Thursday 23 February 2023

Plays: Feel More X Lately

Tonight, back with TAC for Feel More X Lately, showing at the Lion and Unicorn. This is actually a collection of four short plays.

I'd have taken a bus - but between buses that didn't know when they were due, and buses that were absolutely crammed at this time, I decided on the Northern Line. Had to wait - the branch I needed seemed to be the less popular. But I shortly got a seat, which was good. Then a short walk to the pub.

They do food here - I hadn't eaten here on any of my previous visits, but decided to do so this evening. It's kind of slightly posh fare.. I ended up with a pork escalope, which was nice, but came with some peculiar sides. What the hey, I was fed! Glad I brought Strepsils, though - I was struck by an unusual coughing fit as I waited for my food! The friendly bloke checking names - upon hearing mine (Lynch) - asked whether I was related. Eh, to whom? David Lynch! Eh, no - well, but you never know..

Inside, I seemed to be in the direct blast of a jet of cold air. I wasn't the only uncomfortable one - someone remarked, at the interval, that it was freezing. Indeed, someone at the end asked for donations, considering the cost of heating - you'd be forgiven for supposing that that's why they kept us in the cold..


The minute I saw the staging, I knew I'd seen the first before. Sure enough, the first half gave us Lately, the story of two ill-starred teens, who fall in love in school, but life conspires against them. Both from dysfunctional families, they find a home with each other - but it can't last, and the ending is beautifully tragic. I did also see this with TAC, in the same venue, in fact. (Last time I was here!) Fancy that. Just as moving the second time around, I have to say..

The interval was long enough for us to run to the loo (where the bins were overflowing), get another drink from the friendly bar staff, and for me to stand around awkwardly with everyone looking at me suspiciously because.. I was on my own? Hey, it was cramped, there was no good place for me to stand! Well anyway, up I went for the second half, huddled in my coat again.

I don't know what the three short plays in the second half were called, but all were examples of excellent writing, well-delivered. None had the emotional punch of Lately, but all in all this was a terrific evening of theatre. One more showing on Saturday. Now, if only they'd stop the accompanying blast of cold air..

Would you believe it, not one, but two buses I could have taken sailed past me as I made my way home! I should emphasise, I was actually at the bus stop.. in each case, I had literally looked away for a second, only for my bus to materialise from nowhere and for me to gaze at it as it retreated into the distance. Third time lucky.. they do come from around the corner there, so there isn't much warning!

Tomorrow, I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Where the choice of films is very limited. Mostly kids' films, in fact. Best for me seems to be What's Love Got to Do with It?, a romcom in which Emma Thompson plays the mother of a young lady whose good friend (of Pakistani heritage, as it happens) decides enough is enough, and he's going to let his parents arrange his marriage. She's a budding filmmaker, and decides this would provide excellent footage for a new documentary. No prizes for guessing how it turns out, I suspect - but it seems harmless enough.

There follows a mostly Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) week. On Monday, back with them for Lemons, Lemons, Lemons, at the Harold Pinter Theatre. This is a rom-com about a couple living in a dystopian state, which limits the number of characters they can speak. Lots of body language then, I guess! Frankly, I was delighted to see that, by the time I booked, the Balcony was sold out - the legroom there is woeful, and good luck to those who've booked up there. The cheapest price bracket left when I booked included some in the Dress Circle - and thanks to Seatplan, I seem to have identified a decent seat among them. Watch this space.. cheapest tickets from the official site, but I booked with From the Box Office, which had tickets at the same price, but without the booking fee.

On Tuesday, my one non-UITCS day next week - back with Over 40 Living the Life, for a dinner at Greenwich Yacht Club. Ooh la la..

Next Wednesday, back with UITCS at the Arcola for Afghanistan is Not Funny, the true story of a British comedian and photographer in war-torn Afghanistan.

On the 2nd, with them again at the Peacock (think I can walk to that!) for Bat Out of Hell, a musical based on the music of Meat Loaf. Awesome - just a pity it isn't one of the singalong nights..

On the 3rd, ending a run of UITCS with Lucrezia Borgia, by the English Touring Opera Company, at the Hackney Empire.

On the 4th, back cat-herding - Ivan suggested that whole day for, well, a lot of drinking. And food - he wanted to go back to O' Neill's. Well, he must have been reading the blog - because the other day, he got in touch. To say that, unfortunately, he can't now make it. My other coworker from that company still can, though - as they've both said, it's been so long since they actually met each other! They can never seem to coordinate..

On the 5th, back with Discover London at last - she does excellent walks, but sometimes they clash, and sometimes they sell out before I get to them! This one is Discover Historic Chelsea: From Quaint to Quant - 1660s to 1960s.

On the 6th, back with - you guessed it - UITCS, for Romeo and Julie, at the Dorfman.

On the 7th - not so much appeals on MeetupFree Stuff and Free Events does have Free Community Singing with Ros Hone and the Global Fusion Sound Singers, which you can attend on Zoom, or in person at Fossdene School Community Hall. Which sounds just fine - except that this is the sort of thing I keep cancelling! So I'm not confirming until nearer the time.

On the 8th - back with the Crick Crack Club, woohoo! for Goddesses in the Garden, at the Chelsea Physic Garden. Features my favourite, Clare Murphy, along with Sarah Liisa WilkinsonLaura Sampson, and Xanthe Gresham.

On the 9th, my final booking - for now - with UITCS, for Brilliant Jerks at Southwark Playhouse. And wouldn't you know it, I still had credit on my Pay as you Go subscription, so got it for free! And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

No comments:

Post a Comment