Thursday 20 January 2022

Concert: The 23 String Orchestra

Tonight, back with the same group for a concert by the 23 String Orchestra at Cadogan Hall. This had cheap ticket offers too, but I booked too late - hey, it's been hectic!

After another frustrating day at work - when just one thing that happened was that the contractor who was supposed to help me, because the company is too cheap to hire another writer, announced she was quitting (too much work, and I don't blame her) - I quit early for the day and headed off. Google Maps assured me that I could make it by bus in under an hour, so I said I'd try.

My though, but it's cold out - I had trouble even standing still while I waited, with the vicious breeze. And when I got to Waterloo, and had to change buses, I had fun - the roads around there are tricky. I needed to get to Station Approach - but you can't from Waterloo Road, there's a big brick wall in the way; you actually have to go into the station and out another side entrance! And then it turned out to be the terminus, which meant I had to stand and stare at a dark, empty bus until the driver finished his break. By which stage I'd pretty much turned into an icicle. I'd just missed the one I should have got, and thought I'd be a little late - but actually, we made excellent time, accompanied for most of the journey by a bloke blasting reggae from the back.

So I wasn't that late arriving. As I arrived, one doorman was strictly admonishing the other not to let anyone in without a ticket! At which point I arrived, and was - gee - asked whether I had a ticket. YES! And once that was scanned, I was in. Spied one of the others at a table in the bar, where the third finally joined us - sadly, our number didn't include the organiser, who wasn't feeling well and didn't come. But we had a great old chat, and I rather fancied alcohol. It's been that sort of week. Happily, you can take it into the auditorium, so I spent most of the evening imbibing.


Row DD (along with AA, BB, and CC) is towards the front, as it happens, so I had a nice, close seat. We had printed programs, kindly distributed by a couple of ladies in the bar - and from these, learned that the first piece was Sibelius: Romance in C. Short and sweet, and I loved it. This was followed by Strauss' Metamorphosen for 23 Solo Strings, after which the orchestra itself was apparently named - another lovely piece to take us to the interval.

The second half started with a flute concerto, followed by Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings. Gorgeous music.. just a pity we didn't meet afterwards, but I needed the loo, and by the time I got to the bar, the others had gone. Never mind, it was great to see them! and I was earlier home - on a single bus. Faster at night, you see.

Tomorrow, Ivan can't make it, but I'm meeting another ex-coworker for a meal at Cote.

On Saturday, back with Cultureseekers - for the first time in person! They're off to the Cinema Museum - apparently only group visits are allowed, these days, and it only reopens the day before. They also have a talk organised. With a choice of two times, I have - of course - chosen the later one! Cash on the day - I'll have to get some.

On Sunday, ooh - London European Club is at a storytelling event in King's Place! Not Crick Crack this time - this appears to be an independent event, a telling of The Little Prince, with piano accompaniment. Sounds lovely!

On Monday, Surrey History Meetup has another Zoom meeting - this one is on Canal History and Heritage.

On Tuesday, my first in-person Meetup with 45+ not Grumpy Old Londoners - a guided walk with Laurence Summers! This is the Feisty Fitzrovia pub tour - and since I used to live there, I can hardly refuse! Another pay-on-the-day, damnit.

On Wednesday - would you believe, my first Meetup of the year with Up in the Cheap Seats! Well, they're going to see Magic Goes Wrong, which I've been dying to see - again, I could hardly refuse! Yet again, I missed out on cheap tickets - ended up in the Gods, but at the end of a row, and the view should be OK. The Apollo Theatre, tickets now cheapest on the official website. And with all the seats that are still free, you never know, I might get an upgrade.. The ticket was a nightmare to book, mind - when I tried to add my payment details, it gave me an error! Failing to get a response from the box office, I tried the workaround of adding the payment details to my account and checking out again, which worked.

Next Thursday, I wasn't really seeing anything - but CT just advertised two shows at 2Northdown that night. So I'm going to both! As you do. And then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend - and finally get to pick up my new phone! But the Stansted Express isn't running again that Sunday, damnit..

No comments:

Post a Comment