my mind.. which I finally did, when Free Stuff and Free Events advertised a blues concert at the Earl of Chatham, Woolwich. It's a way out, is all - but then, it's free, if I wanted to cancel. And.. now I have, because London Herstory Guided Walks! has finally advertised a walk I can go on. I was recommended this group by someone a while ago - they run guided walks with a female theme. Sunday's is Deeds Not Words! Suffragettes, Spies, & Warrior Queens. Delighted to be able to go on one of theirs, at last - they're usually on during working hours. Only thing is, they don't specify how to pay - cash on the day, I'm guessing, as they don't take payment on booking. Mercifully, it's in the afternoon - I might need the rest, after Saturday!

On Monday, my first actual event with the Over 40s. We're off to How Not to Drown at the Theatre Royal, Stratford East - the first event of theirs for which I couldn't get a cheaper ticket! So I decided, if I couldn't beat them, I might as well join them. True story of an unaccompanied, 11-year-old asylum seeker.

On Tuesday, excited to be headed to see Derren Brown in Showman, at the Apollo Shaftesbury Avenue. Cheapest tickets with Official London Theatre again.

On Wednesday, off to The Lehman Trilogy, at the Gillian Lynne Theatre. Based on the true story of the bank that collapsed. Got the last £39.50 ticket!

Next Thursday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats for Winner's Curse, at the Park Theatre - an interactive show about a peace negotiation. Turns out North London Friends are headed to it the same night - what, are they now copying this group, as another group did some time ago? (since closed down). And then I'm back to Ireland again.

And on the 13th, I'm headed to Allegiance, starring George Takei in a musical based on the true story of his time in an American internment camp during the Second World War. Showing at the Charing Cross Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment