Monday 24 January 2022

Talk: Canal History and Heritage

Bit the bullet today, and resigned from what has become a nightmare of a company. Wish me luck in getting a new position.. anyway, met my ex-boss (the good one) for hot chocolate in a new coffee shop she's found, Host Cafe, in a converted church! To celebrate my escape. And it was great to see her, it's been weeks, what with lockdown.

After today's interview (again, wish me luck), I was hungry - and this is the day for something decent. So off I headed to my nearest Cote - where I changed my usual to calamari and poulet grillé, and was excellently fed. And plotted revenge.. watch this space.

And so back to what I had booked, albeit that I arrived a little late. Surrey History Meetup has another Zoom meeting - this one is on Canal History and Heritage. Forgot I had to register separately, so it's just as well he reminded me. But my, such a boring talk.. well, it was all I saw showing tonight, and I said I'd try it. I mean, here I am writing my post in the middle of it.. ah well, perhaps if I were in a more amenable mood.

Tomorrow, my first in-person Meetup with 45+ not Grumpy Old Londoners - a guided walk with Laurence Summers! This is the Feisty Fitzrovia pub tour - and since I used to live there, I can hardly refuse! Another pay-on-the-day, but I have cash.

On Wednesday - would you believe, my first Meetup of the year with Up in the Cheap Seats! Well, they're going to see Magic Goes Wrong, which I've been dying to see - again, I could hardly refuse! Yet again, I missed out on cheap tickets - ended up in the Gods, but at the end of a row, and the view should be OK. The Apollo Theatre, tickets now cheapest on the official website. And with all the seats that were still free, you never know, I might get an upgrade.. The ticket was a nightmare to book, mind - when I tried to add my payment details, it gave me an error! Failing to get a response from the box office, I tried the workaround of adding the payment details to my account and checking out again, which worked.

On Thursday, I wasn't really seeing anything - but CT then advertised two shows at 2Northdown that night. So I'm going to both! As you do. And then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - and finally get to pick up my new phone! But the Stansted Express isn't running again next Sunday, damnit..

No comments:

Post a Comment