Tuesday 22 February 2022

Cruising Covent Garden Pub Walk

Today got off to a fine start with an absolutely molten steak slice from Delice de France. I swear, it really makes a difference what time you get there. They obviously aren't kept very hot after being cooked - you really need to get there when they're fresh. So, the earlier the better. Today's was, as I say, molten - hot enough to burn my mouth. Yum.

This evening, I finally got to see Laurence Summers again - 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners were off on a Cruising Covent Garden pub walk. Except I saw it first on their sister group, Carpe Diem, and booked with them. Mercifully, the wind died down!

I needed to get cash for this - he only takes cash. And wouldn't you know it, the ATM near me had a beggar literally sitting under it. Fine, I said, I'll get cash in the West End instead. Which worked out fine - isn't it great how Google Maps can just direct you to the nearest ATM? Anyway, I'd headed in early to get food - I didn't have a huge amount of time, so ended up in Pret, where they do lovely smoked salmon sandwiches. Also had apple juice, and their delectable "chocolate moose". Had an interesting time observing people taking selfies - there was a couple of guys, incessantly taking pictures of each other sitting in the window. And I swear, as I arrived, one of them was trying to persuade the driver of the courier van parked outside to move, because its reflection was messing up his photo.. I only wish I'd stayed to hear the response. I do know the van stayed where it was.

Another guy was taking selfies as I left - dunno what it is about Pret. Anyway, I had little else to do but trot up the road to the Coliseum, where we were to meet. I swear, all human life is there - while I waited, one woman had some sort of panic attack - lucky her friend was with her, and flagged down a black cab to take her home. Finally, someone else on the walk happened along. And then we seemed to act as a magnet, because everybody else just gravitated towards us. Indeed, they opened the theatre doors and invited us in, thinking we were there for the show! Except the organiser.. poor chap arrived, panting, just as we were giving up on him - there'd been some problem with the Northern Line, and he'd run all the way from where he got off, finally.


Well, we got underway with a multi-stop - something about the Coliseum, something about Edith Cavell, who has a statue to her just down the way - honestly, not one I ever paid attention to before - something about St. Martin-in-the Fields, which is a little further down.

Now, this was as much a pub tour as anything else - and although we passed The Nell Gwynne, with a couple of (Aussie-sounding) ladies outside who entreated us to the Strand Palace Hotel, where they worked, we were bound for the Coal Hole. Ehh.. until we saw how packed it was. So.. back to the Aussie ladies. Who recommended the Pinot Grigio as we headed in - so that was what I had! and v nice it was. And a convivial chat was had. And they were still trying to get our custom - for their hotel - as we left!



That wasn't the last we were to hear of the lady..


And so in and around Covent Garden, pointing out things we mightn't have noticed:




Our second pub was the Freemason's Arms, just down from the Freemason's Hall - as we remarked, nice and spacious and uncrowded. And we ended the night in The Round House - where the barman mentioned they had a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc - now I'm not sure what it was, but it was gorgeous. So glad I chose that. And so glad I came with this group again - one of the friendliest, one of the best nights out I've had in a while.

Tomorrow, I'm with Civilised London (CL) again. They're going to a lot of plays these days - tomorrow, we're at The Forest in Hampstead Theatre. A few famous people in this - Millie BradySilas CarsonPaul McGannGina McKeeToby Stephens.. A while ago, I was contacted by the box office to say that during rehearsals, they'd discovered that my seat had a restricted view. Which is very thorough of them! So they'd reduced the price. I had a choice to make - did I want to stay in that seat - in which case they'd give me a credit note for the price difference, or change to another seat - if available, or upgrade to a more expensive seat and pay the difference, or perhaps book for another night? Well, I didn't want another night - so I rang them, and discovered there were no other seats available at my original price, so I upgraded, and am now in the second row. Well, as she said, the view would be excellent! Anyway, this is now sold out for the entire run.

On Thursday, London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG) just advertised an LSO concert at the Barbican - so I'm going. 

On Friday, Laurence persuaded me to come on his Old Jewish Neighbourhood Walking Tour - with the 45+s, as it happens. Now, it starts in the morning - and ends with lunch - so that should be ok! Hell, it's all around my area. And my new job hasn't started yet, so..

That evening, back to Ireland for the weekend - and with more legal stuff pending, doesn't look like I can squeeze in a film. If I do, what's coming up is (ahem) Dog, where Channing Tatum - a soldier - bonds with a dog he's taking to another soldier's funeral. We'll see.

On Monday, back with LCMTG for a concert at Wigmore Hall.

Next Tuesday, Interesting Talks London is discussing - via Zoom - IEMT and Psoriasis - How Moving Your Eyes Helps a Skin Condition! Hmm..

On the second, back with CL for a Turkish meal, at Liman - meeting beforehand at The Crown, as usual.

And on the third, I was supposed to be back with Guided Walking Tours in Brighton and Sussex, for what promises to be a very interesting talk: Dark Days Virtual Show - The Dark Days of Edgar Allen Poe. Love Edgar Allen Poe, myself. But it was rescheduled today, and I can't make the new date. Have requested a refund. So, looking for something else to do, I came across Over 40 Living the Life. Who are off to the Vauxhall Comedy Club. Two interesting things about this. Firstly, the group is charging twice what the venue is advertising - so fine, I won't go with the group. Secondly, the venue is adding a 50p booking fee to what they're advertising. So, you know, seems a bit rich to advertise an "early bird" charge, then add a booking fee. But whatever. I'm going. On my own. (Oh, it does include a free drink.)

No comments:

Post a Comment