Tuesday 15 March 2022

Play: The Woods

And so the saga of providing information for my new job continues! In the futile search today for a place to print (as someone won't accept an electronic signature), I finally gave up - have asked someone still working at my old company whether she wouldn't mind printing off that page for me, and I can meet her and get it from her so I can sign it. Hopefully tomorrow. Anyway, meantime I was tired and hungry, and came across an Italian - Giovanni's - in my travels, which I thought would do fine.

I was quickly shown to a table - handily located right beside a talkative table of work colleagues, whose conversation was entertaining enough to keep me occupied. The lady took my wine order.. but I was waiting for quite a while for her to come back to take my food order - I guess I hit the lunchtime rush - and meantime, I had noticed a QR code on the table, whereby I could order on my phone. In fact, I wasn't quite sure that that wasn't what I was actually supposed to do, and whether she would ever come back to me at all! Well, she did - by which stage I'd just ordered. To be delivered to Table 26. Cue some confusion, as they located my order, then the owner (I guess) announced that if I wanted to order on the app, I'd have to put the drink on the app as well. Eh, ok then.. so she was just slow in coming, they do take the order at the table!

It took quite a while to arrive - no wonder, as the starter arrived with the main course! I had ordered garlic bread - I wouldn't again here, it was focaccia, and came out as crisp as a poppadum. But the chicken in mushroom sauce.. mm-hmm! Delish, and worth a return trip, no mistake! Served with fries. For dessert, I decided to have the lemon sorbet for a change - which was served in a hollowed-out half lemon! And was extremely lemony. I was bade farewell in Italian - would definitely come back here again! (and order and pay IRL.).

So, I didn't really need to eat this evening. I headed with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) to The Woods, at Southwark Playhouse. Aw man, it's over a year since I last saw a performance from there, and over two years since I was last there in person! And would you believe it, I bought a PAYG subscription from them years ago, and it still entitles me to free tickets. So I used it for this! With the group having snapped up most of the front row, I was in the row behind.. And there'd be several people there that I know.

Headed out in decent time - there were a few buses I could take, but when the #35 came, it was so packed I couldn't get on! Happily, there was a #133 right behind that would do just as well. When I got to the theatre, we were made to "check in" - which consisted of the people at the box office telling me my seat number. Eh, ok. The others were already mostly in situ - I joined one at the bar getting a drink, where the bartender thought we were on the same bill. Kindly, he offered to pay for mine. And the group chatted until it was time to go in. Quite a few faces I hadn't seen in a while - but then, I don't go with this group so much any more.


Well, as someone said, in the front row they were just in the middle of the action - not always a good thing. This is 90 minutes straight through, and is the story of a young couple spending a romantic time in his family's cabin, up in the wilds somewhere. It's a chance to get away, a chance to get to know each other properly away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Except, beware of what you find out, you might not like it. And indeed, the group was pretty universal in its dislike of this. Me, I thought it was decently written - and indeed, pretty true to life! in a depressing sort of a way. What an unpleasant couple. She started out, I thought, annoyingly chattery, and perhaps reading too much into the relationship, while he was typically taciturn, his mood changing unexpectedly. So yeah (spoiler), in essence, she read something more into his taking her up there than he intended, and it all went sour pretty fast. Predictably. An accurate description of many relationships - just not a pleasant watch. Won't be going on anyone's list of favourites. And probably, the violence was unnecessary. Also includes flashing lights - there's a big thunderstorm. Runs until the 26th.

Afterwards, it was a real shame that nobody seemed to want to stay on for a bit - this is the best theatre for a drink that I know of, and I have very fond memories. But hey, if the will isn't there..

Tomorrow, booked again with Laurence Summers and the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners.. well, I still won't have started the new job by then! Jeez, just as well I have savings.. This walk is Glamorous Chelsea and its Famous Residents. Got cash out on my way home today - I am getting organised!

That evening, I'm back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - for a play this time! We're seeing Straight Line Crazy, with Ralph Fiennes, at the Bridge. Just as well we booked early - availability is low for most of the rest of the month.

Thursday is, of course, St. Patrick's Day. In Ireland, it's a bank holiday - in London, Kíla is playing the London Irish Centre again. A standing gig, this time. Should be mad. But you know, when SFF advertised tickets for Lord of the Dance, at the Hammersmith Apollo the same night.. I booked. Well, such is life. Anyway, I should have paused a moment-  because I checked afterwards, and TAC has tickets as well. Bah humbug, would've been even cheaper. Never mind.

On Friday, I'm back with London European Club, for 24 Italian Songs & Arias, at Battersea Arts Centre. They're operating a "Pay What You Can" scheme, where you pay what you want, between £5 and £35 - recommended price, £16. They even sent me a survey afterwards to see what I thought!

On Saturday, back with Laurence and the 45+s - this time, it's Highgate: A Very English Village. More hills..

On Sunday.. someone I swore I'd never do a walk with again. Well, we'll see whether she's back on form - Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts (WTTH) is off on a walk called Secrets of Belgravia. (Courtesy of her company, London Guided Walks.) The code MEETUP3 gets you a £3 discount on all her walks - which does cover the booking fee of £1, not advertised before you come to the point of purchasing the ticket. Well, it'll be a start if she shows up! Funnily enough, she messaged me yesterday - because I signed up on the Meetup group - to remind me to book a ticket through her company. I see she doesn't cross-reference, since I already did!

On Monday, I'm at another Zoom talk - Quakers at War is the story of the Quakers and their pacifism. Courtesy of Surrey History Meetup.

Next Tuesday.. I'm booked for Dear Evan Hansen, at the Noel Coward Theatre! Finally - I'd booked for this before lockdown, and of course it got cancelled. Cheapest tickets from the official site.

On the 23rd, back with Civilised London (CL) - back at Le Sacré Coeur, meeting beforehand at The Crown, as usual.

On the 24th, back with TAC for Avocado Presents - Improv, at Etcetera Theatre. Eh, I think it's a jazz concert? Anyway, then back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 28th, going to see Daddy at the Almeida. Having never seen a bad production here, I have high hopes.

On the 29th, finally going to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella! I hear good things.. it's playing at the Gillian Lynne Theatre, which is new to me - Seatplan was invaluable in choosing the best seating option. What's On Stage provided the cheapest price for that seat, though!

On the 30th, back with CL - for a play this time. This is The Fever Syndrome, at Hampstead Theatre.

On the 31st, back with TAC for One Night With Robbie Williams. This is at The Courtyard.

On the 1st, back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for - The Grand Annual Lying Contest! at Rich Mix.

On the 2nd, back with WTTH for a Regent's Canal Walk. Different guide.

On the 3rd, the CCC again! Emily Hennessey and Sheema Mukherjee are at the British Museum, with Holy Cow! Tales from the River of Life. Unfortunately, the London Landmarks Half Marathon is also that day, so I'll probably be on the Tube, at least getting to the museum. 

On the 4th, I'm back at the Park Theatre for the first time in nearly three years! This is for Clybourne Park, a comedy about a white family moving into a predominantly black neighbourhood.

On the 5th, I'm headed to But I'm a Cheerleader, a musical comedy at the Turbine Theatre.

On the 6th, back with UITCS at Southwark Playhouse, and another free ticket for me! This time, it's for Anyone Can Whistle, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.

On the 7th, Tommy Tiernan is playing at the Hammersmith Apollo! Now, I failed to get a ticket for this the first time around. Then it was rescheduled because of Covid.. and I got a ticket for the rescheduled event! Then that was rescheduled.. third time lucky?! Love Tommy Tiernan. The show is called Tomfoolery. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 11th, I've booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I am really looking forward to this play..

On the 12th, I'm finally going to Six, the Musical! Based around the story of the six wives of Henry VIII (very loosely, I'd say), it's playing at the Vaudeville and I hear good things. Cheapest tickets from Leicester Square Box Office.

And on the 13th, back with CL, who are off to the opera at the Southbank Centre. The show in question is The Paradis Files. Next day, I'm back to Ireland for Easter - but left it so late to book, I could only get an afternoon flight, and will have to start my new job by asking for that day off work! Still waiting to hear whether my friend will be around after Easter, for me to pay a flying visit..

No comments:

Post a Comment