Friday 11 March 2022

Pubs, Poets & Prostitutes: a Tour of Southwark

Now, my new job - after some chasing - did finally send me the paperwork to complete. But as I only just got it back to them (you have no idea of the hoops I had to jump through), and indeed, it turns out they still have to schedule a Zoom call with me so they can take a screenshot of me holding stuff, it was obvious they wouldn't have me up and running by today! so I booked on another of Laurence Summers' walks with the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners - Pubs, Poets & Prostitutes: a Tour of Southwark. Got cash out for it on the way home last night. Honestly, I think this is my favourite part of London - can't resist. And again, we'd finish fairly close to home for me - because this evening I was to fly back to Ireland for the weekend again. Interestingly, Ryanair, with whom I fly, yesterday sent me an email about possible delays at security at Stansted, and how I should allow for it - so I decided to plump for fast track, for once.

Wasn't to bed too late for once - so wasn't too miffed at an early start. We were to meet at Costa on New Bridge Street - walking distance from me. (Hey, this means it'll be five days in a row I don't use my Oyster card! Poor TFL.. but I enjoyed the walk.) Arrived in good time, the promised rain holding off. Seeing no-one waiting outside, I went inside - sure enough, that's where they were. I saw white hot chocolate on the menu, and decided to go for that - medium size. Marshmallows and cream? But of course..

I sat with the others. My drink looked a bit daunting - larger than I'd expected. The marshmallows were full-size, not the mini ones you often get with hot chocolate, and came in a separate container - I left them there, and ate them separately. The drink had enough going on. But hey, I managed.. although as usual, the sweetest part got stuck in the base. It was lovely, though. And I just got finished about when our guide arrived. He, mind you, stayed outside - the group tended to pop out and pay him, then pop right back in again. V sensible, starting at a coffee shop.. he should do this more often! ;-)

Now, I've literally been on innumerable tours of Southwark. I expected to hear a lot of stuff I already knew - and I did. But happily, there was a lot I hadn't heard! like how the Bridewell started life as a palace under Henry VIII. (That man crops up everywhere.) And so across the bridge, and down to Bankside, and I was a happy bunny. Always associate this area with good times.


(Don't think I knew Uber had boats!)

And so down to the Globe - I see both Hamlet (in the Wanamaker Playhouse) and Macbeth are currently playing. Jeez, I remember seeing a previous production of Macbeth here - seriously scary, truly impressive. I doubt this production is as scary, being directed at schoolkids. Such as the gaggle that we ended up beside as our guide tried valiantly to give his spiel. Ah, the trials of a tour guide..

And so down the road a bit..


Say, bear-baiting wasn't abolished until 1827! Well, considering they still have bullfighting in some parts of the world today.. Anyway, on to the old theatre sites, on from there to the Clink:


(Last time I was here, of course, was on Pancake Tuesday..) And just over the way, I heard how the "Winchester Geese" might have been so-called because they wore white! Hadn't heard that one before. As we competed with a rival tour guide. Popular part of town. We duly wound our way to the market, and Southwark Cathedral:


Where some left, and most congregated for lunch - at The Market Porter! Laurence had booked most of the upstairs dining room for us - and a good job we could make it, because he had to pay a deposit. Anyway, they were a bit overwhelmed I think, because delivery of the food was a bit slow, but the food was good, although most weren't able for the portions. I had steak & ale pie, BTW, which came with a little jug of gravy. V impractically, it had no handles, but a couple of dimples on the sides where you could hold it - which would be fine, if it hadn't been so damn hot! Anyway, we were well fed, with a lovely view of the market.


Now, our guide had plans for the evening, and took himself off after lunch. A few people had plans to mooch around the market - but, much as I love the market, it was chucking down rain finally, and as I had a flight to catch, I wasn't in the mood for mooching. So I headed off. At the airport later, I was to find that the nature of fast track is that they check your pass to make sure you've paid the extra, then you mosey down a separate corridor, and are literally led to the head of the queue at security. Which made me feel a bit guilty, but would be a lifesaver if you were in danger of missing your flight. In fact, with the size of today's queue, the location of the gate (quite remote), and the time I did finally get there, I think I was lucky to have it today. Great thing is, there are terminals right outside security where you can buy fast track access at the last minute.

The flight got in early, and my taxi driver wasn't ready. So I got to schlep around Shannon Airport briefly. Where I noticed that, although many people have stopped wearing masks, the statue is still being cautious!


Some context on that statue:


(Good luck tomorrow, lads!)

Tomorrow, I've booked a much-needed haircut, so I won't get to see a film this weekend.

On Monday, more classical music at the Barbican - this time it's with London Baroque Music Lovers, and this is Handel with Les Arts Florissants.

On Tuesday, headed with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) to The Woods, at Southwark Playhouse. Aw man, it's over a year since I last saw a performance from there, and over two years since I was last there in person! And would you believe it, I bought a PAYG subscription from them years ago, and it still entitles me to free tickets. So I used it for this! With the group having snapped up most of the front row, I'm in the row behind..

On Wednesday, booked again with Laurence and the 45+s.. well, you couldn't make up the trouble I'm having with the new job, so I'm guessing I still won't have started by then! Jeez, just as well I have savings.. This walk is Glamorous Chelsea and its Famous Residents.

That evening, I'm back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - for a play this time! We're seeing Straight Line Crazy, with Ralph Fiennes, at the Bridge. Just as well we booked early - availability is low for that night.

Thursday is, of course, St. Patrick's Day. In Ireland, it's a bank holiday - in London, Kíla is playing the London Irish Centre again. A standing gig, this time. Should be mad.

Next Friday, I'm back with London European Club, for 24 Italian Songs & Arias, at Battersea Arts Centre. They're operating a "Pay What You Can" scheme, where you pay what you want, between £5 and £35 - recommended price, £16. They even sent me a survey afterwards to see what I thought!

On the 19th, back with Laurence and the 45+s - this time, it's Highgate: A Very English Village. More hills..

On the 20th.. someone I swore I'd never do a walk with again. Well, we'll see whether she's back on form - Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts (WTTH) is off on a walk called Secrets of Belgravia. (Courtesy of her company, London Guided Walks.) The code MEETUP3 gets you a £3 discount on all her walks - which does cover the booking fee of £1, not advertised before you come to the point of purchasing the ticket. Well, it'll be a start if she shows up!

On the 21st, I'm at another Zoom talk - Quakers at War is the story of the Quakers and their pacifism. Courtesy of Surrey History Meetup.

On the 22nd.. I'm booked for Dear Evan Hansen, at the Noel Coward Theatre! Finally - I'd booked for this before lockdown, and of course it got cancelled. Cheapest tickets from the official site.

On the 23rd, back with Civilised London (CL) - back at Le Sacré Coeur, meeting beforehand at The Crown, as usual.

On the 24th, back with TAC for Avocado Presents - Improv, at Etcetera Theatre. Eh, I think it's a jazz concert? Anyway, then back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 28th, going to see Daddy at the Almeida. Having never seen a bad production here, I have high hopes.

On the 29th, finally going to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella! I hear good things.. it's playing at the Gillian Lynne Theatre, which is new to me - Seatplan was invaluable in choosing the best seating option. What's On Stage provided the cheapest price for that seat, though!

On the 30th, back with CL - for a play this time. This is The Fever Syndrome, at Hampstead Theatre.

On the 31st, back with TAC for One Night With Robbie Williams. This is at The Courtyard.

On the 1st, back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for - The Grand Annual Lying Contest! at Rich Mix.

On the 2nd, back with WTTH for a Regent's Canal Walk. Different guide.

On the 3rd, the CCC again! Emily Hennessey and Sheema Mukherjee are at the British Museum, with Holy Cow! Tales from the River of Life.

On the 4th, I'm back at the Park Theatre for the first time in nearly three years! This is for Clybourne Park, a comedy about a white family moving into a predominantly black neighbourhood.

On the 5th, I'm headed to But I'm a Cheerleader, a musical comedy at the Turbine Theatre.

On the 6th, back with UITCS at Southwark Playhouse, and another free ticket for me! This time, it's for Anyone Can Whistle, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.

On the 7th, Tommy Tiernan is playing at the Eventim Apollo! Now, I failed to get a ticket for this the first time around. Then it was rescheduled because of Covid.. and I got a ticket for the rescheduled event! Then that was rescheduled.. third time lucky?! Love Tommy Tiernan. The show is called Tomfoolery. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 11th of next month, I've booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I am really looking forward to this play..

On the 12th of next month, I'm finally going to Six, the Musical! Based around the story of the six wives of Henry VIII (very loosely, I'd say), it's playing at the Vaudeville and I hear good things. Cheapest tickets from Leicester Square Box Office.

And on the 13th of next month, back with CL, who are off to the opera at the Southbank Centre. The show in question is The Paradis Files. Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Easter - but left it so late to book, I could only get an afternoon flight, and will have to start my new job by asking for that day off work! Still waiting to hear whether my friend will be around after Easter, for me to pay a flying visit..

No comments:

Post a Comment