Monday 27 December 2021

Film: Dracula (2006)

For yesterday, I was thinking of The King's Man. Set in the early years of the 20th century, this is the most stylish of spy dramas - a kind of early James Bond film - and I love the series. Stars Ralph Fiennes as the stylish spy, and Rhys Ifans as Rasputin. Should be great fun! The Omniplex, as usual, has the cheapest ticket prices.

..but my mother was speaking to someone who told her that Covid was rampant in Limerick. And by the time I'd argued with her over it, and she sighed "Oh, go if you want to," it was too late anyway, for the showing I'd wanted. I had kind of agreed not to go anywhere today either, so - with Tesco delivering tomorrow afternoon, and me having to be there to meet them - it's now looking like Wednesday. I live in hope. Well, it's not like there are that many I want to see, locally, anyway.

Meantime, tonight I finally found a film that I hadn't seen, and which sounded interesting! Yet another version of Dracula, this one dates from 2006 - and notably, focuses entirely on London. Well, perhaps not - I did miss the first 25 minutes, and there is something about the Count (Marc Warren, with black hair) making the ladies' acquaintance in Yorkshire. A totally unrecognisable David Suchet plays Van Helsing, who in this version is discovered in a dungeon.

Certainly, no mention of Transylvania - or travelling there - they deal with Dracula in London. Jonathan Harker is mentioned, and written off as "lost", poor chap. And Dr. Seward plays a much greater part than usual. Otherwise - well, it's all right. Marc Warren is decent, the rest of the film pretty forgettable. Lucy has some fun playing the sexually frustrated woman who becomes undead. Watchable, not worth going out of your way for.

Flying back to London on the 3rd. Unless.. I'm not. So I have my work laptop with me. Just in case. Already needed it to prove that I was telling the truth about notifications I'd sent, against someone else's contradictions..

No comments:

Post a Comment