Wednesday 16 February 2022

Talk: London by Night - An Illuminating Virtual Tour

Tonight, I was back with Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex, for London By Night - an Illuminating Virtual Tour. Online, promised to be nice. My mother has been regaling me with cautionary tales of multiple storms - well, they seem to have arrived here this evening too! I was out earlier for a bite to eat, and the whole place is filled with an eerie whistling that I can only attribute to wind, finding its way between the skyscrapers. Lucky they provide us with some protection! although even my building shook at one point. So, I was rather glad not to be headed away from home, this once.

I logged on a few minutes early, to a personal welcome from the host - couldn't reply, as such, because he'd muted everyone! although we could comment, if we wanted. I didn't notice any input to the Q+A section, though. Now, this is the dapper gent who does history talks - and wouldn't you know it, that was what this was too! So, not a guided tour of illuminations - rather a tour through the history of London streetlighting. Apologies, I didn't really find anything to take a screenshot of.

Although he had some interesting tales of how people used to leave a lamp burning in a certain position, so they could identify their own house when headed through the dark streets at night. Or the boys that you could pay to show you the way - hoping they weren't associated with a band of cut-throats, and would lead you down a dark alley to your doom!

1411, it was, when streetlights were first ordered in London, it seems - one at each junction, and at regular intervals along the streets between. And this to combat the wave of crime that had ravaged the city. I was also intrigued by the description of the problems associated with the tallow candles used by the poor, who couldn't afford wax ones - these were made from animal fat, which of course smelled awful. But it never occurred to me that they might also attract vermin, with depictions of rats eating the candles! Yikes..

Unfortunately, I was less interested when he started talking about this or that businessman who was the first to develop this or that idea to do with street lighting. And honestly, he has a very soporific voice.. I fell asleep. Well, it's been a long day, with another interview, and preparation for yet another. Was quite surprised when I heard him announce that the talk was over! Hey ho.

Tomorrow, back with Crick Crack! which should hopefully happen this time. This is a double bill - The Thief's Tale and Future Imperfect, at Rich MixDaniel Morden one of the performers. And there are a couple of others from the London European Club coming, which is cool! I could do with some face to face contact with friendly faces, haven't had any since I came back to London this time. Unfortunately, the Crick Crack show that was cancelled a while back is livestreaming the same night from Oxford! which just can't be helped.

On Friday, back with Civilised London for a play called The Ballad of Maria Marten, based on a real-life murder mystery, at Wilton's. Now, I'm rather tired of craning my neck here, so I went for a slightly more expensive seat, with a more direct view - albeit still in the balcony.

And on Saturday, I was headed off with 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners again, for Laurence SummersElementary Sherlock Walking Tour. But wouldn't you know it, he just cancelled it! Personal reasons. Well, it's been rescheduled, but I think the new date is one of my weekends in Ireland. Never mind, it's giving me the chance to meet up with an ex-colleague again - we're meeting for an early dinner (his suggestion) in Frankie & Benny's (my suggestion - I haven't been there in years). I invited Ivan, but that job of his is wrecking him - he says he needs to sleep for a month. Anyway, I can catch my other ex-colleague up on all the interviews!

No comments:

Post a Comment