Sunday 26 February 2023

Film: The Bookshop

So, before I flew back today, I had the chance to watch a matinée on tv - The Bookshop is a few years old, but I don't think I'd heard of it. Set in a 50s English village, it tells the story of a young woman who decides - against massive local opposition - to open a bookshop in an old building in town. Patricia Clarkson plays the local upper-class lady, firmly opposed, and Bill Nighy an elderly gent who has sympathy for the fledgling business!

It's not the most exciting plot. But what it is, is a really sweet offering, championing the old style of bookshop, run by someone with a real interest, and full of interesting tomes. The nasty characters are truly nasty, so you can get your teeth into them, and the bookshop owner comes across as sincere. Yep, quite enjoyed it - and it's fine fare for an afternoon's viewing.

The coming week is mostly Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS). Tomorrow, back with them for Lemons, Lemons, Lemons, at the Harold Pinter Theatre. This is a rom-com about a couple living in a dystopian state, which limits the number of characters they can speak. Lots of body language then, I guess! Frankly, I was delighted to see that, by the time I booked, the Balcony was sold out - the legroom there is woeful, and good luck to those who've booked up there. The cheapest price bracket left when I booked included some in the Dress Circle - and thanks to Seatplan, I seem to have identified a decent seat among them. Watch this space.. cheapest tickets from the official site, but I booked with From the Box Office, which had tickets at the same price, but without the booking fee.

On Tuesday, my one non-UITCS day this week - back with Over 40 Living the Life, for a dinner at Greenwich Yacht Club. Ooh la la..

On Wednesday, back with UITCS at the Arcola for Afghanistan is Not Funny, the true story of a British comedian and photographer in war-torn Afghanistan.

On Thursday, with them again at the Peacock (think I can walk to that!) for Bat Out of Hell, a musical based on the music of Meat Loaf. Awesome - just a pity it isn't one of the singalong nights..

On Friday, ending a run of UITCS with Lucrezia Borgia, by the English Touring Opera Company, at the Hackney Empire.

On Saturday, back cat-herding - Ivan suggested that whole day for, well, a lot of drinking. And food - he wanted to go back to O' Neill's. Well, he got in touch. To say that, unfortunately, he can't now make it. My other coworker from that company still can, though - as they've both said, it's been so long since they actually met each other! They can never seem to coordinate.. Have to hear tomorrow from my other ex-coworker with whom I'm in contact, as to whether he can make it himself.

Next Sunday, back with Discover London at last - she does excellent walks, but sometimes they clash, and sometimes they sell out before I get to them! This one is Discover Historic Chelsea: From Quaint to Quant - 1660s to 1960s.

On the 6th, back with - you guessed it - UITCS, for Romeo and Julie, at the Dorfman.

On the 7th - not so much appeals on MeetupFree Stuff and Free Events does have Free Community Singing with Ros Hone and the Global Fusion Sound Singers, which you can attend on Zoom, or in person at Fossdene School Community Hall. Which sounds just fine - except that this is the sort of thing I keep cancelling! So I'm not confirming until nearer the time.

On the 8th - back with the Crick Crack Club, woohoo! for Goddesses in the Garden, at the Chelsea Physic Garden. Features my favourite, Clare Murphy, along with Sarah Liisa WilkinsonLaura Sampson, and Xanthe Gresham.

On the 9th, my final booking - for now - with UITCS, for Brilliant Jerks at Southwark Playhouse. And wouldn't you know it, I still had credit on my Pay as you Go subscription, so got it for free! And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

No comments:

Post a Comment