Wednesday 15 December 2021

Terra Rossa Restaurant

Tonight - Civilised London was off for an Italian meal: Terra Rossa was the venue, and we met beforehand in The Crown. And I was really lucky to get a place - he limits attendees to five, for an intimate gathering, and I only got a place on Monday, after someone dropped out! Well, I hoped I'd be up to it - I got my booster jab earlier in the day.. but it was the same as my first two, and I only got a sore arm on those occasions. And I had the day off, so could rest in the afternoon!

I walked to the vaccination centre, at Guy's Hospital. Three vaccination centres, they have, and it was hard to find my way - although the signposting was decent. When I did get there, I found myself at the end of what turned out to be a 45-minute queue. Just as well the weather was decent. When we got near the top, a fellow appeared with a tablet, and registered us - when we got into the marquee, we spent 20 minutes more sitting in a chair, watching leaves blow around the roof, and waiting to be called. When I was, I ended up with the army.. who were rather surprised when I said I was already double-jabbed! So my details have been updated, and I got my booster. And apart from momentary soreness, that was just fine.

And so, after a short nap, to The Crown, who do a lovely house white. And we chatted merrily - before heading on a tour of the restaurants of Islington (there are quite a few) until we came to ours. Sat near the back, we were well served - and people declared themselves delighted with the starters. Me, I just had bread - I wasn't terribly hungry, and was conscious of filling myself up too much. Main course, we all had something different - me, I had the spaghetti with truffle.. and it was gorgeous, the pasta served with that delicious eggy sauce that I've only really had once before, in a little Italian place beside a previous office of ours. Both now closed, sadly. We were too full for dessert. But it has to be said, this is excellent food.

We had a horrendous delay before the main course - the staff were awfully apologetic, and of course, as we could see, this was due to the large group (of Italians) who'd just come in. The staff just weren't sufficiently resourced for the job (I know the feeling). Hey though, I loved the ice-cold limoncello they gave us to finish.. really nice place, would definitely come here again.

I didn't have time to finish the wine, and although our organiser got me a stopper, I had to dump it - I had nothing to carry it in, wouldn't have been allowed to take it on the bus. What the hey, the night ended with one in The King's Head. And it was good to see people - despite the moratorium on discussing it, we never know when lockdown will happen again..

Tomorrow is the birthday of someone I used to know from Kensington Classical Music Society. Well, she also works for Talent Unlimited, who promote young classical musicians, and there's a concert that day, at St. James' Church Sussex Gardens (tickets through Eventbrite). She got in touch to see whether I'd be interested, so I said I'd go - we're meeting afterwards in the Royal Lancaster Hotel. Then on Friday (assuming my test is negative, they're making us test again), I'm back to Ireland for the weekend. Probably a quiet one - theatres are still closed there, and the only things worth making the trip to the cinema for are on in the evening! when I have to watch telly with my mother.

On Monday, my last Meetup of the year.. same group as my last before the major lockdown, which I hope isn't an omen! Mind you, they were called "This and That", then. And practically my first group when I eventually came back! Anyway, Invigorate are off to Dennis Severs' House Museum, which should be lovely, all bedecked for Christmas. I got the last ticket for that time slot! Complete with post-event social, of course.

Now, we had a great old time on Friday - so we're doing it again on Tuesday! Well, some of it.. Ivan and I are meeting up with our old colleague at The Spice of Life, which used to be an office haunt when we were with that company. Except Ivan has been identified as a close contact of an infected person - watch this space.

And next Wednesday, my last social event before Christmas - meeting my ex-boss from my first company in London for our annual hot chocolate and booze. Starting in Caffe Nero, we might well end up in The Hippodrome, as we did before. And why not - we're both on holiday next day, and (again, test permitting) I'm back to Ireland for Christmas that afternoon.. (highly expensive) Aer Lingus again, for the sake of the later flight. Flying back to London on the 3rd. Unless.. I'm not. So I'm taking my laptop to Ireland for Christmas. Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment