Monday 20 December 2021

Dennis Severs' House Museum

So, flew back to London last night.. severe delays due to weather, was just like the old days. At least I made the last train back to London! And after another depleted night's sleep, had another early morning meeting - when I was supposed to make a presentation, but the company Big Kahuna who calls these meetings forgot to make time for me. Fine. It wasn't necessarily deliberate, although it might have been. And then I had a day jam-packed with work. Because they're too cheap to hire another writer. And so it was that, with my venue less than 10 minutes' walk away, I was still rushing! But hey, I wasn't realistically going to be late..

Tonight, my last Meetup of the year.. same group as my last before the major lockdown, which I hope isn't an omen! Mind you, they were called "This and That", then. And practically my first group when I eventually came back! Anyway, Invigorate were off to Dennis Severs' House Museum, which promised to be lovely, all bedecked for Christmas. I got the last ticket for that time slot! Complete with post-event social, of course - finally organised for The Grocer. All walking distance from me. Only problem was, with all the panic about Covid, every time he posted a message, I panicked, thinking it was cancelled!



No sign! I was following Google Maps, and wouldn't have been sure of the location, except that there was a lady outside, checking our QR codes. About four of us were booked for 6.45, so she took us in first - warning us (a) to stay quiet, with phones off or muted, (b) that photography was not allowed (nuts!), and (c) that we were to carry our bags in front of us, not swinging at our sides. Hmm. She also warned us to be careful on the stairs in particular, as the house was pretty much lit by candlelight.

And so, in we went. Apparently, they've reduced the numbers - just as well, with those cramped spaces! There are always guides to show you where to go next - silently. And what struck me about the whole place was how claustrophobic it was, cluttered with all the paraphernalia of the 1700s and 1800s. The kitchen in the basement reminded me of my late uncle's kitchen - the creaky, tight wooden stairs reminded me of his. Mind you, he didn't have all the accoutrements of this place.. I was just glad I survived the stairs.

One thing that did bother me somewhat was that there didn't seem to be a room that didn't have leftover food on a plate. Now, really. I assume it was fake - but it wasn't terribly pleasant to look at. Anyway, ignoring that, different rooms have different themes - one is very obviously given over to A Christmas Carol, for instance - there are bedrooms and drawing rooms, and audio effects make it sound as though someone is in the room next to you. Everyone's favourite was probably the room with the Christmas tree - although it did sport some very unsafe-looking candles! (unlit). One complaint that was generally held, mind, was how dark it was - as I say, there was only candlelight - which prevented much of the detail from being seen properly. Ah well. Definitely different. Although I must say, I was glad of the insistence on silence - it was loud enough, just with the creaking floorboards!

Afterwards, to The Grocer.


Which was practically empty, with the sloooooowest bar I think I've ever ordered at. Well, they were friendly. Excellent chips, I have to say. And good company - a lively debate about Covid kind of put paid to the evening, but what the hey, it was interesting. And good to see people - I have no more Meetups booked as of now, so.. watch this space.

Now, we had a great old time on the 10th - so we planed to do it again tomorrow! Well, some of it.. I was supposed to meet up with an old colleague at The Spice of Life, which used to be an office haunt when we were with that company. Ivan would have come - but unfortunately, like many of his team, he's now tested positive. So that is that, I'm afraid - and he misses going back to his family for Christmas. And now my other colleague has cried off - probably wisely. We'll do it again next year. Unless we don't. So me? I'm off to The Nutcracker, at The Coliseum. Ah well, 'tis tradition! and I got the very last seat in the balcony (back row, v handy if you can't handle the stairs).

And on Wednesday, my last social event before Christmas - meeting my ex-boss from my first company in London for our annual hot chocolate and booze. Starting in Caffe Nero, we might well end up in The Hippodrome, as we did before. And why not - we're both on holiday next day, and (test permitting) I'm back to Ireland for Christmas that afternoon.. (highly expensive) Aer Lingus again, for the sake of the later flight. But thank goodness it's not Stansted. Flying back to London on the 3rd. Unless.. I'm not. So I'm taking my laptop to Ireland for Christmas. Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment