Friday 18 February 2022

Play: The Ballad of Maria Marten

Ooh wow. Last day at that hell I called work, today. Following an interview with one other company - which didn't work out - I went with the offer I got last night. So. That. Is. That. Hallelujah. I'd have gone for a celebratory meal, but didn't have time - it'll keep.

Tonight, I was back with Civilised London for a play called The Ballad of Maria Marten, based on a real-life murder mystery, at Wilton's. Now, I'm rather tired of craning my neck here, so I went for a slightly more expensive seat, with a more direct view - albeit still in the balcony. Brought my stuff home from the hell-hole that was my office, so went from home - and I could have walked, but with the howling wind, I didn't fancy it - give the trouble I'd had walking in it all day - and opted for the bus. Mercifully, didn't have to wait long in the freezing cold. Sadly, a couple of people in the group couldn't make it - there were a lot of transport cancellations.


Man, was I glad I went for the slightly more expensive seat - that railing isn't really an obstacle, you can look under it if you need to. Mind you, plenty of people shifted seat at the interval. Anyway, set in Suffolk in the early 19th century, this is performed in authentic costume, and in a rather thick rural accent. I didn't catch every word.

But my God, this is good! So atmospheric, so strongly played. We get a real sense of the characters, the environment.. it's not a musical, but music is played: modern, but fits the story well. Clever use of minimal props. And - of course - it turns into a feminist chorus at the end, as the abusive boyfriend is (spoiler) finally found guilty of murder. Best thing I've seen in a while - really engaging, in a way a lot of plays aren't. Highly recommended, it finishes tomorrow. Really, run to see it! I am so glad I did.

Afterwards, we repaired to our favourite local hostelry, The White Swan. Which was blissfully under-patronised, still with the excellent house white, and whose jukebox obliged me by playing Blinded by the Light - not once, but twice! Oh, bliss.. and so start a few days of sheer hedonism, as I wait for my new job to start..

Tomorrow, I was headed off with 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners again, for Laurence SummersElementary Sherlock Walking Tour. But wouldn't you know it, he recently cancelled it! Personal reasons. Well, it's been rescheduled, but I think the new date is one of my weekends in Ireland. Never mind, it's giving me the chance to meet up with an ex-colleague again - we're meeting for an early dinner (his suggestion) in Frankie & Benny's (my suggestion - I haven't been there in years). I invited Ivan, but that job of his is wrecking him - he says he needs to sleep for a month. Anyway, I can catch my other ex-colleague up on all the news!

No comments:

Post a Comment