Sunday 6 March 2022

Storytelling: Atalanta

Today, it was back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for Atalanta, as recounted by Ben Haggarty, at the British Museum. Well, he is the man for Greek mythology.. And mercifully, I got a bit more of a lie-in, as it wasn't on till afternoon.

So this gave me the chance to go get a new battery (turned out it needs four!) for my PIN sentry. Which I need to access my online banking. Which I need to do in order to get a bank statement. Which I need as proof of address for my new company. (Jeez, whatever about the house that Jack built, I swear, if it had this many steps, he'd just have given up and lived in a tent..) Google Maps informed me that something called the President Watch Co. Ltd. was open today, and was located about 10 minutes' walk from me. So off I set.

Noticed myself walking through all sorts of areas covered on the Jewish Neighbourhood walk! And down what used to be known as Petticoat Lane, and earned its nickname today, with the clothes market filling it. Anyway, I continued to the watch shop - which really seems to be the place to go for watches, which line every inch of space! So, I was greeted by the friendly owner, whom I gave the watch I also brought - when I produced the PIN sentry reader, his son (I'm guessing) went to work on that. Both on the spot, no waiting. And within maybe five minutes - perhaps slightly more - I had two working gadgets. Now, there's service. They don't take card, and I didn't have cash - so the owner led me next door, spoke briefly to the shopkeeper in a language I didn't recognise, and I paid him by card instead! (Cheap, too.) Doubtless he then paid the watch-shop proprietor back in cash. So, highly recommended - but maybe take cash.

Back then, through a maze of alleyways, to Liverpool Street Station, and brunch at Delice de France. Where I'm glad to say, for once I didn't burn my mouth on the steak slice. Did make a mess though - the filling isn't exactly secure in the pastry. Anyway, I headed straight for the museum after that - didn't think it was worth returning home.

Someone should really tell Google Maps that buses aren't currently continuing all the way to St. Giles' Street, due to a gas leak. Well, it's not too much extra to walk - and queues at the museum are non-existent these days! As usual, the storytelling happens downstairs, to the right as you enter from the Museum Street direction. I was a bit early, so had a mooch around the excellent gift shop - just gutted I didn't have an excuse to buy anything! When it was closer to time, I headed down, where an usher was directing us towards the middle. I ignored her and took my usual seat near the front.


When Ben emerged, he waited for a while for a few latecomers to take their seats, then gave the thumbs-up to the lighting guy, and took his place onstage. That lighting guy's heart doesn't really seem to have been in it - that display of a moon, which is used at all the Crick Crack events here, was a projection from a computer. As we discovered when it went off, and a login page appeared - so there was a titter in the audience (mid-story) while we all got to find out what the lighting guy's username is! (if not his password, which was obfuscated). Reception for the moon was dicey for the rest of the performance - and when Ben moved to the stool at the side at one point, and asked whether the light could be turned on him.. no response.

The storytelling itself was excellent as ever, with Ben's booming voice and expansive descriptions bringing such life and depth to the story that you become utterly lost in it. In this version, which merges myths, Atalanta herself, when a baby, was abandoned by her father, the King of Arcadia, who wanted a son, and ordered his servant to kill her. Instead, he left her on a rock under the full moon, offering her up to Artemis, the moon goddess, and brought a deer's heart back to the king. Atalanta was raised by a bear whose own cubs had been killed by hunters, but when she grew, the bear realised that she was not a bear, and returned her to the world of humans, where she became a skilled hunter. And so the story really begins.

As he said, this was their first show back here in two years.. and isn't it great! He estimated an hour and 15 minutes - in the end, it ran to an hour and a half, and no-one minded. Very much looking forward to the next.

Now, on the way there, I passed Amarcord Museum, which I always used to love - the Italian next door has now become a ramen place, but I was delighted to see that Amarcord survived, and determined to eat there afterwards. They only just managed to squeeze me in, at a small table just inside the door, which was awkward as, of course, the door was constantly being opened, and it was freezing outside! but I decided that was a small price to pay. I noticed they now sell cakes and pastries, displayed in the window - that's new since I was here last!

The menu has changed a bit, but not totally, and I identified some dishes I liked. Ordered garlic bread, followed by chicken cacciatora with sautéed potatoes, and a large sauvignon blanc. Well, the wine was lovely - but it was obvious that there's been a change in management, a change in recipes. The garlic bread was dry and hard - kind of like a biscuit. Edible, but not terrific. But the main course..! The chicken came out completely smothered in a dry-looking, thick, lumpy, red sauce - not at all what I'd been expecting. Of course, I'm intolerant to tomato, and had to scrape most of it off - to discover that most of the area covered by the sauce was not chicken. I found, I think, one mushroom - but it was hard to find anything in that gloop. Watching one of the waiters have her dinner, with a different sauce, it looked just as dry and unappetising, so I guess this is now a feature. The best of the dinner were the sautéed potatoes, which were as I remembered.

I was quite prepared to give dessert a go - but they were equally prepared to ignore me. It wasn't until I gave up and was putting on my coat that someone came to collect my things and asked how my dinner had been. She'd actually been quite nice, and had poor English, so I spared her and just asked for the bill - even at that, I was long enough getting it, as the lady at the till had to serve another pair first, who'd also had to come up to her for their bill, as it hadn't been brought to them! I notice I was charged for service - for the sake of that nice girl, who'd also taken my order in the first place, I let that go. But someone beat me about the head if I'm EVER stupid enough to go back here! Indifferent food and poor service - come on, you can find much better restaurants. Such a shame - I gave this place so many five-star reviews, back in the day!

I had to catch the #8 back. Now, whatever the cause, my Buses Due app never knows what this bus is doing - so I wasn't unduly concerned when it showed no sign of it. However, I was getting impatient after standing there for 20 minutes in the freezing cold.. so I wandered over to the stop, to discover a sign on it that said that it was diverted due to that gas leak, and I should head to the next. So I did - and sod it if that one didn't have the same sign on it! As I was heading on the next again, Lord knows where it came from, but the blasted bus sped by (where I'd just come from) and so I missed it and had to wait again. Ooh, my mood was unmentionable by the time I got home.. But at least I'm now in from the Arctic conditions.

Tomorrow, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for a new version of Wuthering Heights, at the National. Well, this was my favourite book for a long time - let's see what they've done to it!

On Tuesday, I'm at Anarchy at the Opera, at Hoxton Hall. Courtesy of TAC. Where we're going to hear some lesser known works..

On Wednesday and Thursday, back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG). Wednesday, it's a concert at the Southbank Centre, where Sheku Kanneh-Mason plays Shostakovich. Apart from numerous other accolades, he achieved worldwide renown after playing at the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. (And nuts if CT didn't just advertise tickets for this..!)

On Thursday, we're back to the Barbican for a concert of Haydn music by the Academy of Ancient Music.

Now, my new job - after some chasing - did finally send me the paperwork to complete. But as I still don't have it back to them, I figure they surely won't have me up and running by Friday! so I've booked on another of Laurence Summers' walks with the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners - Pubs, Poets & Prostitutes: a Tour of Southwark. Honestly, I think this is my favourite part of London - can't resist. And again, we'll finish fairly close to home for me - because that evening I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again. As I really need a haircut, I bet I won't get to see a film that weekend, either.

On the 14th, more classical music at the Barbican - this time it's with London Baroque Music Lovers, and this is Handel with Les Arts Florissants.

On the 15th, headed with UITCS to The Woods, at Southwark Playhouse. Aw man, it's over a year since I last saw a performance from there, and over two years since I was last there in person! And would you believe it, I bought a PAYG subscription from them years ago, and it still entitles me to free tickets. So I used it for this! With the group having snapped up most of the front row, I'm in the row behind..

On the 16th, I'm back with LCMTG - for a play this time! We're seeing Straight Line Crazy, with Ralph Fiennes, at the Bridge. Just as well we booked early - availability is low for that night.

The 17th is, of course, St. Patrick's Day. In Ireland, it's a bank holiday - here, Kíla is playing the London Irish Centre again. A standing gig, this time. Should be mad.

On the 18th, I'm back with London European Club, for 24 Italian Songs & Arias, at Battersea Arts Centre. They're operating a "Pay What You Can" scheme, where you pay what you want, between £5 and £35 - recommended price, £16. They even sent me a survey afterwards to see what I thought!

On the 19th, back with Laurence and the 45+s - this time, it's Highgate: A Very English Village. More hills..

On the 20th.. someone I swore I'd never do a walk with again. Well, we'll see whether she's back on form - Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts (WTTH) is off on a walk called Secrets of Belgravia. (Courtesy of her company, London Guided Walks.) The code MEETUP3 gets you a £3 discount on all her walks - which does cover the booking fee of £1, not advertised before you come to the point of purchasing the ticket. Well, it'll be a start if she shows up!

On the 21st, I'm at another Zoom talk - Quakers at War is the story of the Quakers and their pacifism. Courtesy of Surrey History Meetup.

On the 22nd.. I'm booked for Dear Evan Hansen, at the Noel Coward Theatre! Finally - I'd booked for this before lockdown, and of course it got cancelled. Cheapest tickets from the official site.

On the 23rd, back with Civilised London (CL) - back at Le Sacré Coeur, meeting beforehand at The Crown, as usual.

On the 24th, back with TAC for Avocado Presents - Improv, at Etcetera Theatre. Eh, I think it's a jazz concert? Anyway, then back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 28th, going to see Daddy at the Almeida. Having never seen a bad production here, I have high hopes.

On the 29th, finally going to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella! I hear good things.. it's playing at the Gillian Lynne Theatre, which is new to me - Seatplan was invaluable in choosing the best seating option. What's On Stage provided the cheapest price for that seat, though!

On the 30th, back with CL - for a play this time. This is The Fever Syndrome, at Hampstead Theatre.

On the 31st, back with TAC for One Night With Robbie Williams. This is at The Courtyard.

On the 1st, back with the CCC for - The Grand Annual Lying Contest! at Rich Mix.

On the 2nd, back with WTTH for a Regent's Canal Walk. Different guide.

On the 3rd, the CCC again! Emily Hennessey and Sheema Mukherjee are at the British Museum, with Holy Cow! Tales from the River of Life.

On the 4th, I'm back at the Park Theatre for the first time in nearly three years! This is for Clybourne Park, a comedy about a white family moving into a predominantly black neighbourhood.

On the 5th, I'm headed to But I'm a Cheerleader, a musical comedy at the Turbine Theatre.

On the 6th of next month, back with UITCS at Southwark Playhouse, and another free ticket for me! This time, it's for Anyone Can Whistle, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.

On the 7th of next month, Tommy Tiernan is playing at the Eventim Apollo! Now, I failed to get a ticket for this the first time around. Then it was rescheduled because of Covid.. and I got a ticket for the rescheduled event! Then that was rescheduled.. third time lucky?! Love Tommy Tiernan. The show is called Tomfoolery. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 11th of next month, I've booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I am really looking forward to this play..

On the 12th of next month, I'm finally going to Six, the Musical! Based around the story of the six wives of Henry VIII (very loosely, I'd say), it's playing at the Vaudeville and I hear good things. Cheapest tickets from Leicester Square Box Office.

And on the 13th of next month, back with CL, who are off to the opera at the Southbank Centre. The show in question is The Paradis Files.

No comments:

Post a Comment