Wednesday 9 February 2022

Talk: Why Did WW1 Inspire So Many Utopian Experiments?

Well, first off, let me say that today's interview went great, and I now have an assignment to complete.. it's looking good. Watch this space.

Tonight, back with The Garden Talks - this time, the talk was on Why Did WW1 Inspire So Many Utopian Experiments? As the organiser pointed out, not only wars, but also pandemics seem to inspire that kind of thinking, about what makes a better world - so, quite topical at the moment!

I have a ton of work to do - job-hunting does get in the way. So I decided to follow the talk on my work laptop and keep working. Opened the link early - then wondered why it hadn't started yet, five minutes in. Now, the last one also started late -but not this late! I was unable to refresh the page, or get anything on the site to work on the laptop - eventually settled for streaming it on my phone. Bah humbug. So I missed the first few minutes. Ah well.

The speaker had a very affected accent, which I found quite distracting for a while. But once you got over that - this was a very interesting talk. I never knew about all the experimental ideas that different groups had after the First World War - I suppose it's quite natural that society was shocked into searching for improvement, but the scale was colossal! For example, she includes the development of Esperanto in this series of idealistic plans - now, that's something I never considered. Apparently, it was proposed to the League of Nations that Esperanto be recognised as an official language, so that people could all speak the same language. And so on. Fascinating stuff.

Tomorrow, leaving drinks at my job - for me! Better to have them on a Thursday, when there are free drinks in the office. To start us off. Then we're off to The Pelt Trader - where they also do pizza. My ex-boss booked it (I shudder to think how little effort my current boss would have expended on it) - she had to book in person, she had no luck over the phone or by email, and you can't book online! As my mother is wont to say, you'd think they don't want the business! Then back to Ireland for the weekend - and unfortunately, I can't get to the cinema while I'm there this time - I have to run an errand for my mother.

On Monday (Valentine's Day) - wouldn't you know it, the West End has gone all romantic! with a one-night-only performance of West End Musical Love Songs! Well now, that seems like a good way to spend the evening. Showing in the Lyric, cheapest from the venue. Mind you, considering that the very cheapest are right behind pillars - and remembering the horrendous experience I had in one of those seats before - I went up a price bracket, and am in the rear stalls. With a pillar "in my sightline", but not squeezing into my legroom. Which should be fine.

On Tuesday, I'm at The Glow, in the Royal Court - nice, spooky sounding play about someone with a gift for the supernatural! As usual, not a place you can really get discounted tickets for - but slips tickets tend to be great value, as long as you're not too close to the stage and having to crane your neck.

Next Wednesday, I'm back with Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex, for London By Night - an Illuminating Virtual Tour. Online, should be nice.

On the 17th, back with Crick Crack! which should hopefully happen this time. This is a double bill - The Thief's Tale and Future Imperfect, at Rich MixDaniel Morden one of the performers. And there are a couple of others from the London European Club coming, which is cool! Unfortunately, the Crick Crack show that was cancelled on Sunday is livestreaming the same night from Oxford! which just can't be helped.

On the 18th, back with Civilised London for a play called The Ballad of Maria Marten, based on a real-life murder mystery, at Wilton's. Now, I'm rather tired of craning my neck here, so I went for a slightly more expensive seat, with a more direct view - albeit still in the balcony.

And on the 19th, I'm headed off with 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners again, for Laurence SummersElementary Sherlock Walking Tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment