Saturday 5 February 2022

Play: The Red Balloon & Walk: Passage Through Pimlico

Yesterday, I headed with the London European Club (LEC) to the Puppet Theatre Barge, for a performance of The Red Balloon! Sadly, our organiser tested positive for Covid that morning, and couldn't make it. Left in decent time - this far away, it had to be Tube. Now, of the three lines that share the platform I was waiting on, two would have done. Unfortunately, the one that came had no sign indicating what line it was - just a destination: Amersham. I don't take the Tube often enough to have known automatically what line goes there. With no Underground maps anywhere in sight, I took a chance and hopped on - and of course, this turned out to be the one line that wouldn't do - the Metropolitan. Never mind, it'd do for a few stops.. I could have ridden it as far as Baker Street, but bearing in mind what a complicated station that is, I decided to get off at the stop before.

It wasn't long before the next train arrived - and lo, it was another with no line name, and a destination of Amersham! Well, I know what that is now. The one after was headed to Paddington, which was where I was headed. Conveniently finished my paper just as I arrived, and left it there. And followed the handy sign for Little Venice. I had 25 minutes to do what Google Maps said was an 8-minute walk.

Heh. It felt more like Shackleton's expedition to the Antarctic.

Google Maps does have a disclaimer that their directions might be incorrect, or that walking routes might be unwalkable (!). Gee, no kidding. So, I started off walking along the canal - fine. My woes began when I took their advice to cross the footbridge. I then found myself on the other side - which was darker. Nearly twisted my ankle on some particularly knobbly cobblestones. Anyway, creeping along past the barges, using the torch on my phone, I finally made my way to Rembrandt Gardens, where I was apparently supposed to pass on to the main road.

They were locked. I subsequently discovered they close at 6pm - this was, of course after that.

You've guessed it - of all the pathways and steps that lead from the canals of Little Venice up onto the roads, this bit doesn't have any. Yes, I had to retrace my steps all the way to the footbridge, and come up the other side. Where it was a long way to the next bridge..

My next mistake was not taking the little footbridge that runs alongside it - I could see that let you down by the barges, and frankly, given the experience I'd just had, I wasn't keen! So I schlepped along the main road, checking out the barges through the railings as I passed, and sure enough, near the end, there was the Puppet Theatre barge! Blast, and now I couldn't see a way down to it. Mercifully, there was a man standing on it. It was now showtime - and ascertaining that I was headed there, he reassured me that they hadn't started yet. "But how do I get down to you?" So he informed me that I had to cross at the lights, and there was a way down to the right, on the other side. Thankfully, the lights were in my favour - but I still couldn't see the way down, until I spotted a couple of blokes climbing up. So, would you believe it, I made it in time! To find the room dotted with members of the group, who hailed me, one remarking that they had been wondering..

It's a snug space, although larger than you might expect from the outside. Nearly full, but not quite. With marionettes hanging all over the walls, I'd have loved to take a photo - but it was about start time, and I was a bit frazzled, and just hurried to turn my phone off. Never mind - the show, which lasted just over an hour, was lovely! Three puppeteers, as we discovered when they took their bows at the end (including the nice man who gave me directions). And a simple story, without words, of a little boy, and his friendship with a (rather feisty) lovely, round, shiny red balloon. Highly amusing, based on the short film of the same name - runs until the 20th of next month, and comes highly recommended!

Afterwards, consensus was on The Bridge House bar, just up the road, and much easier to get to - when we got there, I posted a message so any stragglers could find us. And it was a relief to get in from what was a bitterly cold night, again! Unfortunately, we couldn't all sit together - but we did all get seating. And had one or two drinks.. confirming once again that this is one of the friendliest of groups! (And once again, I got a drink bought for me.) Lovely night, great company - hope to do it again soon. The bus back was quicker than it would have been earlier, making it the prime option for heading home. Sadly, this was one of those occasions when I just missed my bus, and nearly froze to death waiting for the next.. I ended up getting three buses in the end, always choosing the combination that meant the least time spent standing in the cold!

Ran too late to blog last night, because today, I was back with the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners, and Laurence Summers - got the last spot on his Passage through Pimlico walk! which, as he was telling me Tuesday last week, is through a not very well-known part of town! Well, this one promised at least to be warmer, being in daytime.

Dragged myself, grumbling, out of bed as usual on these occasions, got some cash out, and made an early bus. Was there in plenty of time, and had enough time to get a hot chocolate in Pret - on what was another frigid morning! Just as I finished, he materialised across the road, a crowd around him - handily, there was also a bin over there, not something there are a lot of in central London. For obvious reasons. Anyway, after more excruciating waiting around in the cold, we began with a chat about what we could see around us.


And then, off we traipsed. Now, this part of town - close to the centre of things - has housed a lot of interesting people. So naturally, most of the walk focused on those, and we went through a lot of what still look like residential areas. Not, honestly, a lot to photograph - but as the sun came out, we did appreciate the warmth, and our guide tried to steer us towards sunnier areas. And despite the woman on the side of the road, painting the Battersea Power Station, no, I didn't feel like photographing that either. Towards the end, we did come across the imposing statue of the MP whose claim to fame was that he was the first person killed in a rail accident:


(Well, it's nice to be famous for something.) Have to say, I was glad to have a walk around Pimlico - not a part of town I was familiar with at all; indeed, I'd have had trouble telling you where it was! Pity there was such a cold wind, is all.

And so to lunch. Now, our guide apologised for the venue, which was a bit far away - he hadn't thought to factor in the Six Nations, you see, and most of the pubs were packed with people wanting to watch it! But he found us space in the Brass Monkey. (Cue saying..) Except our arrival was kind of a surprise to the guy behind the bar - there was some kind of miscommunication, with our guide thinking it was confirmed, apart from slightly fuzzy numbers, and the guy in the pub under the impression that it wasn't confirmed at all! Hey-ho, he was prevailed upon to evict an unsuspecting family, and we did all get to sit together. Within sight of two televisions - neither of which was (yet) showing the rugby.


When we hit the loos, there was no toilet paper - although I went again before we left, and it had been replenished. And the poor guy behind the bar was not having the best of days - apart from us descending on him (sort of) unannounced, and lots of other people who had no place to go and ended up there, when he was clearing a table near us, he let a whole load of chips go crashing to the floor! and while he tried to pick those up, there went the sauce as well. Oh dear. Some days you just shouldn't get up. But I have to say, he remained cheery throughout.

Food has to be ordered at the bar, and while I was waiting to do so, some came out, so I got a preview - not liking the look of the burger I'd planned on ordering (and most of the menu is composed of burgers), I just had some "waffle chips" and some onion rings. Which, to be fair, were excellent - and I heard no complaints from the others. Possibly, the burger would have been OK too. Never mind, the chat was mighty (as they say) - another excellent outing with this group. I have been lucky with my groups! And - you guessed it - someone bought me a drink. So yes, hoping to go on another of these outings again soon, too! Happily, Laurence has a good portfolio of walks - they just need to fall when I can make them. Watch this space - always happy to go on his walks, they're always entertaining. (Oh, and the rugby did come on before we left - and Ireland's blistering trouncing of Wales did guarantee them the win, in the end.)

Tomorrow, Crick Crack scheduled an interesting one - Japanese ghost stories, the event was called The Game of Candles, with each story represented by a lit candle, blown out when the story is completed. Was taking place at the British MuseumTim Ralphs and Sarah-Liisa Wilkinson performing. Sold out quickly - they were only doing half capacity.

Except - yesterday morning, the museum sent word that it was cancelled, and to contact them for a refund! Nuts, I was really looking forward to that (as was another member of the LEC). They are running it again, but not in London - although they are livestreaming it, but wouldn't you know it, it's the same night as another show! Rats.

So, instead, I'm booked on another guided walk - this is the Platinum Jubilee Royal Walk, with London Walks, Art & Culture Explorers! Not expecting this one to be as sociable, but should be fairly interesting - all about the Queen, on what is her actual Platinum Jubilee! So, taking place pretty near where we were today. It's supposed to rain all night and in the morning, but that will hopefully have stopped by the time of the walk, which starts a bit later than today's. Tickets through Eventbrite.

And on Monday - another interesting talk by The Garden Talks. This one is What Conditions Create Witch Hunts? Have to say, Meetup seems to have awoken from the doldrums..!

No comments:

Post a Comment