Sunday 27 March 2022

Walk: Elegant London & Film: The Batman

Well, the background screening for my new job is finally complete - and the one thing they couldn't verify was my last job! (Oh, for the love of..) Their story is that they tried several times and got no response - yet nobody that would have been sensible to contact had any word from them! So, with no definite word on that yet, I couldn't start on Friday, and booked with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners, who were off to see Elegant London!

Stayed up far too late the night before, blogging - sometimes it does take that long. So it was rather painful, waking next morning.. I'd have had to rush a bit much to take the bus, so was on the Tube again. Which took half the time, but had the disadvantage that I had no idea which exit to take, and came out at completely the opposite end of the station. Never mind, I knew where I was supposed to be - we've met there before - and just had to keep walking around the station until the view looked right. And we certainly had the weather for a walk, with glorious sunshine! Blast, I wish I could find my sunglasses. Anyway, the last time, we met across the road - this time, they were at the corner with Terminus Place. Took me a minute to find them!

The very start of the walk was rather similar to that last time, but we were soon into pastures new:

Our walk took us around lots of embassies - and it was depressing how few flags I could recognise! I'm really out of practice. We didn't swing by the Irish embassy. We did notice a police presence outside the entrance to the Turkish embassy! They seemed friendly, but we did wonder what they were doing there..


Simón Bolívar was a busy chap. He led ColombiaVenezuelaEcuadorPanamaPeru, and Bolivia to independence. Crikey, must have been public enemy #1 in the upper echelons of the Spanish government! And these days, I'm sure he'd be gratified to know that his statue provides a handy resting place for workers and others. The countries' coats of arms decorate the base - but it was awkward to take a photo, with all those folks sat there. Still, we (well, Laurence) provided quite a floorshow for the ladies..


The first Marquess of Westminster, Robert Grosvenor. Had a great interest in building.. did a lot around here. Which is why, in this humungous statue, he's reading plans. The plaque on the side tells the interesting story of how the family came over with the Normans - as did the breed of dog depicted with him. That breed has since died out. The Grosvenors, on the other hand, have thrived, with an estimated wealth today of £10 billion or so. Ah, it is handy to hold so many freeholds in London..


And so to lunch, in the Tattersalls Tavern (everyone attended, which was the first time I remember that happening, and was lovely to see!) - we were put down the back - and lo, if it wasn't the same menu as in the Marlborough Head! Both Greene King pubs, you see. Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it - and I ordered the same as before, chicken with BBQ sauce and onion rings, and a nice glass of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc.

We queued up to order, and a friendly chap called Matt, with an American(?) accent blazed efficiently through the orders. They arrived in the order of ordering them - unfortunately, the kitchen wasn't as quick in cooking them as he had been in noting them, and by the time the last of us were served, some of us had finished. Hey ho, Matt was on hand, delivering orders, making sure we were all happy, and apologising for the delay. Really makes a difference when the staff seem to care, you know? Very nice place to come for lunch. Even if they did give me a paltry three onion rings..

I'd booked fast track in the airport, just in case, but as we didn't head out together after lunch, and from where we finished, I needed to get the Tube home - which was faster - I had plenty of time, really. Anyway, then back to Ireland for the weekend again - too tired to blog that night - and yesterday, I booked to go see The Batman at the Omniplex. It's free to book, and handier when you get there. And gee, I'd heard great things about this! A very dark take on the story - has Andy Serkis as Alfred, and Peter Sarsgaard as the DA.

Traffic was a nightmare - seems there was an accident on the road I normally take, so it's a very good thing that I went another way! It was also fun locating the two cheapest petrol stations, as I needed to fill up.. happily, one was on my way out as well, so I later stopped there, and got petrol not very much more expensive than the last time I'd bought it! These days, that's quite an achievement.

Meantime, I made it just nicely in time for my film. And wow, this merits a cinema viewing. Beautifully made, beautifully shot - very, very dark. I do wonder whether that was how it was meant to be, when Batman was originally conceived. The Riddler - a mysterious figure for most of the film - is fantastic when unmasked at the end, so normal it's surreal! And in one of the last scenes, he gets to chat with the Joker, both inmates in the asylum.. now, there's a disturbing combination, setting us up nicely for a sequel. As to the plot - it's deliciously OTT, but simultaneously believable. Plenty of high tech to keep us happy, too. And OMG, he's so well disguised, I never realised The Penguin was Colin Farrell!

Batman himself is Robert Pattinson, already well-known from Twilight. He does marvellously in the outfit - well hey, I love a man in uniform! He's kind of like a moving statue, implacable, large.. now, I'm terribly sorry, but out of the uniform he just annoys me. That brooding, Byronic (or Emo) look just doesn't do it for me. You'd be lucky to get him to crack a smile. Nah, keep the cape on, much better. Catwoman can have him..

Tomorrow, going to see Daddy at the Almeida. Having never seen a bad production here, I have high hopes.

On Tuesday, finally going to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella! I hear good things.. it's playing at the Gillian Lynne Theatre, which is new to me - Seatplan was invaluable in choosing the best seating option. What's On Stage provided the cheapest price for that seat, though!

On Wednesday, back with Civilised London (CL) - for a play this time. This is The Fever Syndrome, at Hampstead Theatre.

On Thursday, back with TAC for One Night With Robbie Williams. This is at The Courtyard.

On Friday, my job still being up in the air, I've provisionally - again - booked with Laurence and the 45+s for a daytime walk. This is Tinker, Tailor, Soldier & a Hatful of Spies - and comes highly recommended from previous attendees! In fact, I got the last spot (at the time, anyway). Do hope I can make it.

That evening, back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for - The Grand Annual Lying Contest! at Rich Mix.

On Saturday, I had booked with Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts for a Regent's Canal Walk. But yay, Laurence and the 45+s then advertised another walk for that day, which is pretty much guaranteed to be superior. So I've booked it. This is Scandals, Scriptwriters & Sumptuous Architecture - and of course, it being a London weekend, I can go!

That evening, an ex-colleague of mine is having a leaving do - he's emigrating. Happening at The Woodman, in Highgate. I said I'd put in an appearance.

Next Sunday, the CCC again! Emily Hennessey and Sheema Mukherjee are at the British Museum, with Holy Cow! Tales from the River of Life. Unfortunately, the London Landmarks Half Marathon is also that day, so I'll probably be on the Tube, at least getting to the museum. 

On the 4th, I'm back at the Park Theatre for the first time in nearly three years! This is for Clybourne Park, a comedy about a white family moving into a predominantly black neighbourhood.

On the 5th, I'm headed to But I'm a Cheerleader, a musical comedy at the Turbine Theatre.

On the 6th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at Southwark Playhouse, and another free ticket for me! This time, it's for Anyone Can Whistle, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.

On the 7th, Tommy Tiernan is playing at the Hammersmith Apollo! Now, I failed to get a ticket for this the first time around. Then it was rescheduled because of Covid.. and I got a ticket for the rescheduled event! Then that was rescheduled.. third time lucky?! Love Tommy Tiernan. The show is called Tomfoolery. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 11th, I've booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I am really looking forward to this play..

On the 12th, I'm finally going to Six, the Musical! Based around the story of the six wives of Henry VIII (very loosely, I'd say), it's playing at the Vaudeville and I hear good things. Cheapest tickets from Leicester Square Box Office.

On the 13th, back with CL, who are off to the opera at the Southbank Centre. The show in question is The Paradis Files. Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Easter - but left it so late to book, I could only get an afternoon flight, and will have to start my new job (whenever) by asking for that day off work!

Well, my friend got back to me - they're away in the middle of Easter week, back on the 21st, so the most sensible thing to do seemed to be to visit on the 22nd, which I've now arranged with her. Whether I take that week as holiday, or take the laptop there and work from Ireland, remains to be seen. Anyway, I'll fly back to London on the 24th. And on the 25th, I'm off to The Corn is Green, at the National.

No comments:

Post a Comment