Sunday 27 February 2022

Old Jewish Neighbourhood Walking Tour & Films: Red Joan & Dog

Last FridayLaurence Summers persuaded me to come on his Old Jewish Neighbourhood Walking Tour - with the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners, as it happens. Now, it started in the morning - and ended with lunch - so I thought that should be ok for my flight! Hell, it was all around my area. And my new job hasn't started yet, so.. Got cash out on the way home the evening before, as he requires it. I just hoped it'd warm up a bit..

And so it did, dawning bright and sunny, and nice and warm in the sunshine. Oh, if only I could find my sunglasses..! Anyway, I grabbed a bite to eat in Liverpool Street and walked from there to Aldgate Station, where we were to meet. The most direct route took me down through Devonshire Square - the first place of many that day, where I'd never been before!


And so to Aldgate, where it wasn't long before a group of us congregated. Quite a large cohort, into which Laurence slipped without fuss and started checking off names. I was glad when we finally left - as I remarked to someone, I can walk, but I cannot stand.. my back starts to kill me after not too long.

Now, there's plenty to say about the neighbourhood - but of course, this walk had a Jewish theme, and we focussed on places associated with the Jewish community. Sadly, synagogues aren't always so easy to photograph. Churches tend to be more prominent:


And as we wended our way through narrow alleyways, some of the views were spectacular, looking upwards. A lot of this area was bombed in wartime, of course, and rebuilt. And with land at a premium, they tend to build vertically:



Also interesting things to see, closer to the ground:


Back to business, and a former soup kitchen:


..in an area of atmospheric old buildings:



And finally, a synagogue I could get a decent photo of.. in a lovely, narrow street:


But of course, there was more to the walk than architecture, and we learned a lot about the history of Jews in Europe, in England, and specifically in this area. Many people on the walk had a particular interest in the topic - me, I'm just a history buff in general, and I was delighted to come across a whole subject I knew little about, but now can say I know considerably more! If Laurence ever chose to write a book on the subject, I'd be interested, for one..

And so, back to Liverpool Street, where we ended the walk and some of us headed for lunch:


The Lord Aberconway was the destination, where we had booked the complete upper level - which, seating about 20 or so, was the perfect size! Why, as I remarked, if conversation palled, we were even overlooking the tv! (Not that there was a lack of conversation, of course.) Or, in the other direction, they had a live departures board for the station. Very handy - although I didn't need to catch a train for hours yet.

Ordering could be done by phone, or at the bar. Most people had toasties - mine was ham and cheese. I was jealous of those who had the fish finger sandwiches though! I wasn't crazy about my ham and cheese - the ham was a bit too thick for purpose, as was the bread, and I didn't finish it. When I ordered, I'd been given a choice of "chips or fries".. turned out, when I checked the menu afterwards, the chips are triple-cooked, and the fries are skin-on. Anyway, my chips were very good.

As was the conversation! When we finished up there, many of us repaired to another pub - at Laurence's suggestion, we headed to The Red Lion, just north of Finsbury Circus. Where again, we sat upstairs, providing company for the two people actually eating up there. And we spent a lovely hour. As the song says, "Of all the money that e're I had, I spent it in good company.." Truly, a lovely bunch of people, a great tour guide, and an excellent way to spend a day. Very glad I did that. I can't make all the upcoming walks, but will be keeping an eye out for more..

That evening, back to Ireland for the weekend, and the evening was spent watching telly with my mother. The late film turned out to be Red Joan - which I hadn't seen! Loosely based on the story of Melita Norwood, who passed British atomic secrets to the Soviets in the 1940s and 1950s, and was outed as a spy when elderly - in this film, she's played as an old woman by Dame Judi Dench. Tom Hughes plays her Communist lover, back in the day, who inspired her towards the actions she took. Hmm yes, I don't blame her.. Anyway, not terribly highly rated, which is why I never saw it in the cinema, but this is actually really watchable! despite the rather depressing interior decor of the time. By the time it was over, it was too late to blog, since I had to be up early-ish.

On Saturday, I had another legal meeting. I actually didn't have much to do, perhaps five minutes' worth - but the man was chatty, and honestly I thought I'd never get out of there! When I eventually did, I already had a film planned - which was (ahem) Dog, where Channing Tatum - a soldier - bonds with a dog he's taking to another soldier's funeral. (He also co-directs.) The Omniplex is cheaper, so I was delighted to be able to book for the earlier showing there.

And to be honest, it's better than I'd expected a film of his to be. The military jingoism is kept to a minimum - while the film acknowledges his military background, and actually has something to say about the way war veterans are treated in the States, it does show his softer side, and has something to say also about the problems with the army's gung-ho attitude. And then, there's that gorgeous dog.. a big dog, one of those complicated, exotic-sounding breeds that none of us have heard of, she looks quite like an Alsatian. And they have great fun along the way, as she goes from unmanageable to cute.. well gee, all she needed was someone to listen to her! One for dog lovers, this. Or Channing Tatum lovers. Works either way. Anyway, I enjoyed it. And that night, I was too tired to blog.

Spent most of today planning ahead - hang onto your hats, my schedule is getting back to its normal, crammed self. Now back in London, and tomorrow, back with London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG) for a concert at Wigmore Hall. Happily, there are a few people coming that I know and it'll be great to see them, as always.

On Tuesday, Interesting Talks London is discussing - via Zoom - IEMT and Psoriasis - How Moving Your Eyes Helps a Skin Condition! Hmm..

On Wednesday, wouldn't you know it, Helen is unexpectedly in town for a conference. But that evening, I'm back with Civilised London (CL) for a Turkish meal, at Liman - meeting beforehand at The Crown, as usual. And this group doesn't take +1s! Nuts. So I've agreed to head over to Earl's Court to meet her briefly before tearing across town for my other event. Whoever said my life wasn't complicated..

On Thursday, I was supposed to be back with Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex, for what promises to be a very interesting talk: Dark Days Virtual Show - The Dark Days of Edgar Allen Poe. Love Edgar Allen Poe, myself. But it was then rescheduled, and I can't make the new date. Have requested a refund. So, looking for something else to do, I came across Over 40 Living the Life. Who are off to the Vauxhall Comedy Club. Two interesting things about this. Firstly, the group is charging twice what the venue is advertising - so fine, I won't go with the group. Secondly, the venue is adding a 50p booking fee to what they're advertising. So, you know, seems a bit rich to advertise an "early bird" charge, then add a booking fee. But whatever. I'm going. On my own. (Oh, it does include a free drink.) Tickets from Design My Night.

On Friday, Laurence and the 45+s have another walk - A Vibrant Village! Walking Tour of Marylebone. And as it's pretty unlikely that I'll have started my new job by then, I've said I'll go (provisionally). Lunch after as well, of course! and this time, I don't have a flight to catch.

On Saturday, back with them all again for the Heavenly Heights of Hampstead Walking Tour. Heavens, I shall be fit after the Hampstead hills..

Next Sunday, it's back with the Crick Crack Club (CCC) for Atalanta, as recounted by Ben Haggarty, at the British Museum. Assuming their pipes are fixed. Well, he is the man for Greek mythology..

On the seventh, I'm back with Up in the Cheap Seats (UITCS) for a new version of Wuthering Heights, at the National. Well, this was my favourite book for a long time - let's see what they've done to it!

On the eighth, I'm at Anarchy at the Opera, at Hoxton Hall. Courtesy of TAC. Where we're going to hear some lesser known works..

On the ninth and 10th, back with LCMTG, The ninth, it's a concert at the Southbank Centre, where Sheku Kanneh-Mason plays Shostakovich. Apart from numerous other accolades, he achieved worldwide renown after playing at the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

On the 10th, we're back to the Barbican for a concert of Haydn music by the Academy of Ancient Music. Then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 14th, more classical music at the Barbican - this time it's with London Baroque Music Lovers, and this is Handel with Les Arts Florissants.

On the 15th, headed with UITCS to The Woods, at Southwark Playhouse. Aw man, it's over a year since I last saw a performance from there, and over two years since I was last there in person! And would you believe it, I bought a PAYG subscription from them years ago, and it still entitles me to free tickets. So I used it for this! With the group having snapped up most of the front row, I'm in the row behind..

On the 16th, I'm back with LCMTG - for a play this time! We're seeing Straight Line Crazy, with Ralph Fiennes, at the Bridge. Just as well we booked early - availability is low for that night.

The 17th is, of course, St. Patrick's Day. In Ireland, it's a bank holiday - here, Kíla is playing the London Irish Centre again. A standing gig, this time. Should be mad.

On the 18th, I'm back with London European Club, for 24 Italian Songs & Arias, at Battersea Arts Centre. They're operating a "Pay What You Can" scheme, where you pay what you want, between £5 and £35 - recommended price, £16. They even sent me a survey afterwards to see what I thought!

On the 19th, back with Laurence and the 45+s - this time, it's Highgate: A Very English Village.

On the 20th.. someone I swore I'd never do a walk with again. Well, we'll see whether she's back on form - Walks, Talks & Treasure Hunts (WTTH) is off on a walk called Secrets of Belgravia. (Courtesy of her company, London Guided Walks.) The code MEETUP3 gets you a £3 discount on all her walks - which does cover the booking fee of £1, not advertised before you come to the point of purchasing the ticket. Well, it'll be a start if she shows up!

On the 21st, I'm at another Zoom talk - Quakers at War is the story of the Quakers and their pacifism. Courtesy of Surrey History Meetup.

On the 22nd.. I'm booked for Dear Evan Hansen, at the Noel Coward Theatre! Finally - I'd booked for this before lockdown, and of course it got cancelled. Cheapest tickets from the official site.

On the 23rd, back with CL - back at Le Sacré Coeur, meeting beforehand at The Crown, as usual.

On the 24th, back with TAC for Avocado Presents - Improv, at Etcetera Theatre. Eh, I think it's a jazz concert? Anyway, then back to Ireland for the weekend again.

On the 28th of next month, going to see Daddy at the Almeida. Having never seen a bad production here, I have high hopes.

On the 29th of next month, finally going to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella! I hear good things.. it's playing at the Gillian Lynne Theatre, which is new to me - Seatplan was invaluable in choosing the best seating option. What's On Stage provided the cheapest price for that seat, though!

On the 30th of next month, back with CL - for a play this time. This is The Fever Syndrome, at Hampstead Theatre.

On the 31st of next month, back with TAC for One Night With Robbie Williams. This is at The Courtyard.

On the 1st of April, back with the CCC for - The Grand Annual Lying Contest! at Rich Mix.

On the 2nd of April, back with WTTH for a Regent's Canal Walk. Different guide.

On the 3rd of April, the CCC again! Emily Hennessey and Sheema Mukherjee are at the British Museum, with Holy Cow! Tales from the River of Life.

On the 4th of April, I'm back at the Park Theatre for the first time in nearly three years! This is for Clybourne Park, a comedy about a white family moving into a predominantly black neighbourhood.

On the 5th of April, I'm headed to But I'm a Cheerleader, a musical comedy at the Turbine Theatre.

On the 6th of April, back with UITCS at Southwark Playhouse, and another free ticket for me! This time, it's for Anyone Can Whistle, with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.

On the 7th of April, Tommy Tiernan is playing at the Eventim Apollo! Now, I failed to get a ticket for this the first time around. Then it was rescheduled because of Covid.. and I got a ticket for the rescheduled event! Then that was rescheduled.. third time lucky?! Love Tommy Tiernan. The show is called Tomfoolery. And then it's back to Ireland for the weekend again.

And on the 11th of April, I've booked for The 47th, at The Old Vic. Written by Mike Bartlett, this imagines the American presidential elections of 2024. I am really looking forward to this play..

No comments:

Post a Comment