Sunday 12 December 2021

Victorian Ghost Stories at Christmas

Tonight, I booked with Guided Walking Tours in Brighton & Sussex again, for Victorian Ghost Stories at Christmas (via Zoom). Rather nice to have a day at home, after all my shenanigans!

Well, it was advertised to have a couple more people doing voices, but in the end, they cried off due to illness, and it was just the main narrator. Whom, to be fair, I've heard before, and he's excellent! So, we heard a number of stories - starting with Marley's ghost from A Christmas Carol, the narrator also took us through some of the history of the stories and writers. We heard tell of zombies, werewolves and vampires - some of the stories were, necessarily, cut short. M. R. James made an appearance, and all stories were accompanied by appropriate illustrations.

But it was the fabulous short story of The Monkey's Paw that made me sit up - it's one of my favourites, and he told it beautifully. Worth attending just for that alone! A recording is being made available on request. Excellent storyteller, and I think I chose well with this.

Tomorrow, looking like film, and what's coming up is - as before, when I changed my mind - C'mon C'mon, where Joaquin Phoenix plays a middle-aged dj who never settled down, but suddenly finds himself in charge of his small nephew. Looks decent, closest showing now in Hackney Picturehouse. I do have a Picturehouse voucher from Tesco, but it doesn't seem to be working..

No comments:

Post a Comment