Thursday 24 February 2022

Concert: London Symphony Orchestra

Today saw an absolutely bitter wind - Arctic, in fact. My mother told me she had snow. Here, it was cold enough for it - but dry, after the morning passed. When I headed to Delice de France, the rain had passed over - but that wind was vicious. Even when he was serving me my steak slice, the napkins kept blowing off.. great ventilation they have in Liverpool Street. As if in compensation, that steak slice was absolutely molten! I swear, my eyes kept running as I was attempting to eat it, from the sheer pain of taking something so hot into my mouth.. Wooh. Well, a definite antidote to the weather.

This evening, London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG) just lately advertised an LSO concert at the Barbican - so I booked. CT apparently had cheap tickets for this, but I missed the offer - never mind. So naturally, when I came to thinking about dinner, the most convenient place was Cote Barbican! After the trouble I had yesterday, getting a restaurant, I booked - for safety. And when I arrived, was shown the Prix Fixe menu - which included wild mushroom soup. Ah well now.. so I had that, with steak frites to follow, because it's quick and the concert was early.

You'll never guess - the soup was molten as well. Really, I do think it was in response to the weather. But it was lovely - and I wolfed down the steak. And the frites. Sadly, didn't really have time for dessert. Trotted over to the Barbican and met the others, and we didn't really have long before we went in.


So, first up - as per the photo - was Metamorphosen, by Strauss. A sombre piece - which I found appropriate, on a day when someone I know has had her country attacked. I'd just been reading about that, in fact.

..Followed by La Voix Humaine. The story of what seems like a quite hysterical woman, on the phone to her ex-lover, and filmed from different angles, displayed on screen at the back, with subtitles, this I did fid compelling to watch. Perhaps not for the entire duration. She both sings and conducts the piece - it's quite a feat. Musically, we agreed, not our bag - but.. interesting. The closeups of her mouth on screen, of course, reminded me of nothing so much as Not I. But then, I'm a massive Beckett fan..

Afterwards, we repaired - back to Cote! Where the others had a late dinner, and I had a very late dessert! Good times, good company as always.

Tomorrow, Laurence Summers persuaded me to come on his Old Jewish Neighbourhood Walking Tour - with the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners, as it happens. Now, it starts in the morning - and ends with lunch - so that should be ok for my flight! Hell, it's all around my area. And my new job hasn't started yet, so.. Got cash out on the way home this evening, as he requires it. I just hope it warms up a bit..

Tomorrow evening, back to Ireland for the weekend - and with more legal stuff pending, doesn't look like I can squeeze in a film. If I do, what's coming up is (ahem) Dog, where Channing Tatum - a soldier - bonds with a dog he's taking to another soldier's funeral. We'll see.

On Monday, back with LCMTG for a concert at Wigmore Hall.

On Tuesday, Interesting Talks London is discussing - via Zoom - IEMT and Psoriasis - How Moving Your Eyes Helps a Skin Condition! Hmm..

On Wednesday, back with Civilised London for a Turkish meal, at Liman - meeting beforehand at The Crown, as usual.

And next Thursday, I was supposed to be back with Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex, for what promises to be a very interesting talk: Dark Days Virtual Show - The Dark Days of Edgar Allen Poe. Love Edgar Allen Poe, myself. But it was rescheduled the other day, and I can't make the new date. Have requested a refund. So, looking for something else to do, I came across Over 40 Living the Life. Who are off to the Vauxhall Comedy Club. Two interesting things about this. Firstly, the group is charging twice what the venue is advertising - so fine, I won't go with the group. Secondly, the venue is adding a 50p booking fee to what they're advertising. So, you know, seems a bit rich to advertise an "early bird" charge, then add a booking fee. But whatever. I'm going. On my own. (Oh, it does include a free drink.) Tickets from Design My Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment