Monday 28 March 2022

Play: Daddy

Tonight, booked to see Daddy at the Almeida. Having never seen a bad production here, I had high hopes. Decided to check out the theatre cafe beforehand for something to eat. Was intrigued when I downloaded my ticket, mind - the first photo was of Andrew Scott! Got excited for a minute, thinking - is he in this, and I missed it? Sadly, no - the caption explains that these are photos of past productions at this theatre, and this one was of him in Hamlet. Now, that brings back memories.. arguably the best production of anything that I've ever seen!

My, it's over two years since I was here in person, imagine.. And this was the first time I arrived before a show and could get a table! I see space hasn't increased in the meantime. I ordered the pasta with smoked salmon and cream, and the wine that someone was kind enough to introduce me to once, but whose name I can never remember. They gave me a number, I took a table. The food took about 15 minutes to arrive - they never did recoup the number! And.. I have to say, it was rather tasteless. Perhaps it was the ratio of cream to fish - there was hardly any salmon - but I hardly tasted a thing. Ah well, being pasta, it filled me up nicely. And the portion wasn't too large. The last table, BTW, was taken 50 minutes before the show was due to start. Just as an FYI.

I got another glass of wine - in plastic - to take in with me. Unfortunately, I was in the Circle - but then, with warnings that those in the front two rows might get splashed with water, perhaps it was as well! As we went in, she was checking our tickets - and handing us stickers to put over our phone cameras! I kid you not. Just in case we should be tempted. As I replied, I was intrigued..


My seat was to the side - it was fine, although I was glad to have the seat beside me free to swing my legs into, and I was glad not to be closer to the stage - I had to lean a couple of times to see what was going on, but the guy right at the end must have had some difficulty!


When the curtains parted, we could see why the audience at the front were in danger of being splashed - the setting is a villa, complete with a pool in front. And at one stage or another, all the characters end up in there. Clothed or not (hence the camera covers).

The story concerns a promising young artist, who acquires a sugar daddy - this is his villa, and he's moved the young man in. The artist's friends move in at his invitation, and the whole first half is an OTT riot of fun, as they enjoy the wealth, and wallow in shallowness. Just wait until mom shows up in the second half, wanting to know why her artist son never calls any more! and bringing everyone down to earth with a harsh dose of reality..

God bless the Almeida, yet again they haven't disappointed! This is marvellous, featuring a Gospel choir who pop up all the time, the pool (which looks great from upstairs), a feast of male nudity.. and some suitably swish outfits on the ladies! A feast for the eyes, hilarious in the first half, profound in the second. Yep, the Almeida's productions are always worth a look. Runs until the end of next month - limited availability for the rest of the week, and on the 5th, and sold out on Thursday. Run, get a ticket! Highly recommended.

Tomorrow, finally going to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella! I hear good things.. it's playing at the Gillian Lynne Theatre, which is new to me - Seatplan was invaluable in choosing the best seating option. What's On Stage provided the cheapest price for that seat, though!

On Wednesday, back with Civilised London (CL) - for a play this time. This is The Fever Syndrome, at Hampstead Theatre.

On Thursday, back with TAC for One Night With Robbie Williams. This is at The Courtyard.

On Friday, my job still being up in the air, I've provisionally - again - booked with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners for a daytime walk. This is Tinker, Tailor, Soldier & a Hatful of Spies - and comes highly recommended from previous attendees! In fact, I got the last spot (at the time, anyway). Do hope I can make it.

That evening, back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for - The Grand Annual Lying Contest! at Rich Mix.

On Saturday, I had booked with Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts for a Regent's Canal Walk. But yay, Laurence and the 45+s then advertised another walk for that day, which is pretty much guaranteed to be superior. So I've booked it. This is Scandals, Scriptwriters & Sumptuous Architecture - and of course, it being a London weekend, I can go!

That evening, an ex-colleague of mine is having a leaving do - he's emigrating. Happening at The Woodman, in Highgate. I said I'd put in an appearance.

On Sunday, the CCC again! Emily Hennessey and Sheema Mukherjee are at the British Museum, with Holy Cow! Tales from the River of Life. Unfortunately, the London Landmarks Half Marathon is also that day, so I'll probably be on the Tube, at least getting to the museum. 

Next Monday, I'm back at the Park Theatre for the first time in nearly three years! This is for Clybourne Park, a comedy about a white family moving into a predominantly black neighbourhood.

On the 5th, I'm headed to But I'm a Cheerleader, a musical comedy at the Turbine Theatre.

On the 6th, back with Up in the Cheap Seats at Southwark Playhouse, and another free ticket for me! This time, it's for Anyone Can Whistle, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.

On the 7th, Tommy Tiernan is playing at the Hammersmith Apollo! Now, I failed to get a ticket for this the first time around. Then it was rescheduled because of Covid.. and I got a ticket for the rescheduled event! Then that was rescheduled.. third time lucky?! Love Tommy Tiernan. The show is called Tomfoolery. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 11th, I've booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I am really looking forward to this play..

On the 12th, I'm finally going to Six, the Musical! Based around the story of the six wives of Henry VIII (very loosely, I'd say), it's playing at the Vaudeville and I hear good things. Cheapest tickets from Leicester Square Box Office.

On the 13th, back with CL, who are off to the opera at the Southbank Centre. The show in question is The Paradis Files. Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Easter - but left it so late to book, I could only get an afternoon flight, and will have to start my new job (whenever) by asking for that day off work!

Well, my friend got back to me - they're away in the middle of Easter week, back on the 21st, so the most sensible thing to do seemed to be to visit on the 22nd, which I've now arranged with her. Whether I take that week as holiday, or take the laptop there and work from Ireland, remains to be seen. Anyway, I'll fly back to London on the 24th. And on the 25th, I'm off to The Corn is Green, at the National.

No comments:

Post a Comment