Thursday 24 March 2022

Comedy: Avocado Presents - Improv

Tonight, back with TAC for Avocado Presents - Improv, at Etcetera Theatre. Had no actual idea what to expect, but as it wasn't starting till 9, I said I'd eat beforehand. Had thoughts about eating in the pub downstairs, the Oxford Arms, but the menu looked a bit fiddly - still, looking at the map revealed lots of eateries round about, so I said I'd decide when I got there.

Three different bus combinations I could take, from three different places - the tyranny of choice! Happily, it was a lot less crowded than yesterday, and it wasn't complicated to get there. Looking around, I came across Rossopomodoro - an Italian that looked the most promising option. So I decided to try it, and got a table without issue. Checking out the starters, the garlic bread came with tomato sauce, so I said I'd skip it - I might have tried the calamari, but thought £11 was a bit steep for it! So I went straight for the main - thought I'd try the chicken thighs with mushrooms and potatoes. Wine isn't the cheapest either, at a minimum of £10 for a 175ml glass. But of course, I ordered a glass.

I have to say, the chicken was delicious! and the potatoes were sautéed, and lovely - mind you, there were far too many, and far too many mushrooms. I had a basket of bread along with the main, and it has to have been the softest bread I've ever tasted. So, I was well fed. Now, I might well have had a dessert - but they never came near me! To be fair, this might have been because I was engrossed in my phone game, and they didn't want to disturb me. They didn't need the table, after all. I was keeping an eye on the time, and when it was time to leave, I asked for the bill, and had no trouble catching the maitre d's eye. And wow, I think that £45 was enough to be paying for one course! (albeit that £20 of that was on wine.) After all, the listed price was £16.95.. Included a 12.5% service charge, £2.95 for the bread, and a £1 "Cook for Ukraine" charge, which goes to refugee relief. The service charge isn't calculated on that, and I was happy to pay it. But this is still going on my list as one of the more expensive places to eat..

And so across the road, where I found the theatre entrance without difficulty, at the rear of the pub, and got my name ticked off, and a card that entitles me to £1.50 off shows there for the next year. The guy on the door told me that an announcement would be made in the bar when they were ready for us to go up - so out I went again, and had time to grab another glass of wine. Despite it taking forever to get served! Anyway, real Irish vibe to the place:


In due course, the announcement was made and the pub emptied. And so, up the narrow pub stairs, and into the small theatre - unreserved bench seating. Nobody went for the front row, and I positioned myself with others in the second. Just two chairs on stage, so we waited for developments. And waited - it was 10 past before anything happened. Whereupon an announcement explained that the show was completely improvised. And then two blokes appeared.

Ahah, it's comedy! See now, when I did a search to see what it might be about, so much came up about music that I got confused. Actually, this show had no music at all - just two guys, bouncing ideas off each other. Improvisationally. And when you get to see people do it properly, as they do here, it is a joy to watch! If you watch closely enough, you can see how they take cues from each other - and if one makes a blunder, the other is on it like a whippet. They covered about four stories over the course of the next 50 minutes, switching roles, improvising wildly - to hilarious effect. Really, this was another winner! Seems their next show is in Baron's Court, they were saying, on the 21st.. Highly recommended.

Afterwards, the internet on my phone completely gave up, leaving me at a loss as to how to get home. So, I managed to retrace my steps to where I'd got off, then not seeing a bus stop on the other side to go the opposite way, consulted the bus stop directions to see where I should head. And as I was making my way there, lo, I happened on a bus stop with an LED indicator that, as I passed, advertised the 214 to Moorgate. Um - that's walking distance from home! And it was imminent. So, I lucked out there - not until halfway through the trip did the internet start working on my phone, though!

Well, the background screening for my new job is finally complete - and the one thing they couldn't verify was my last job! (Oh, for the love of..) Their story is that they tried several times and got no response - yet nobody that would have been sensible to contact had any word from them! So, with no definite word on that yet, I won't be starting tomorrow, and have booked with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners, who are off to see Elegant London! Booked fast track in the airport, just in case.

Anyway, then back to Ireland for the weekend again, and on Saturday, I've booked to go see The Batman at the Omniplex. It's free to book, and handier when you get there. And gee, I've heard great things about this! A very dark take on the story, it seems - has Andy Serkis as Alfred, and Peter Sarsgaard as the DA.

On Monday, going to see Daddy at the Almeida. Having never seen a bad production here, I have high hopes.

On Tuesday, finally going to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella! I hear good things.. it's playing at the Gillian Lynne Theatre, which is new to me - Seatplan was invaluable in choosing the best seating option. What's On Stage provided the cheapest price for that seat, though!

On Wednesday, back with Civilised London (CL) - for a play this time. This is The Fever Syndrome, at Hampstead Theatre.

Next Thursday, back with TAC for One Night With Robbie Williams. This is at The Courtyard.

On the 1st, back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for - The Grand Annual Lying Contest! at Rich Mix.

On the 2nd, I had booked with Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts for a Regent's Canal Walk. But yay, Laurence and the 45+s then advertised another walk for that day, which is pretty much guaranteed to be superior. So I've booked it. This is Scandals, Scriptwriters & Sumptuous Architecture - and of course, it being a London weekend, I can go!

That evening, an ex-colleague of mine is having a leaving do - he's emigrating. Happening at The Woodman, in Highgate. I said I'd put in an appearance.

On the 3rd, the CCC again! Emily Hennessey and Sheema Mukherjee are at the British Museum, with Holy Cow! Tales from the River of Life. Unfortunately, the London Landmarks Half Marathon is also that day, so I'll probably be on the Tube, at least getting to the museum. 

On the 4th, I'm back at the Park Theatre for the first time in nearly three years! This is for Clybourne Park, a comedy about a white family moving into a predominantly black neighbourhood.

On the 5th, I'm headed to But I'm a Cheerleader, a musical comedy at the Turbine Theatre.

On the 6th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at Southwark Playhouse, and another free ticket for me! This time, it's for Anyone Can Whistle, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.

On the 7th, Tommy Tiernan is playing at the Hammersmith Apollo! Now, I failed to get a ticket for this the first time around. Then it was rescheduled because of Covid.. and I got a ticket for the rescheduled event! Then that was rescheduled.. third time lucky?! Love Tommy Tiernan. The show is called Tomfoolery. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 11th, I've booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I am really looking forward to this play..

On the 12th, I'm finally going to Six, the Musical! Based around the story of the six wives of Henry VIII (very loosely, I'd say), it's playing at the Vaudeville and I hear good things. Cheapest tickets from Leicester Square Box Office.

On the 13th, back with CL, who are off to the opera at the Southbank Centre. The show in question is The Paradis Files. Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Easter - but left it so late to book, I could only get an afternoon flight, and will have to start my new job (whenever) by asking for that day off work!

Well, my friend got back to me - they're away in the middle of Easter week, back on the 21st, so the most sensible thing to do seemed to be to visit on the 22nd, which I've now arranged with her. Whether I take that week as holiday, or take the laptop there and work from Ireland, remains to be seen. Anyway, I'll fly back to London on the 24th. And on the 25th of next month, I'm off to The Corn is Green, at the National.

No comments:

Post a Comment