Wednesday 2 March 2022

Restaurant: Liman

Today, wouldn't you know it, Helen was unexpectedly in town for a conference. But this evening, I was back with Civilised London (CL) for a Turkish meal, at Liman - meeting beforehand at The Crown, as usual. Nuts. So I agreed to head over to Fortnum & Mason (she fancied some shopping) to meet her briefly before tearing across town for my other event. Whoever said my life wasn't complicated.. 

In the event, she was finished quite early, and in I went - by Tube, for quickness. She zipped around with a shopping list - never say she doesn't make the most of her trips to London! and then she fancied food, so we went for drinks, a bagel for her, and a catch-up, at the café in Waterstone's. Be not fooled - yes, you do have to go down the stairs from ground level, then up the spiral staircase. No, the lift doesn't go there. But you get served at the table, and I can testify to the chocolatey quality of the hot chocolate, which is excellent! The view out the window isn't spectacular, but the scaffolding can't be helped. And it was great to catch up, and compare notes on nasty company doings.

After we'd parted, I headed for the (mercifully working) Tube again and headed for The Crown. In fact, all but one of us made it there. It was unusually busy, we agreed.. but seeing that we had too many for where we were sat, the staff kindly sourced us a bigger table. Much of the talk was about the war - naturally, given that it's on everyone's mind, and on the front of every paper.

In due course, we headed to the restaurant - and although I've eaten Turkish food with this group before, it wasn't here. Service had a kind of military efficiency, and the toilets are probably unisex - it's hard to tell from the rather odd symbols on the doors. We had the whole shebang of food - starters, mains, desserts - and all was proclaimed excellent. I and another had calamari to start, we both had lamb shanks for main - and they were delicious, although the shanks completely defeated us. Someone else had lamb shish kebab, which smelled delicious and might have been more manageable. But everything that was put on the table was scoffed, and we were sated. Well.. except for dessert. I had a gorgeous chocolate truffle cake, served with a scoop of ice cream (had to ask for a spoon) - others had baklava. And not a dissenting note did I hear from anyone.

With more wine ordered, we didn't head to the pub afterwards - and for the first time today, I got the bus home. But it was lovely to see everyone, and I'm looking forward to the next.

Tomorrow, I was supposed to be back with Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex, for what promises to be a very interesting talk: Dark Days Virtual Show - The Dark Days of Edgar Allen Poe. Love Edgar Allen Poe, myself. But it was then rescheduled, and I can't make the new date. Have requested a refund. So, looking for something else to do, I came across Over 40 Living the Life. Who are off to the Vauxhall Comedy Club. Two interesting things about this. Firstly, the group is charging twice what the venue is advertising - so fine, I won't go with the group. Secondly, the venue is adding a 50p booking fee to what they're advertising. So, you know, seems a bit rich to advertise an "early bird" charge, then add a booking fee. But whatever. I'm going. On my own. (Oh, it does include a free drink.) Tickets from Design My Night. Could be interesting getting there, on a strike day.. it'd be over an hour's walk, if it came to that! Probably in the rain.

On Friday, Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners have another walk - A Vibrant Village! Walking Tour of Marylebone. And as it's pretty unlikely that I'll have started my new job by then, I've said I'll go (provisionally). Lunch after as well, of course! and this time, I don't have a flight to catch. And with any luck, I'll be able to get the Tube.

On Saturday, back with them all again for the Heavenly Heights of Hampstead Walking Tour. Heavens, I shall be fit after the Hampstead hills..

On Sunday, it's back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for Atalanta, as recounted by Ben Haggarty, at the British Museum. Assuming their pipes are fixed. Well, he is the man for Greek mythology..

On Monday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for a new version of Wuthering Heights, at the National. Well, this was my favourite book for a long time - let's see what they've done to it!

On Tuesday, I'm at Anarchy at the Opera, at Hoxton Hall. Courtesy of TAC. Where we're going to hear some lesser known works..

Next Wednesday and on the 10th, back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG). Next Wednesday, it's a concert at the Southbank Centre, where Sheku Kanneh-Mason plays Shostakovich. Apart from numerous other accolades, he achieved worldwide renown after playing at the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

On the 10th, we're back to the Barbican for a concert of Haydn music by the Academy of Ancient Music. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 14th, more classical music at the Barbican - this time it's with London Baroque Music Lovers, and this is Handel with Les Arts Florissants.

On the 15th, headed with UITCS to The Woods, at Southwark Playhouse. Aw man, it's over a year since I last saw a performance from there, and over two years since I was last there in person! And would you believe it, I bought a PAYG subscription from them years ago, and it still entitles me to free tickets. So I used it for this! With the group having snapped up most of the front row, I'm in the row behind..

On the 16th, I'm back with LCMTG - for a play this time! We're seeing Straight Line Crazy, with Ralph Fiennes, at the Bridge. Just as well we booked early - availability is low for that night.

The 17th is, of course, St. Patrick's Day. In Ireland, it's a bank holiday - here, Kíla is playing the London Irish Centre again. A standing gig, this time. Should be mad.

On the 18th, I'm back with London European Club, for 24 Italian Songs & Arias, at Battersea Arts Centre. They're operating a "Pay What You Can" scheme, where you pay what you want, between £5 and £35 - recommended price, £16. They even sent me a survey afterwards to see what I thought!

On the 19th, back with Laurence and the 45+s - this time, it's Highgate: A Very English Village.

On the 20th.. someone I swore I'd never do a walk with again. Well, we'll see whether she's back on form - Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts (WTTH) is off on a walk called Secrets of Belgravia. (Courtesy of her company, London Guided Walks.) The code MEETUP3 gets you a £3 discount on all her walks - which does cover the booking fee of £1, not advertised before you come to the point of purchasing the ticket. Well, it'll be a start if she shows up!

On the 21st, I'm at another Zoom talk - Quakers at War is the story of the Quakers and their pacifism. Courtesy of Surrey History Meetup.

On the 22nd.. I'm booked for Dear Evan Hansen, at the Noel Coward Theatre! Finally - I'd booked for this before lockdown, and of course it got cancelled. Cheapest tickets from the official site.

On the 23rd, back with CL - back at Le Sacré Coeur, meeting beforehand at The Crown, as usual.

On the 24th, back with TAC for Avocado Presents - Improv, at Etcetera Theatre. Eh, I think it's a jazz concert? Anyway, then back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 28th, going to see Daddy at the Almeida. Having never seen a bad production here, I have high hopes.

On the 29th, finally going to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella! I hear good things.. it's playing at the Gillian Lynne Theatre, which is new to me - Seatplan was invaluable in choosing the best seating option. What's On Stage provided the cheapest price for that seat, though!

On the 30th, back with CL - for a play this time. This is The Fever Syndrome, at Hampstead Theatre.

On the 31st, back with TAC for One Night With Robbie Williams. This is at The Courtyard.

On the 1st, back with the CCC for - The Grand Annual Lying Contest! at Rich Mix.

On the 2nd of next month, back with WTTH for a Regent's Canal Walk. Different guide.

On the 3rd of next month, the CCC again! Emily Hennessey and Sheema Mukherjee are at the British Museum, with Holy Cow! Tales from the River of Life.

On the 4th of next month, I'm back at the Park Theatre for the first time in nearly three years! This is for Clybourne Park, a comedy about a white family moving into a predominantly black neighbourhood.

On the 5th of next month, I'm headed to But I'm a Cheerleader, a musical comedy at the Turbine Theatre.

On the 6th of next month, back with UITCS at Southwark Playhouse, and another free ticket for me! This time, it's for Anyone Can Whistle, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.

On the 7th of next month, Tommy Tiernan is playing at the Eventim Apollo! Now, I failed to get a ticket for this the first time around. Then it was rescheduled because of Covid.. and I got a ticket for the rescheduled event! Then that was rescheduled.. third time lucky?! Love Tommy Tiernan. The show is called Tomfoolery. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 11th of next month, I've booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I am really looking forward to this play..

On the 12th of next month, I'm finally going to Six, the Musical! Based around the story of the six wives of Henry VIII (very loosely, I'd say), it's playing at the Vaudeville and I hear good things. Cheapest tickets from Leicester Square Box Office.

And on the 13th of next month, back with CL, who are off to the opera at the Southbank Centre. The show in question is The Paradis Files.

No comments:

Post a Comment