Tuesday 11 January 2022

Film: Drive My Car

Today was, of course, film - and what came up was Drive My Car, a Japanese film whose closest showing to me was in the Curzon Bloomsbury. Didn't book out, so I didn't book.

Damnit, second night in a row when I could have got the bus, but work made me late! For heavens' sake, the sooner I quit that place, the better - they always land stuff on me at the end of the day. Took the Tube, just made it in time. Funnily enough, I can never quite find this cinema easily - it's in the middle of the Brunswick Centre, and you'd hardly notice it! It looks just like any other pop-up, and with the back windows full of bottles, you'd think it was a bar. Nope, but they do have a bar - on each level: and as one guy behind the counter sold me a ticket, the other asked whether I'd like anything else.

And I said.. why the hell not? I'm celebrating, you see - had a phone screen for another job today, which I thought didn't go great, but later heard I'm through to the next round, on Thursday: and at practically the same time, heard back from last week's interview, wanting me to do a writing test, and then continue with the round of interviews. WooHOO! Either would be a massive improvement on where I am now. So, naturally, I balanced a glass of wine all the way downstairs to the cinema. The guy had asked me whether I wanted large or medium, I said large. "It's a long one," he said - "you'll need it!"

Long as it was, they didn't skimp on the ads - it was 8.20 when it started, 11.20 when it finished. Now, how shall I describe this? I am a big fan of ASMR - I find ASMR videos on YouTube very relaxing. There's one guy in particular, from Sweden, who not only has a gorgeous accent and very soothing voice, but relevant to this film, he has posted a number of "bus trip" videos, tracing a route from the far North of Sweden to the very South. His soft voice names every stop on the route, slowly and carefully, as you are supposedly travelling on the last night bus, all the way, listening to the constant engine noise, the radio playing softly, and the sound of soft rain on the windows..

Mmm yes, and I did have to stop for several minutes there to listen again, it's been a while! Anyway. Point is, there's a lot of driving in this film - the main actor spends more time in his car than anywhere else, it seems. And regardless of whether you associate long road trips with ASMR - they are fantastic for reflection, which is what happens here. It's no spoiler to say that his wife dies, early (well, 40 minutes) into the film - it says as much in the trailer. Up to that point, he mainly drives himself - until diagnosed with glaucoma, when she drives him briefly. But, two years after her death - as we're informed - he takes himself off to Hiroshima, where he's the artist in residence (he's an actor). And there, he finds he must needs have a chauffeur - who, it turns out, is a young woman.

He has chosen a hotel an hour from the theatre, so he can learn lines on the way. And as they drive, and drive - an awful lot of reflection is done, by both. In fact, even when they give someone a lift, that passenger ends up reflecting too. Meanwhile - it's stunning to look at. I never thought of Hiroshima as a tourist destination, but this really shows it off.. be it shots of the ocean, or the hills, or the snow at the end (they're coming into winter).. or just the way the camera lingers on faces, this is beautifully shot. Multi-award-winning, for direction, acting, and screenplay, as well as best picture - there are definitely those who'll say it's long and slow, but I say it's considered. Of all the long films I've seen, this one is definitely worth it. But yes, it is three hours, so set the time aside.. And yes, I got the bus home!

Tomorrow, back with Invigorate, for a tour of "3 Historic Belgravia Pubs". My first event with them this year! Happily, my legs are working again, although I'm still stiff and sore in sundry places. And have a spectacular bruise on that toe! Still dunno exactly how that happened - but anyway, I should be fine.

On Thursday, my ex-coworker is talking about meeting up - dunno exactly where yet, but I did recommend the Duke of Sussex. So I can tell him how I got on that day. And then I'm back to Ireland for the weekend.. and hallelujah, they've dropped the testing requirement again!

No comments:

Post a Comment