Thursday 17 February 2022

Storytelling: The Thief's Tale & Future Imperfect

So, I meandered back to the office today - for the second-last time - and wouldn't you know it, it coincided with leaving drinks for someone else whose last day was today! He's retiring though, rather than quitting. Anyway, the venue was the Butcher's Hook & Cleaver - where they still do an excellent house white, and it was a terrific chance to catch up with people I hadn't seen in an age! The toilets were a bit off though, what with non-working flush and a peculiar whine from the taps! but it was a good night. Good luck to those staying in the company - it's an awful one to work for.


I had to leave after a bit - but then, we'd come down early - because I was back with Crick Crack! This was a double bill - The Thief's Tale and Future Imperfect, at Rich MixDaniel Morden one of the performers. And a couple of others from the London European Club were supposed to be coming, which was cool! I could do with some face to face contact with friendly faces, hadn't had any since I came back to London this time. Unfortunately, the Crick Crack show that was cancelled a while back was also livestreaming tonight from Oxford! which just couldn't be helped.

Well, it seemed that one of those folk didn't come, in the end - the other kept me a seat, and it was good to have a chat. Ben Haggarty hosted, explaining how the show in the British Museum was cancelled owing to problems internal to the museum - and Daniel Morden played an understated blinder with his tale of the thief with the checkered past. Truly, he has a way about him - there's an intensity to his storytelling that belies his modest demeanour. I love hearing him.

At the interval, I went in search of the toilet again - at least these didn't have plumbing problems, but boy did they whiff! Unfortunately, the bar had no snacks of any kind, but the nice lady sat in front of us did donate the end of her bag of popcorn. Which was very nice. The second half of the show saw a newcomer - it was Lucy Lill's very first time! Not that you'd have known it from her excellent rendition of the story of Cassandra - beautifully told, with a nice dash of humour. Aw man, it's so good to be back with Crick Crack again!

Tomorrow, back with Civilised London for a play called The Ballad of Maria Marten, based on a real-life murder mystery, at Wilton's. Now, I'm rather tired of craning my neck here, so I went for a slightly more expensive seat, with a more direct view - albeit still in the balcony.

And on Saturday, I was headed off with 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners again, for Laurence SummersElementary Sherlock Walking Tour. But wouldn't you know it, he just cancelled it! Personal reasons. Well, it's been rescheduled, but I think the new date is one of my weekends in Ireland. Never mind, it's giving me the chance to meet up with an ex-colleague again - we're meeting for an early dinner (his suggestion) in Frankie & Benny's (my suggestion - I haven't been there in years). I invited Ivan, but that job of his is wrecking him - he says he needs to sleep for a month. Anyway, I can catch my other ex-colleague up on all the interviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment