Monday 14 March 2022

Concert: Handel with Les Arts Florissants

Made it back to London..

Tonight, more classical music at the Barbican - this time it was with London Baroque Music Lovers, and this was Handel with Les Arts Florissants. Barbican, ergo Cote - I booked, just in case, and because it's free, but I really didn't need to, on a Monday.

Really smiley waiter - I always wonder whether he remembers me, or just has that sunny a disposition! Anyway, I was back on the prix fixe, with mushroom soup and steak frites, and a large chardonnay. Except that the waiter suggested that I upgrade the steak to a ribeye! Hmm.. I hadn't had one in ages. OK then, I said.

The soup was gorgeous as ever, the bread slightly less rock-hard than last time. The rib-eye, which I'd asked to be cooked to medium, was slightly overcooked - I'd call it medium-well, and it was just more cooked than I like. I wasn't mad about it. I will say this - the upgrade if you're having the prix fixe is great value; I checked the bill after, and I was only charged £2.95 extra for the rib-eye (which comes with watercress), rather than the £7 more it costs than the steak frites on the a la carte! So, if you're hungry.. me, I prefer the steak frites, and I'll go back to that next time. For dessert, I was tired of the mousse - they have an option of three chocolate truffles, which they suggest you have with a drink. So I did, and they were just perfect.

I headed over to the Barbican in enough time to meet the others - in fact, I was early, and took a seat within sight of where we were to meet. Not easy, I must say - it was pretty packed and there isn't a lot of seating in the foyer. I was there for half an hour before it was time to go in - our organiser had said she'd wear a piece of green cloth, or have a piece on her bag. Nope, predictably, I didn't see her. I asked one lady who was wearing a green scarf - it wasn't her. Dunno whether they were no-shows, or perhaps in the wrong place, but it's very vexing when Meetup groups behave like this.

The Stalls and Circle were quite full - I don't think the Balcony was open. Anyway, the programme was Handel, set to the poetry of John Milton, which was displayed on the screen behind, and sung by a group of solo singers. Absolutely sublime - I do love baroque music! But it was when the choir was unleashed in the second half that I thought it really took off. Mind you, the low point of the night was the resurgence of this unpredictable cough that I've developed - which, of course, attacked me with some force just as the concert started. Mercifully, I'd had the forethought to bring Strepsils, and one of those cured it fairly quickly. Ah well, 'tis the season..

At the interval, I posted a message on the Meetup page explaining that I hadn't been able to find them, and what I was wearing. No response. After the performance ended, I hung around outside for a while, but still didn't see anyone likely to be them. A group of four women did make an appearance at the edge of the crowd - and sure enough, it was four other women that I was looking for. Still, they didn't bear much resemblance to the pictures on the Meetup page. I tried the upstairs bar, where the organiser had suggested going afterwards - nobody that looked likely to be them. The Mysterious Four did come in as I was leaving, but again, they didn't look like the people I was looking for, and they showed no recognition of me. I gave up and came home. Might join this group again sometime, might have better luck.

Tomorrow, headed with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) to The Woods, at Southwark Playhouse. Aw man, it's over a year since I last saw a performance from there, and over two years since I was last there in person! And would you believe it, I bought a PAYG subscription from them years ago, and it still entitles me to free tickets. So I used it for this! With the group having snapped up most of the front row, I'm in the row behind.. And there'll be several people there that I know.

On Wednesday, booked again with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners.. well, you couldn't make up the trouble I'm having with the new job, so I'm guessing I still won't have started by then! Latest is, they've been trying to verify my qualifications with the university - the university, however, needs a consent form signed by me before they'll divulge the information. Now, I did sign a consent form - electronically. They don't accept electronic signatures. With no ink in my printer - I haven't used it in years - the quickest thing to do is head to an internet cafe tomorrow to print the page I have to sign! Jeez, just as well I have savings.. This walk is Glamorous Chelsea and its Famous Residents.

That evening, I'm back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - for a play this time! We're seeing Straight Line Crazy, with Ralph Fiennes, at the Bridge. Just as well we booked early - availability is low for the rest of the month.

Thursday is, of course, St. Patrick's Day. In Ireland, it's a bank holiday - in London, Kíla is playing the London Irish Centre again. A standing gig, this time. Should be mad.

On Friday, I'm back with London European Club, for 24 Italian Songs & Arias, at Battersea Arts Centre. They're operating a "Pay What You Can" scheme, where you pay what you want, between £5 and £35 - recommended price, £16. They even sent me a survey afterwards to see what I thought!

On Saturday, back with Laurence and the 45+s - this time, it's Highgate: A Very English Village. More hills..

On Sunday.. someone I swore I'd never do a walk with again. Well, we'll see whether she's back on form - Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts (WTTH) is off on a walk called Secrets of Belgravia. (Courtesy of her company, London Guided Walks.) The code MEETUP3 gets you a £3 discount on all her walks - which does cover the booking fee of £1, not advertised before you come to the point of purchasing the ticket. Well, it'll be a start if she shows up! Funnily enough, she messaged me today - because I signed up on the Meetup group - to remind me to book a ticket through her company. I see she doesn't cross-reference, since I already did!

Next Monday, I'm at another Zoom talk - Quakers at War is the story of the Quakers and their pacifism. Courtesy of Surrey History Meetup.

On the 22nd.. I'm booked for Dear Evan Hansen, at the Noel Coward Theatre! Finally - I'd booked for this before lockdown, and of course it got cancelled. Cheapest tickets from the official site.

On the 23rd, back with Civilised London (CL) - back at Le Sacré Coeur, meeting beforehand at The Crown, as usual.

On the 24th, back with TAC for Avocado Presents - Improv, at Etcetera Theatre. Eh, I think it's a jazz concert? Anyway, then back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 28th, going to see Daddy at the Almeida. Having never seen a bad production here, I have high hopes.

On the 29th, finally going to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella! I hear good things.. it's playing at the Gillian Lynne Theatre, which is new to me - Seatplan was invaluable in choosing the best seating option. What's On Stage provided the cheapest price for that seat, though!

On the 30th, back with CL - for a play this time. This is The Fever Syndrome, at Hampstead Theatre.

On the 31st, back with TAC for One Night With Robbie Williams. This is at The Courtyard.

On the 1st, back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for - The Grand Annual Lying Contest! at Rich Mix.

On the 2nd, back with WTTH for a Regent's Canal Walk. Different guide.

On the 3rd, the CCC again! Emily Hennessey and Sheema Mukherjee are at the British Museum, with Holy Cow! Tales from the River of Life.

On the 4th, I'm back at the Park Theatre for the first time in nearly three years! This is for Clybourne Park, a comedy about a white family moving into a predominantly black neighbourhood.

On the 5th, I'm headed to But I'm a Cheerleader, a musical comedy at the Turbine Theatre.

On the 6th, back with UITCS at Southwark Playhouse, and another free ticket for me! This time, it's for Anyone Can Whistle, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.

On the 7th, Tommy Tiernan is playing at the Eventim Apollo! Now, I failed to get a ticket for this the first time around. Then it was rescheduled because of Covid.. and I got a ticket for the rescheduled event! Then that was rescheduled.. third time lucky?! Love Tommy Tiernan. The show is called Tomfoolery. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 11th, I've booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I am really looking forward to this play..

On the 12th, I'm finally going to Six, the Musical! Based around the story of the six wives of Henry VIII (very loosely, I'd say), it's playing at the Vaudeville and I hear good things. Cheapest tickets from Leicester Square Box Office.

And on the 13th, back with CL, who are off to the opera at the Southbank Centre. The show in question is The Paradis Files. Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Easter - but left it so late to book, I could only get an afternoon flight, and will have to start my new job by asking for that day off work! Still waiting to hear whether my friend will be around after Easter, for me to pay a flying visit..

No comments:

Post a Comment