Tuesday 1 February 2022

Free Tuesday Sing-a-long for Health and Pleasure

Well, today being Chinese New Year, I decided it'd be nice to eat Chinese. But I wanted to stay local - I didn't know of any Chinese restaurants around this part of town, so consulted Google Maps. Got a couple of suggestions from them, and off I went. Into a biting gale! Bah. The first I went to - also the furthest away - was shuttered! When I went closer, I could see a sign - "Temporarily closed for Covid". Well now, with restrictions lifted, I suspect that means it's closed for good. The second I went to.. eh, the entire block had been demolished! Google Maps was most surprised to hear this. That's London for you, always changing. Anyway, with the wind buffeting me this way and that, I gave up on Chinese - but still wanted a restaurant. I did go into All Bar One as I passed - but for heavens' sake, you had to order from the app, which I had to download.. they didn't have WiFi, so I was depending on Irish mobile data.. and the app isn't available in Ireland! So I had to leave again.

I eventually came across The Ivy City Garden, which I can actually see from my building - it's just around the back. Ooh-er, haunt of the rich and famous - and still known for cheap food. Feck it - I checked the website. Reservations required, so I booked for 10 minutes from then, and tried to figure out which back alley to go down. Turns out - not that I figured this out until I was on the way home - the fastest way from Bishopsgate is to go through the churchyard - it's just a bit further along!


As you'd expect, service was unfailingly friendly. Apart, perhaps, from one rather snooty lady who, unfortunately, did most of the service on my table, and always seemed to be looking down her nose at me. All the others were lovely. Now, the food might be reasonably priced, but beware, they make up their prices on other things - like wine. Mind you, that sauvignon blanc was excellent - best I've had in ages. Worth the wait to get it.

She popped up to take my food order, and startled me so much that I forgot I'd intended to order the soup. Never mind, I ordered one of the specials - osso bucco shepherd's pie; unfortunately, they were out of it, so I had the "classic". Which was lovely, if just a tad too salty - smallish portion though, if you were hungry I'd recommend a side. And I ordered another wine - from two separate people, and ended up with two glasses (eventually). When they realised their mistake, by 'eck, they let me have the extra glass for free! Well, that was more like it..

Meantime, I was having terrific fun listening in on the conversation at the next table. Obviously a first date, they had all sorts of "getting-to-know-you" type questions for each other, and he had a very carrying voice. So I learned a lot about South Africa, where he's from.. It was kind of like an episode from a soap opera, him telling her how he had to travel a lot for business, but he was going to cut down on that, and how he dumped his last girlfriend when she admitted she'd been cheating on him during his trips abroad.. oh, fascinating stuff. I do wonder how it progressed - did he invite her back to his place in Mayfair? Or on his next business trip, to Dubai? The mind boggles..

Meantime. the highlight of my meal had to be the dessert - I am so glad I had the chocolate bombe, it's a revelation! She served it with a little boat of salted caramel sauce, which she insisted on pouring the entire contents of (from a great height) onto the dessert. Let her - it's fabulous! The hot sauce melts the chocolate shell in the middle, and coats the ice cream on the outside - and it is absolutely delectable. One of the best desserts I've ever had - I'll be back, just for that! So glad to have gone here at last! Oh, and there's a curious little building outside - the Victorian Bath House is available for hire.. 

Tonight, I plumped for something I've seen advertised a lot, but never before attended - again on Zoom, this time it was a Free Tuesday Sing-a-long for Health and Pleasure, courtesy of Global Music Fusion & Arts.  As advertised by Free Stuff and Free Events - which was the first thing I'd done with them. Happens weekly, lasts an hour - the words are on-screen. And what's more, after the initial introductions - everyone is muted! because of the Zoom lag. So you can yell along tunelessly to your heart's content. Most enjoyable.

Tomorrow, my first Meetup of the year with Civilised London! And as usual, it's dinner - yum! (My third day in a row to eat out!) We're off again to Little Georgia, meeting beforehand at The Crown.

On Thursday, heading with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - and I was lucky to see it, what with Meetup not even suggesting the event when I was looking for something that day! If it hadn't been for some mention over the last couple of events with them, of some event happening this week.. Anyway, we're off to see the LSO at the Barbican - wildcard tickets sadly sold out by the time I booked.

On Friday, headed with the London European Club to the Puppet Theatre Barge, for a performance of The Red Balloon!

On Saturday, back with the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners, and Laurence Summers - got the last spot on his Passage through Pimlico walk! which, as he was telling me last Tuesday, is through a not very well-known part of town! Well, this one should at least be warmer, being in daytime.. and we're getting lunch after.

On Sunday - Crick Crack is back! Now, this is an interesting one - Japanese ghost stories, the event is called The Game of Candles, with each story represented by a lit candle, which is blown out when the story is completed. Taking place at the British MuseumTim Ralphs and Sarah-Liisa Wilkinson performing. Sold out now - they're only doing half capacity.

And on Monday - another interesting talk by The Garden Talks! This one is What Conditions Create Witch Hunts? Have to say, Meetup seems to have awoken from the doldrums..!

No comments:

Post a Comment