Saturday 18 December 2021

Concert: Talent Unlimited

Thursday was the birthday of someone I used to know from Kensington Classical Music Society. Well, she also works for Talent Unlimited, who promote young classical musicians, and there was a concert that day, at St. James' Church Sussex Gardens (tickets through Eventbrite). She got in touch to see whether I'd be interested, so I said I'd go.

That far over meant I had to get the Tube - and despite getting an earlier one than Google Maps said I needed, I was still confused when I came out (never having been there before), and only just made the concert in time! Phew, so many roads to cross. Anyway, they took my name rather than needing to see the ticket, and there she was, just at the desk! where she kindly gifted me a pen with built-in sanitiser. We could sit wherever we liked, so I did. I figured, with the front seats mostly occupied, my best bet was to go to the side:



Excellence was expected - and delivered. And as well as Mozart & Haydn, we got a couple of modern pieces - whose composers were also present, as young beneficiaries of Talent Unlimited. We had got free programmes on the way in - unfortunately, I don't currently have mine to hand, and apologies but I can't remember the details! I will say this, though - I don't normally like modern "classical" compositions, but these were excellent - in particular the first, for piano. Apart from the unfortunately thin upholstery on my seat, I have to say, the concert was most enjoyable.

Afterwards, we headed to the Royal Lancaster Hotel, where she had organised a small reception:



Never been here before. Lots of marble, was my first impression. Now, I hear tell it's expensive - but I wouldn't know from experience, as we never had to put our hands in our pockets! She had pre-arranged everything - bottles of red and white wine, five different kinds of canapés - and as the culmination of the evening's activities, a chocolate birthday cake topped with a sparkler! and little bags of goodies for us all. Really, she's far too good - and it's amazing that we figured out it's been eight years since we met! It was a lovely evening, in good company - just a pity I had to duck out early to ring my mother, and of course my reception is always rubbish in West London, so just inside the front door was the best I could manage..

Sorry, it was too late to blog that night - and yesterday was seriously busy! My penny-pinching company consistently refuses to hire another writer, which means I'm severely overworked (don't worry, I do intend to find another job), and - by dint of refusing point blank to do what they considered urgent - I made the train with seconds to spare! Which was just as well, considering the hell I entered in Stansted. Truly the worst European airport I've ever been in. At least I managed to bypass the horrendous queue at the escalator - if you head towards the front of the train (on the right as you head in that direction), you come across the lift. Where not only was there no queue, but neither was there a ticket check - and the guy who beat me to it was kind enough to hold the lift for me. Saved myself at least 15 minutes there.

At the security gates, the congestion was so bad that the lady directed us all to the side - which might have done some good, but it's hard to be sure. Again, only seven of the 22 gates were open - why do they even have 22 gates, most of which are never used?!  I set off no alarms, neither did my bags, and it still took me 40 minutes to get through security. At least the gate change was to a closer gate.. Mind you, it was fun when we got there, what with the contradictory signs telling us which side to be on!


Anyway, I see the Christmas spirit has taken hold, back in Ireland..


By 'eck, I slept deeply last night. Now back in Ireland for the weekend.A quiet one - theatres are still closed here, and the only things worth making the trip to the cinema for are on in the evening! when I have to watch telly with my mother.

On Monday, my last Meetup of the year.. same group as my last before the major lockdown, which I hope isn't an omen! Mind you, they were called "This and That", then. And practically my first group when I eventually came back! Anyway, Invigorate are off to Dennis Severs' House Museum, which should be lovely, all bedecked for Christmas. I got the last ticket for that time slot! Complete with post-event social, of course - now organised for The Grocer. All walking distance from me. Only problem is, with all the panic about Covid, every time he posts a message, I panic, thinking it's cancelled!

Now, we had a great old time on the 10th - so we're doing it again on Tuesday! Well, some of it.. I'm meeting up with an old colleague at The Spice of Life, which used to be an office haunt when we were with that company. Ivan would have come - but unfortunately, like many of his team, he's now tested positive. So that is that, I'm afraid - and he misses going back to his family for Christmas.

And on Wednesday, my last social event before Christmas - meeting my ex-boss from my first company in London for our annual hot chocolate and booze. Starting in Caffe Nero, we might well end up in The Hippodrome, as we did before. And why not - we're both on holiday next day, and (test permitting) I'm back to Ireland for Christmas that afternoon.. (highly expensive) Aer Lingus again, for the sake of the later flight. But thank goodness it's not Stansted. Flying back to London on the 3rd. Unless.. I'm not. So I'm taking my laptop to Ireland for Christmas. Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment