Monday 13 December 2021

Film: C'mon C'mon

Today, it was looking like film, and what was coming up was - as before, when I changed my mind - C'mon C'mon, where Joaquin Phoenix plays a middle-aged dj who never settled down, but suddenly finds himself in charge of his small nephew. Looked decent, closest showing now in Hackney Picturehouse. I do have a Picturehouse voucher from Tesco, but it doesn't seem to be working..

So, after another day at the battlefield that is work (and how I hate having to fight my way through every day), I set off, a tiny bit too late. So many buses stop at this stop that, although mine was only four minutes away, it was something like the sixth to arrive! Then the traffic was a nightmare - still, I halved Google Maps' estimate of my walking time to the cinema, from where I got off! You can get tickets at the bar - I considered a glass of wine while I was at it, but decided against it. Had to ask directions to Screen 4, though - where I took my seat (kind of woolly upholstery, pullman) while the ads were still playing. Win!

This is shot in arty black and white - and to be honest, the beginning seemed way too introspective for me, and I found myself looking at my watch and wondering how much of it I could stomach. There's a lot of chat between him and his sister about their late mother, and the sister's bipolar husband. But to be fair, as the film progressed, and he became closer to his nephew, it became more engaging. And I have to admit that the acting was super - really natural, with great chemistry between uncle and nephew. So, I ended up liking it. Cool..

Tomorrow, film again. And vying with this one for top spot was Spielberg's remake of West Side Story! So I'm planning to go see that - showing in the Barbican, my closest cinema, and I can walk there. Nice, feelgood choice.

On Wednesday - Civilised London is off for an Italian meal: Terra Rossa is the venue, and we're meeting beforehand in The Crown. And I was really lucky to get a place - he limits attendees to five, for an intimate gathering, and I only got a place today, after someone dropped out! Well now, I do hope I'll be up to it - I'm getting my booster jab earlier in the day.. but it'll be the same as my first two, and I only got a sore arm on those occasions. And I'll have the day off, so can rest in the afternoon!

Thursday is the birthday of someone I used to know from Kensington Classical Music Society. Well, she also works for Talent Unlimited, who promote young classical musicians, and there's a concert that day, at St. James' Church Sussex Gardens (tickets through Eventbrite). She got in touch to see whether I'd be interested, so I said I'd go - we're meeting afterwards in the Royal Lancaster Hotel. Then on Friday (assuming my test is negative, they're making us test again), I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Probably a quiet one - theatres are still closed there, and the only things worth making the trip to the cinema for are on in the evening! when I have to watch telly with my mother.

Next Monday, my last Meetup of the year.. same group as my last before the major lockdown, which I hope isn't an omen! Mind you, they were called "This and That", then. And practically my first group when I eventually came back! Anyway, Invigorate are off to Dennis Severs' House Museum, which should be lovely, all bedecked for Christmas. I got the last ticket for that time slot! Complete with post-event social, of course.

Now, we had a great old time on Friday - so we're doing it again on the 21st! Well, some of it.. Ivan and I are meeting up with our old colleague at The Spice of Life, which used to be an office haunt when we were with that company.

And on the 22nd, my last social event before Christmas - meeting my ex-boss from my first company in London for our annual hot chocolate and booze. Starting in Caffe Nero, we might well end up in The Hippodrome, as we did before. And why not - we're both on holiday next day, and (again, test permitting) I'm back to Ireland for Christmas that afternoon.. (highly expensive) Aer Lingus again, for the sake of the later flight. Flying back to London on the 3rd. Unless.. I'm not. So I'm taking my laptop to Ireland for Christmas. Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment