Saturday 29 January 2022

Film: Belfast

I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - surviving the floor full of puddles when I arrived at Stansted - and finally got to pick up my new phone! Still syncing it, mind. Film for the weekend was likely to be Belfast - simply the best thing that's on in the daytime. Written and directed by Kenneth Branagh, and describes his childhood there. Jamie Dornan - looking really different, but possibly even more gorgeous, without his beard, plays his and his brother's father, coming back every second weekend from his job in England; Judi Dench and Ciarán Hinds are their grandparents. Not much about the Troubles, I heard - after all, his family left before it got too heavy - and the film has earned both praise and criticism for that. Personally, I think we have heard quite enough about them - time to see a different side to the place. Anyway, as usual, I'd see it in the Omniplex.

First off, mind, I went to pick up my mother's pension - she doesn't like to let it build up, and I guess the postmistress doesn't either, what with the constant risk of robbery! And my mother can't go for it herself. But with the post office closing at 1, I figured I'd have time - just - to get in for the film showing at 1.50. After all, I got there a bit before 1. Anyway, it wasn't busy, and I engaged her in conversation, as she's a film buff too. And damnit, if she hadn't had the choice, and gone to see Nightmare Alley! With the same rating as Belfast, I'd frankly much rather have gone to see this one - but it's not showing at matinée times around here at the weekend, and I can't do evenings, what with my mother expecting me to spend time with her. Nuts. And I had to stand and listen to her rave about it.. Grr. Hope I get to see it in due course!

So, off I went - had to get petrol on the way, and traffic was inexplicably heavy - and lo, I was slightly late. No vaccination certificate required on the way in, for once. It had started when I went in - and I'm not sure it's quite fair to say it doesn't deal with the Troubles, because when I went in, a riot was in full progress on-screen! So, what's happening is that a gang of Protestant thugs are targeting their road, trying to intimidate the Catholics living there to move out, and the Protestants peacefully coexisting with them to join the bigots.

Whatever about the other film, I am so glad I saw this one. It's an absolute triumph! Soundtrack by Van Morrison. Funny and poignant and moving and simply the story of a small boy, his first crush, and his family. Oh, and tanks rolling down the road, intimidation, a barricade at the end to stop the men of violence getting through, and vigilantes with flaming torches marching up and down every night, just to make sure the residents are safe. Aye, this was just before the Troubles started, but not much. And I developed a profound sense of nervousness throughout the film, just waiting for the next bad thing to happen - their little terraced house is hardly a defence against bombs and bullets.

But you know, that's not what stayed with me afterwards - no, what I remember most is how touching the personal stories are, and how striking the imagery is! Every shot is beautifully staged, and in the little boy's eyes, the dad - standing up to the thugs - takes on the role of the hero in a Western. And this is a kid who's mad on films - shot mostly in black and white, the film breaks into colour whenever we're shown clips of the films he's watching. (As long as they weren't originally black and white as well!)

It's not a spoiler to say they do leave, in due course - what's interesting is the motivation behind it. And they left just in time.. the film's release coincides nicely with the 50th anniversary of what you might call the real start of the Troubles - tomorrow (Sunday) is the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday.

The Stansted Express isn't running again tomorrow, damnit. And I come back to London, and we'll see how we go, job-hunt-wise. (Interview on Monday, keep your fingers crossed!)

On Monday, I booked for another Zoom talk - this is run by a new group to me, The Garden Talks (TGT), and the talk for the evening is Are We Living in the Age of Persecution? Which promised, hopefully, to be more interesting than the last online talk I attended - on canals! But just at the end of the week, Up in the Cheap Seats announced an outing to see Taboo, a charity 25th anniversary concert, celebrating the original musical by Boy George. Taking place at the Palladium, and better than half-price tickets from Show Film First! So I thought that sounded rather better, and booked it. Similarly priced tickets available with London Box Office for that day. 

On Tuesday, I've plumped for something I've seen advertised a lot, but never attended - again on Zoom, this time it's a Free Tuesday Sing-a-long for Health and Pleasure, courtesy of Global Music Fusion & Arts.  As advertised by Free Stuff and Free Events - which might just be the first thing I've done with them. Happens weekly, apparently, lasts an hour - the words are on-screen. Could be good.

On Wednesday, my first Meetup of the year with Civilised London! And as usual, it's dinner - yum! We're off again to Little Georgia, meeting beforehand at The Crown.

On Thursday, heading with London Classical Music and Theatre Group - and I was lucky to see it, what with Meetup not even suggesting the event when I was looking for something that day! If it hadn't been for some mention over the last couple of events with them, of some event happening next week.. Anyway, we're off to see the LSO at the Barbican - wildcard tickets sadly sold out by the time I booked.

On Friday, headed with the London European Club to the Puppet Theatre Barge, for a performance of The Red Balloon!

Next Saturday, back with the 45+ Not Grumpy Old Londoners, and Laurence Summers - got the last spot on his Passage through Pimlico walk! which, as he was telling me on Tuesday, is through a not very well-known part of town! Well, this one should at least be warmer, being in daytime..

On the 6th - Crick Crack is back! Now, this is an interesting one - Japanese ghost stories, the event is called The Game of Candles, with each story represented by a lit candle, which is blown out when the story is completed. Taking place at the British MuseumTim Ralphs and Sarah-Liisa Wilkinson performing. Sold out now - they're only doing half capacity.

And on the 7th - another interesting talk by TGT! This one is What Conditions Create Witch Hunts? Have to say, Meetup seems to have awoken from the doldrums..!

No comments:

Post a Comment