Friday 4 March 2022

Mooch About - Thursday at the Vauxhall Comedy Club & A Vibrant Village! Walking Tour of Marylebone

Yesterday, I was supposed to be back with Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex, for what promises to be a very interesting talk: Dark Days Virtual Show - The Dark Days of Edgar Allen Poe. Love Edgar Allen Poe, myself. But it was then rescheduled, and I can't make the new date. Have requested a refund. So, looking for something else to do, I came across Over 40 Living the Life. Who were off to the Vauxhall Comedy Club. Two interesting things about this. Firstly, the group was charging twice what the venue advertises - so fine, I didn't go with the group. Secondly, the venue adds a 50p booking fee to what they're advertising. So, you know, seems a bit rich to advertise an "early bird" charge, then add a booking fee. But whatever. I went. On my own. (Oh, it does include a free drink.) Tickets from Design My Night. Promised to be interesting getting there, on a strike day.. it'd be over an hour's walk, if it came to that! Probably in the rain.

In the event, it didn't rain. But it was interesting, schlepping around Liverpool Street Station - I hadn't been there to see the effects on Tuesday. The Tube entrances were blocked - mostly; a shuttle service was running on the Central Line between there and Hainault. And a TFL worker was there to answer queries, and distribute copies of the poster displayed outside the entrance. You know, the kind you get on bus stops, with a map of the surrounding area, and an index so you could check what bus you needed to get, and from where..

Me, I knew what buses I could get, and where to get them. As usual, I had a choice, and the first to come was the one I chose - the #35 took me to Elephant and Castle, where I had to change. Ironically, the next one along was the #344, which I could have got straight from home in the first place.. Anyway, I was lucky to get a seat on both, despite the crowds caused by the Tube strike - and this dropped me a few minutes' walk from the club. Now, I don't know this area much at all, and pretty much followed my nose - over the high walkway that you need to take just to stay on your side of the road, and through a railway tunnel.. and if I hadn't had my nose in my phone, I'd have noticed the club, which I passed on the other side. As it happened, once I was out the other side of the tunnel, I realised I'd come too far, and retraced my steps.

Oh my, but they've decorated nicely. This is literally a beer garden, with a green carpet, food stalls along the side, and a long bar. Loads of long benches to eat and drink at. Following others, however, I realised that the comedy was through one of the doors - the doorman scanned my QR code, and gave me a drinks voucher. So I went back and queued for a 175ml wine, then back to the door and in - I could have grabbed something to eat, probably; the show, with an advertised start time of 7.30, didn't actually start till 8. But hey.


I sat, pretty safely, in the third row - this is not my first comedy show, and I wasn't in the mood to be part of the performance. A DJ up at the side provides a musical backdrop - and the guy taking tickets on the door turned out to be the MC. Eight (!) acts - four before a 10-minute interval, four more after. And in time-honoured tradition, as the acts progressed, they got progressively better. Which is the polite way of saying that the first three were.. trying. You can just tell when someone hasn't quite got the knack of this yet - particularly when the next one up is so good! But you know, the fourth one made the first half worth coming for. Apologies, I cannot remember a single name - none were familiar to me - but I do know that the second half just flew, and I was sorry when it ended. So, well worth a punt! V cool vibe as well - I'd be delighted to come back here. And maybe have a burger, next time - no hassle bringing food and drink in, either.

The wait for the bus back was freeeeezing.. but at least it was a lot less crowded. Sadly, it ran too late last night to blog.

Because today, Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners had another walk - A Vibrant Village! Walking Tour of Marylebone. And as I haven't yet started my new job, I booked. Lunch after as well, of course! and this time, I didn't have a flight to catch. Had to be up reasonably early though. And might have got the bus, except by the time I was ready to leave, Tube was the only reasonable option. My local cash machine didn't have cash, so I figured I'd get some when I arrived.

Bond Street Station has an exit in Marylebone Lane. Who knew?! Anyway, this is where we were to meet. Now, I did see a sign in the station.. then went through the barrier and seemed to lose it again. So I just went onto Oxford Street. Where I did get an ATM. And then turned around, and noticed a sign for Marylebone Lane - and an Underground sign there. Hmm. And wouldn't you know it, that is where the Marylebone exit for Bond St Station is. Wow. Happily, everyone seemed to find it in due course - apart from several who cancelled because of travel delays, a knock-on effect from the strike..

So, off down Marylebone Lane we trotted. And to St. Christopher's Place, where we were informed that St. Christopher is a saint no longer! Hmm, I don't think that'll wash with the likes of my mother..


Religion was, interestingly, to feature heavily on this walk; we saw some lovely churches:


..of which the highlight must have been the Catholic St. James', built for the Spanish community in the 19th Century! We went in, naturally - churches like this are irresistible, particularly if you like to take photos..



And so around some quiet streets that would be eye-wateringly expensive to buy in, and we came across a hoarding of some famous people associated with the area:


And so to our last church of the day, Marylebone Parish Church, so high Anglican that some were sure it must be Catholic! but there you go.



And thence to lunch, in the Sir John Balcombe. Where, from a pretty comprehensive menu, I chose gammon - maybe a little tough and salty for my taste, but the accompaniments were excellent.. I'd maybe choose something else next time. The wine was perfect, though.


Conversation buzzed, as usual - and after, we headed in search of a café, ending up at La Gauloise. Where some of us had cake, a couple hot chocolates, and tea/coffee. As soon as I saw the massive chocolate cake in the window, I was sorted, of course - and it was fine. If perhaps - as tends to happen when cakes are left for a while in window displays - a little stale.. Never mind, it's a nice little place, with friendly staff.

By the time we left, the weather had turned unpleasant - cold and damp. And I got a bus back.. which felt like, and was, quite a long journey. And absolutely crammed - is this normal for a Friday, or had nobody told them the strike is over? I was glad to escape!

Tomorrow, back with the group and guide again for the Heavenly Heights of Hampstead Walking Tour. Heavens, I shall be fit after the Hampstead hills.. and I can get buses. Assuming I leave in time.

On Sunday, it's back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for Atalanta, as recounted by Ben Haggarty, at the British Museum. Assuming their pipes are fixed. Well, he is the man for Greek mythology..

On Monday, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for a new version of Wuthering Heights, at the National. Well, this was my favourite book for a long time - let's see what they've done to it!

On Tuesday, I'm at Anarchy at the Opera, at Hoxton Hall. Courtesy of TAC. Where we're going to hear some lesser known works..

On Wednesday and Thursday, back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG). Wednesday, it's a concert at the Southbank Centre, where Sheku Kanneh-Mason plays Shostakovich. Apart from numerous other accolades, he achieved worldwide renown after playing at the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. (And nuts if CT didn't just advertise tickets for this..!)

On Thursday, we're back to the Barbican for a concert of Haydn music by the Academy of Ancient Music.

Now, my new job - after some chasing - did finally send me the paperwork to complete. But as I still don't have it back to them, I figure they surely won't have me up and running by next Friday! so I've booked on another of Laurence's walks with the 45+s - Pubs, Poets & Prostitutes: a Tour of Southwark. Honestly, I think this is my favourite part of London - can't resist. And again, we'll finish fairly close to home for me - because that evening I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 14th, more classical music at the Barbican - this time it's with London Baroque Music Lovers, and this is Handel with Les Arts Florissants.

On the 15th, headed with UITCS to The Woods, at Southwark Playhouse. Aw man, it's over a year since I last saw a performance from there, and over two years since I was last there in person! And would you believe it, I bought a PAYG subscription from them years ago, and it still entitles me to free tickets. So I used it for this! With the group having snapped up most of the front row, I'm in the row behind..

On the 16th, I'm back with LCMTG - for a play this time! We're seeing Straight Line Crazy, with Ralph Fiennes, at the Bridge. Just as well we booked early - availability is low for that night.

The 17th is, of course, St. Patrick's Day. In Ireland, it's a bank holiday - here, Kíla is playing the London Irish Centre again. A standing gig, this time. Should be mad.

On the 18th, I'm back with London European Club, for 24 Italian Songs & Arias, at Battersea Arts Centre. They're operating a "Pay What You Can" scheme, where you pay what you want, between £5 and £35 - recommended price, £16. They even sent me a survey afterwards to see what I thought!

On the 19th, back with Laurence and the 45+s - this time, it's Highgate: A Very English Village.

On the 20th.. someone I swore I'd never do a walk with again. Well, we'll see whether she's back on form - Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts (WTTH) is off on a walk called Secrets of Belgravia. (Courtesy of her company, London Guided Walks.) The code MEETUP3 gets you a £3 discount on all her walks - which does cover the booking fee of £1, not advertised before you come to the point of purchasing the ticket. Well, it'll be a start if she shows up!

On the 21st, I'm at another Zoom talk - Quakers at War is the story of the Quakers and their pacifism. Courtesy of Surrey History Meetup.

On the 22nd.. I'm booked for Dear Evan Hansen, at the Noel Coward Theatre! Finally - I'd booked for this before lockdown, and of course it got cancelled. Cheapest tickets from the official site.

On the 23rd, back with Civilised London (CL) - back at Le Sacré Coeur, meeting beforehand at The Crown, as usual.

On the 24th, back with TAC for Avocado Presents - Improv, at Etcetera Theatre. Eh, I think it's a jazz concert? Anyway, then back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 28th, going to see Daddy at the Almeida. Having never seen a bad production here, I have high hopes.

On the 29th, finally going to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella! I hear good things.. it's playing at the Gillian Lynne Theatre, which is new to me - Seatplan was invaluable in choosing the best seating option. What's On Stage provided the cheapest price for that seat, though!

On the 30th, back with CL - for a play this time. This is The Fever Syndrome, at Hampstead Theatre.

On the 31st, back with TAC for One Night With Robbie Williams. This is at The Courtyard.

On the 1st, back with the CCC for - The Grand Annual Lying Contest! at Rich Mix.

On the 2nd, back with WTTH for a Regent's Canal Walk. Different guide.

On the 3rd, the CCC again! Emily Hennessey and Sheema Mukherjee are at the British Museum, with Holy Cow! Tales from the River of Life.

On the 4th of next month, I'm back at the Park Theatre for the first time in nearly three years! This is for Clybourne Park, a comedy about a white family moving into a predominantly black neighbourhood.

On the 5th of next month, I'm headed to But I'm a Cheerleader, a musical comedy at the Turbine Theatre.

On the 6th of next month, back with UITCS at Southwark Playhouse, and another free ticket for me! This time, it's for Anyone Can Whistle, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.

On the 7th of next month, Tommy Tiernan is playing at the Eventim Apollo! Now, I failed to get a ticket for this the first time around. Then it was rescheduled because of Covid.. and I got a ticket for the rescheduled event! Then that was rescheduled.. third time lucky?! Love Tommy Tiernan. The show is called Tomfoolery. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 11th of next month, I've booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I am really looking forward to this play..

On the 12th of next month, I'm finally going to Six, the Musical! Based around the story of the six wives of Henry VIII (very loosely, I'd say), it's playing at the Vaudeville and I hear good things. Cheapest tickets from Leicester Square Box Office.

And on the 13th of next month, back with CL, who are off to the opera at the Southbank Centre. The show in question is The Paradis Files.

No comments:

Post a Comment