Tuesday 29 March 2022

Musical: Cinderella

Tonight, finally went to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella! I heard good things.. it's playing at the Gillian Lynne Theatre, which was new to me - Seatplan was invaluable in choosing the best seating option. What's On Stage provided the cheapest price for that seat, though!

Looking for somewhere to eat beforehand, I didn't even know where it was.. Drury Lane, it turned out. I fancied Cote - and the nearest was the Covent Garden branch. So, there I headed - a bus kindly obliged me by arriving just as I did, and I arrived at the restaurant on the dot of the time I'd arranged for. I was just a little dubious after my experience at the St. Martin's Lane branch - but I needn't have worried. Service was quick - and friendly as could be - and the food was excellent. And this time, I got to have chocolate ice cream - which is so rich, I swear it's the chocolatiest thing on the menu! I know it was a Tuesday, but they just seem better managed here. Kudos.

And so, up the road to the theatre. Ahah! It's the one where School of Rock has been playing every time I've passed it! I just never went to see that, and had never been inside. Well, tonight I got to see the interior. Stairs or escalator up to the lobby, where, as the usher said, "everything is". Oh, and on the escalator, oddly, you stand on the left. Upstairs, you can have the Winter Garden bar on one side, or the Sean Kenny bar on the other - naturally, I went to the latter, and after a trip to the loo, got myself a drink and consulted the nearest usher about the fact that only door numbers, not seat numbers, are displayed on the signs, while a seat number, but no door number, was displayed on my ticket. For seat #4 in the Circle, she directed me to Door 5.. and wow, what a lot of stairs! Ah well, it turned out that the seats either side of me were empty, which gave me plenty of space - indeed, while the Stalls were pretty full, the Circle was half empty. Good legroom, and as promised by Seatplan, the view is just fine - the corner of the stage is cut off, but nothing happens there.


Now, this starts off simperingly sweet. Never fear, it doesn't continue that way.. this is Cinderella with a few twists! I mean, when the rhyme for "Cinderella" is "salmonella".. For a start, Prince Charming has been killed in battle - he'd been engaged to Cinderella, and when his shiny new statue is defaced, the people turn to her (this is a hint that the engagement was not exactly a fairytale). So, his shy and retiring younger brother - generally considered a poor substitute - is now heir to the throne. And needs a bride. And has to choose one at a ball. And.. you know the rest.

Cue the interval - and I needed the loo again. Unfortunately, the nearest toilets from upstairs only have three cubicles, and the queue lasted forever! Happily, the interval lasted long enough for me to grab a rather nice choc choc chip ice cream. The vendor asked me whether it was my first time seeing this (!). I mean, I have been known to go to repeat showings of things, but generally restrict that to U2 concerts..

And so to the second half. And if you thought you knew the story, think again.. this has been rethunk. Oh, and if you're in the front stalls - in front of that barrier - try not to leave your seat in the second half. Because - possibly just to centre the stage for the ball - the stage rotates, and for a while that bit of the audience ends up on the other side. Must be interesting if you are sitting there, mind.

The music, as you'd expect, is cracking. And I love what they've done with the story! Yes, this is good fun.. Booking until the 19th of February, recommended. Very clever take on the tale.

Damn cold again - I'm back in my winter coat. And it drizzled on me on the way back, unexpectedly. Tomorrow, back with Civilised London (CL) - for a play this time. This is The Fever Syndrome, at Hampstead Theatre.

On Thursday, back with TAC for One Night With Robbie Williams. This is at The Courtyard.

On Friday, my job still being up in the air, I've provisionally - again - booked with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners for a daytime walk. This is Tinker, Tailor, Soldier & a Hatful of Spies - and comes highly recommended from previous attendees! In fact, I got the last spot (at the time, anyway). Do hope I can make it.

That evening, back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for - The Grand Annual Lying Contest! at Rich Mix.

On Saturday, I had booked with Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts for a Regent's Canal Walk. But yay, Laurence and the 45+s then advertised another walk for that day, which is pretty much guaranteed to be superior. So I've booked it. This is Scandals, Scriptwriters & Sumptuous Architecture - and of course, it being a London weekend, I can go!

That evening, an ex-colleague of mine is having a leaving do - he's emigrating. Happening at The Woodman, in Highgate. I said I'd put in an appearance.

On Sunday, the CCC again! Emily Hennessey and Sheema Mukherjee are at the British Museum, with Holy Cow! Tales from the River of Life. Unfortunately, the London Landmarks Half Marathon is also that day, so I'll probably be on the Tube, at least getting to the museum. 

On Monday, I'm back at the Park Theatre for the first time in nearly three years! This is for Clybourne Park, a comedy about a white family moving into a predominantly black neighbourhood.

Next Tuesday, I'm headed to But I'm a Cheerleader, a musical comedy at the Turbine Theatre.

On the 6th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at Southwark Playhouse, and another free ticket for me! This time, it's for Anyone Can Whistle, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.

On the 7th, Tommy Tiernan is playing at the Hammersmith Apollo! Now, I failed to get a ticket for this the first time around. Then it was rescheduled because of Covid.. and I got a ticket for the rescheduled event! Then that was rescheduled.. third time lucky?! Love Tommy Tiernan. The show is called Tomfoolery. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 11th, I've booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I am really looking forward to this play..

On the 12th, I'm finally going to Six, the Musical! Based around the story of the six wives of Henry VIII (very loosely, I'd say), it's playing at the Vaudeville and I hear good things. Cheapest tickets from Leicester Square Box Office.

On the 13th, back with CL, who are off to the opera at the Southbank Centre. The show in question is The Paradis Files. Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Easter - but left it so late to book, I could only get an afternoon flight, and will have to start my new job (whenever) by asking for that day off work!

Well, my friend got back to me - they're away in the middle of Easter week, back on the 21st, so the most sensible thing to do seemed to be to visit on the 22nd, which I've now arranged with her. Whether I take that week as holiday, or take the laptop there and work from Ireland, remains to be seen. Anyway, I'll fly back to London on the 24th. And on the 25th, I'm off to The Corn is Green, at the National.

No comments:

Post a Comment