Thursday 16 February 2023

Plays: Duet for One & The Shroud of Charon

Last night, back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) at the Orange Tree - first time in an age - for Duet for One, starring Tara Fitzgerald. There was talk of meeting for food beforehand - but it was going to take me almost an hour to get there, and with a pointless, late work meeting, I was unlikely to make it in time for dinner. We would see.

As it happened, nobody had anything to say in that meeting! It was hardly started when it finished - whereupon I legged it, leaving my computer on, with something playing to stop it sleeping, in case anybody checked. And off I went. This far out, it had to be Tube - I went with the Victoria Line first, where I got on at the end and got a seat, and then the District Line, where I got a seat after one stop. En route, I was in contact with the lady that suggested dinner (the Tube goes overground for part of the way, so I got signal) - she thought Diba, a Persian restaurant, would be good, so I headed there, arriving a bit before she did.


I got a table with no trouble, just inside the window, and when she arrived she joined me. Service was friendly. We both had white wine (pinot grigio), but I had trouble choosing from a lot of similar-sounding dishes! Finally picked one - the salad wasn't to my liking, but the meat and rice were good. Might have gone for a dessert, but we were tight for time - in fact, we just made it back to the theatre in time for a quick hello to the group before we had to go in.


My first time upstairs, here! and I can recommend it. In fact, if you end up doing the same, do what I did and take a seat in one of the corners - there are only three seats in each of these, so you'll probably not have to stand to let anyone in. There's plenty of space - and the view is excellent!

So, Tara Fitzgerald plays a world-class concert violinist, who has just developed MS. A terrible, progressive neurological illness, it strikes quite randomly, rendering her unable to use various muscles, for a greater or lesser extent of time. And as time wears on, the prognosis is worse and worse. Worst for her, of course, is that she can no longer depend on her ability to play the violin, so has to give up her career. Her husband, a successful composer, urges her to seek psychiatric help - they can afford a private psychiatrist, and the sessions form the basis of this play.

The stage revolves slowly during each scene - an excellent idea, as it's almost the only movement in a play that mostly consists of two women, sat in chairs across from each other, talking to each other. So, it gives us something to look at, as well as allowing everyone to get a view, during each session, of each woman's face. I must also compliment Tara Fitzgerald's falling ability - a few times, she demonstrates the effects of her MS by falling to the ground as, apparently, her knee gives way. Excellently performed. Oh, and I liked her outfits - she changes for each session, unlike the psychiatrist. I guess that's meant to convey that the psychiatrist is too busy to be worried about such things - or that she's constant and unwavering, unlike her volatile patient, whose clothes can give an indication of her mood..

Hmm. You can tell, if I'm focusing on the outfits, that there's probably something lacking in the play. Indeed - I think we all had problems with the psychiatrist, who, for one thing, seemed to lead her patient all the time: for example, chucking accusations at her along the lines of that she secretly wanted children. Indeed, at one point, where her patient is being particularly frustrating, she yells at her. Protractedly. Now, I used to teach, and I can tell you, you'd be fired for that - I presume psychiatrists would be, too. But anyway.

At the interval, we all wondered how this was going to pan out - to be fair, it was ok. I won't give the ending away, but it wasn't terrible. Still, it didn't do much to make me a fan of psychiatry - or, in particular, of antidepressants, although I do know people who have benefitted from both. I guess the moral of the story is, don't live in denial - see your psychiatrist..

Anyway, it is a decent play - runs till the 18th of next month, if you're interested. And my, it was lovely to be with a friendly group again - when Meetup runs right, it's a wonderful thing! Now, it ran too late last night to blog - and indeed I didn't have time today.. I've booked lots more, finally. Details further down.

Tonight, my first event with The Hideout: Horror Sci-Fi Club London, who were at The Drayton Arms for a play, The Shroud of Charon - part of the pub's Lovecraft Festival! So, similar travel route to last night - just didn't take as long. Tube again - this time, Piccadilly Line straight to Gloucester Road. Walked the rest of the way - and I swear, every time I wanted to cross a road, there was a car on it, ready to run me over. What, were they stalking me?

At the pub, there was some fun - there didn't seem to be a booking under the name as quoted on the event page. They mused whether it could be under this, similar, name, with a booking for the same time - I ordered a glass of wine, and went over to enquire of the blokes sitting there whether they were, indeed, the ones I was looking for. Lo, they were! and a convivial hour or so of chatting followed. Indeed, someone showed up that I knew from The Horror Book Club.. well, it's a small city. :-)

When it came time, we went up - I was in the front row, and armed with a (medicinal) glass of wine and some Strepsils - I have a niggling cough, and the front row in a small theatre space is not the place to display it. The play only lasted an hour or so - three characters: the main character, Arthur, a student of dark matters: his friend, Henry, who had procured for him a mysterious ancient Egyptian box: and a mysterious young woman, who made her appearance later on.


Now, this seems to be an original play, based on Lovecraftian ideas - fair play to them, they've done the theme justice, and the ending - where our intrepid student unfortunately finds what he's after - was a decently horrific experience, as he began to realise that maybe he shouldn't have followed this line of discovery.. Very nicely done, lovely acting, and an excellent premise. Unfortunately, if you were planning on seeing it, it finished tonight. But it's great to see this kind of inventiveness!


Right, now. Tomorrow, I planned on seeing a film - hence the delay, I was waiting for those ever-delayed listings. Delighted to report that tomorrow's film is turning out (finally!) to be 
Tár,  in which Cate Blanchett is Oscar-nominated for her part as a driven, genius classical conductor. Looks nice and tense - no longer showing in Ireland, and is mostly showing in the daytime in London! Finsbury Park Picturehouse is the closest venue to me that's showing it in the evening. It'll be a relief to tick it off at last.

The weekend is all about London Herstory Guided Walks, the walks from a female perspective, as guided by Mandy Morrow. On Saturday, it's Women of Mayfair from Monarchs to Mistresses & More.

On Sunday, a new walk for her - Bloody Brilliant Bermondsey Women. Oh, and if you sign up to her newsletter, you get the next walk half price! I saw that offer in time for this walk.

On Monday, thinking film again - and what's coming up looks really interesting. Continuing on a women's theme, Women Talking is, apparently, based on real-life events in a Mennonite community, where women were being drugged, and sexually assaulted as they slept. Some ended up injured, some pregnant, some with STDs. The film is based on a book, imagining the women's response - in a community that doesn't even teach its women to read and write, the women mobilise to form a response to a group of uncaring elders, whose dictat is that they must forgive their attackers, or forfeit their place in heaven. Stars Rooney Mara, Claire Foy, Jessie Buckley, Ben Whishaw, and Frances McDormand - against type, as has been mentioned - as an older woman who does not support the younger women's rebellion against staying quiet. Closest showing to me is in the Everyman King's Cross.

On Tuesday, back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group, for an English Concert of Bach, at Wigmore Hall. Lovely, it's ages since I heard Bach..

On Wednesday, it's film again - this one is a BFI presentation of Joyland, an Indian film about a young man who joins a burlesque show, and becomes infatuated with the trans lady who runs it. I'm normally suspicious about Indian film, having had some bad experiences - but this trailer looks excellent, so I'll risk it. Showing in the Vue Islington - which I've booked, for once, as they now have theatre-style seat pricing, different seats in different locations at different prices!

Next Thursday, back with TAC for Feel More X Lately, showing at the Lion and Unicorn. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.

There follows a mostly UITCS week. On the 27th, back with them for Lemons, Lemons, Lemons, at the Harold Pinter Theatre. This is a rom-com about a couple living in a dystopian state, which limits the number of characters they can speak. Lots of body language then, I guess! Frankly, I was delighted to see that, by the time I booked, the Balcony was sold out - the legroom there is woeful, and good luck to those who've booked up there. The cheapest price bracket left when I booked included some in the Dress Circle - and thanks to Seatplan, I seem to have identified a decent seat among them. Watch this space.. cheapest tickets from the official site, but I booked with From the Box Office, which had tickets at the same price, but without the booking fee.

On the 28th, my one non-UITCS day that week - back with Over 40 Living the Life, for a dinner at Greenwich Yacht Club. Ooh la la..

On the 1st, back with UITCS at the Arcola for Afghanistan is Not Funny, the true story of a British comedian and photographer in war-torn Afghanistan.

On the 2nd, with them again at the Peacock (think I can walk to that!) for Bat Out of Hell, a musical based on the music of Meat Loaf. Awesome - just a pity it isn't one of the singalong nights..

On the 3rd, ending a run of UITCS with Lucrezia Borgia, by the English Touring Opera Company, at the Hackney Empire.

On the 4th, back cat-herding - Ivan has suggested that whole day (and I must confirm with him, as with everyone) for, well, a lot of drinking. And food - he wants to go back to O' Neill's. The trick, as usual, is going to be pinning everyone down in time to book - they don't take bookings within two days of the required date.

On the 5th, back with Discover London at last - she does excellent walks, but sometimes they clash, and sometimes they sell out before I get to them! This one is Discover Historic Chelsea: From Quaint to Quant - 1660s to 1960s.

On the 6th, back with - you guessed it - UITCS, for Romeo and Julie, at the Dorfman.

On the 7th - not so much appeals on Meetup. Free Stuff and Free Events does have Free Community Singing with Ros Hone and the Global Fusion Sound Singers, which you can attend on Zoom, or in person at Fossdene School Community Hall. Which sounds just fine - except that this is the sort of thing I keep cancelling! So I'm not confirming until nearer the time.

On the 8th - back with the Crick Crack Club, woohoo! for Goddesses in the Garden, at the Chelsea Physic Garden. Features my favourite, Clare Murphy, along with Sarah Liisa Wilkinson, Laura Sampson, and Xanthe Gresham.

On the 9th, my final booking - for now - with UITCS, for Brilliant Jerks at Southwark Playhouse. And wouldn't you know it, I still had credit on my Pay as you Go subscription, so got it for free! And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

No comments:

Post a Comment