Monday 13 February 2023

Musical: Allegiance

Tonight, I headed to Allegiance, starring George Takei in a musical inspired by the true story of his time in an American internment camp during the Second World War. Showing at the Charing Cross Theatre. I figured it's a good area for eateries, so took my chances on not booking anywhere.

Wandered down Villiers Street, and came across L' Ulivo. Wow, it's years since I ate there.. had no trouble getting a table, she put me in a corner. Possibly not the best idea.. Anyway, I see I had exactly what I had that last time. What can I say, my tastes don't change much! Mind you, it took me long enough to put my order in - seems only one person takes orders, and she'd disappeared down the back. I tackled the lady clearing the table beside me, and told her I'd like to order, please - and shortly, the lady with the notepad appeared, complete with apology and accompanying apologetic expression.

Well, the food wasn't too long in coming, after that - the garlic bread was very moreish, if charred in the middle, and whoof! the chicken in white wine and mushroom sauce was lovely, but extremely filling. My accompanying roast potatoes arrived in a little bucket, ah. Unfortunately, I had to wolf it down a bit - although I was just up from the theatre, I also had to pay. Asked that same lady I'd bothered before whether I could have the bill now please, although I hadn't finished eating - in the end, two of them brought it. And I made the theatre within five minutes of start time, just as they were going in. Nice! I was right up the back - the lady beside me sat on her coat, to see over the heads in front of her..


Sorry to say, although I found this interesting, I also found it stiff, in parts. The songs are lovely, and beautifully sung - but I found it hard to engage with the story sometimes. The parts with Japanese music are gorgeous, and I wish there had been some more - but it is what it is. Some of his family were actually killed in Hiroshima, and the scene depicting the news breaking of the bombing there is haunting. It's also lovely that he takes a part himself. I guess it's just an older style musical than I'm used to. Runs till the 8th of April.

Tomorrow, back to the cinema - I was thinking Tár, finally, in which Cate Blanchett is Oscar-nominated for her part as a driven, genius classical conductor. Looks nice and tense - no longer showing in Ireland, and is mostly showing in the daytime in London! Finsbury Park Picturehouse is the closest venue to me that's showing it in the evening. But since I couldn't catch The Whale this past weekend, I'm seeing that tomorrow instead. Stars Brendan Fraser in an Oscar-nominated performance as a morbidly obese English teacher, looking to reconnect with his estranged daughter. Closest to me, showing in the evening, is in the Odeon Luxe & Dine Islington! Reclining seats, and service to your seat, with nobody under 13 allowed - sounds lovely.. I've booked, which is supposed always to be cheaper online than buying the ticket in person.

On Wednesday, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at the Orange Tree - first time in an age - for Duet for One, starring Tara Fitzgerald.

And on Thursday, my first event with The Hideout: Horror Sci-Fi Club London, who are at The Drayton Arms for a play, The Shroud of Charon - part of the pub's Lovecraft Festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment