Tuesday 8 February 2022

Film: Flee

Well, had a really lovely chat today with a recruiter who came across my profile, and the company looks really promising - I already have an interview scheduled for tomorrow. Wish me luck! Anyway, I decided to celebrate that much with a meal out - and headed, again, for Cote. On my way in, passed an enticing ad for their beef cheek bourgignon - well, I thought, why not, and had that. With bread and butter to start - £3.50 is a bit much, considering I only ate half the bread, but it was nice, and I was hungry. And the bourgignon - was as delectable as the ad! Melt in the mouth, with a rich sauce - highly recommended - although the mash was a bit bland, but fine when mixed with the rest. And I didn't even need to pour any of the sauce from the little jug that accompanied it - there was already enough on the plate! Service came with a broad smile, as usual. I really do like eating here - and it was pleasantly roasting, after the cold breeze outside.

This evening - film beckoned. And that blasted film list still isn't coming through properly until the Sunday of any given week, two days AFTER the films change - anyway, when it finally did, I was able to confirm that (apart from a couple of Indian films that I just couldn't spark an interest in) top of the list were two documentaries. The one I was more interested in was Flee, the animated story of an Afghan refugee, reminiscing on his story years later, on the verge of getting married. Looked really good - the closest showing to me was in Hackney Picturehouse.

Turned out I had enough Tesco vouchers for a £6 Picturehouse voucher (for this offer, they multiply the value of your Tesco voucher by 3), so I bought that before I left! Headed off in good time, and had the usual confusion with the doors - you enter via the one marked "kitchen". Presented my voucher at the till - just because you have a voucher doesn't mean you have to prebook, and not booking saves the reservation fee. And the confusion over how to use the voucher online - I'm still not sure it worked, last time. Also bought a glass of wine - which I took the precaution of having served in plastic, so I could take it in. Handily, they have cafe-style tables where you can sit. Even handier, they have a lift - considering this screen is on the third floor, that was much appreciated!

Lovely, comfy cinema seats too - that recline. And I had space on either side, for my stuff. A handful of people in the audience. Not too many ads, and off we went. The film is mostly animated - there is live-action news footage, where relevant to the events of the story: because this is the true story of a little boy who had to flee Afghanistan with his family, who ended up scattered all over Europe. And it's really poignant - you do lose a little of the human element with the animation, but it's very sensitively done. And the stories of the different family members are horrendous - some of which I remember from the news, and all of which are so representative of refugees to this day. Refugees packed into containers for days on end, refugees crammed onto leaky, dangerous boats.. trudging for miles through the snow, dealing with violent thugs.. this family went through hell. It's no wonder the poor man was left traumatised. Sadly, a story of our time.

Note.. in this cinema, you can only leave by the end door. V complicated door policy, if you ask me!

Tomorrow, back with The Garden Talks - this time, the talk is on Why Did WW1 Inspire So Many Utopian Experiments? As the organiser points out, not only wars, but also pandemics seem to inspire that kind of thinking, about what makes a better world - so, quite topical at the moment!

On Thursday, leaving drinks at my job - for me! I only wish I had another sorted - fingers crossed. Better to have them on a Thursday, when there are free drinks in the office. To start us off. Then back to Ireland for the weekend - and unfortunately, I can't get to the cinema while I'm there this time - I have to run an errand for my mother.

On Monday (Valentine's Day) - wouldn't you know it, the West End has gone all romantic! with a one-night-only performance of West End Musical Love Songs! Well now, that seems like a good way to spend the evening. Showing in the Lyric, cheapest from the venue. Mind you, considering that the very cheapest are right behind pillars - and remembering the horrendous experience I had in one of those seats before - I went up a price bracket, and am in the rear stalls. With a pillar "in my sightline", but not squeezing into my legroom. Which should be fine.

Next Tuesday, I'm at The Glow, in the Royal Court - nice, spooky sounding play about someone with a gift for the supernatural! As usual, not a place you can really get discounted tickets for - but slips tickets tend to be great value, as long as you're not too close to the stage and having to crane your neck.

On the 16th, I'm back with Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex, for London By Night - an Illuminating Virtual Tour. Online, should be nice.

On the 17th, back with Crick Crack! which should hopefully happen this time. This is a double bill - The Thief's Tale and Future Imperfect, at Rich MixDaniel Morden one of the performers. And there are a couple of others from the London European Club coming, which is cool! Unfortunately, the Crick Crack show that was cancelled on Sunday is livestreaming the same night from Oxford! which just can't be helped.

On the 18th, back with Civilised London for a play called The Ballad of Maria Marten, based on a real-life murder mystery, at Wilton's. Now, I'm rather tired of craning my neck here, so I went for a slightly more expensive seat, with a more direct view - albeit still in the balcony.

And on the 19th, I'm headed off with 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners again, for Laurence SummersElementary Sherlock Walking Tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment