Thursday 6 January 2022

Concert: LSO

Tonight, a new organiser with London Classical Music and Theatre Group (LCMTG) arranged an outing to a classical concert by the London Symphony Orchestra at the Barbican.. and wouldn't you know it, I had just booked the same thing with TAC! So I signed up - we'd been chatting over the last few days, it'd be nice to meet her. Turns out she's in the same club, and seems to be starting a habit of booking their events - so I'll know to check their listings if I see something from her!

After a(nother) rotten day at work, I set off - pretty much in time - to walk there in light drizzle. She'd told us where to meet - but when I got there, I couldn't see anyone! Was wondering whether I'd got the details wrong when I bumped into someone I knew - from Up in the Cheap Seats - who, it turned out, had just booked today! And then others arrived.. including the elusive organiser I'd missed twice before! Phew, at last I know what he looks like. And then tonight's organiser arrived, and finally someone whose trains had been delayed - and we had the full quota. Terrific! and we had a good natter before we went in - and could take a very generous free programme at the door!

Most of us were in the stalls, but I'd booked closest to the stage..


Did I feel immersed in the music? Yes I did! Not everyone appreciated being so close, however - the guy in the seat beside me remarked to his companion, at the interval, that he should have known, as we had been warned that the stage was extended for this performance. Some prefer a broader view of the orchestra - me, I thought the proximity made a dramatic evening's repertoire even more powerful! and probably assisted in my enjoyment of the first, modern, rather dissonant piece, getting its world premiere. I could practically feel it when the instruments on my side were being played.

At the interval, opinion was divided in our group.. one of whom had gone AWOL - perhaps already left, not being impressed? That'd be a shame. Anyway, I think people in general were happier with the second half - personally, I'm a huge fan of Sibelius, and the Bartók piece that followed went well with the dramatic tone. When they'd finished, the conductor - the famous Sir Simon Rattle - turned to the audience and remarked how lucky we were to be there, to be out, and how it wasn't even 9pm - so we had a few minutes we could use for Dvorak's Slavonic Dance. Which was a fun way to end the evening. A powerful  concert, and a lovely group of people - roll on the next one! Unfortunately, it was still drizzling on the way home..

Tomorrow, North London Friends is off to - Matthew Bourne's production of The Nutcracker, at Sadler's Wells! Aw man, I've been dying to see this! Well, they had their own tickets, and all are now sold out - but they were more expensive than I tend to go for, anyway. So I booked one of my regular seats, in the gods, a single seat to the side. Perfect. (Annoyingly, CT offered tickets to this - very briefly - last year, but by the time I checked, they were all gone. But my seat isn't expensive anyway.) Had to reset my password - they've enhanced the security requirements for passwords.

On Saturday - ironically, the most expensive thing I've booked - I'm headed with London European Club to an Albrecht Durer exhibition at the National Gallery. I could have booked for free if I'd taken out membership, but I don't think I'd get the value of it. We're supposed to get access to a free audio guide with the booking, accessible through our smartphones, but I can't seem to see any evidence of it.. if we are getting one, I'll have to pop into the office tomorrow, I left my headphones in there! Might be an idea to clear out my desk.. there isn't much left. Anyway, we're meeting beforehand at Notes Coffee.

That's around lunchtime - and in the evening, that same LCMTG organiser has booked for Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike, in Charing Cross Theatre. Not far from the National Gallery - I guess I'll hang around for dinner in the area. Now, this was a funny one, because we both booked with TAC - but when someone else wanted to book, he went to the theatre website, where it said Saturday's performances were cancelled! Much to-ing and fro-ing eventually clarified that actually, the performances are going ahead, but only for an invited audience - including TAC. Well, don't we feel privileged! 

On Sunday, I'm with Discover London - History Walks and Events for a walk entitled Bawdy Borough: Poverty, Prostitutes and Playhouses. Cash on the day, annoyingly - I just about have it, as long as she doesn't mind a bit of change!

And on Monday, back with LCMTG, for a Gabrieli Consort & Players concert at Wigmore Hall. And wouldn't you know it, the organiser gave his seat number - so, when I saw the seat beside him was free, I booked it! Well, I know him now..

No comments:

Post a Comment